Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #16

I took a low speed unscheduled dismount on a dirt road last summer wearing textile gear. One second I was up, the next I was launched. The padding did everything it was designed to do and I walked away from it with nothing more but a bruised ego. In that particular situation leather probably would have worked just as well. The main difference I think will be the quality of the gear. If the gear is too cheaply made when you need it the worst it will fall apart rather than provide protection.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #17

Hey BigRat, I also value my elbows. In fact, as an ATGATT guy, I always wear full body armour from waist up...in the form of the Juggernaut Mesh Shirt with sewn in armour from ( www.highvelocitygear.com ). I wear that under my textile Cordova Prorider jacket (with armour all around) on colder days. Up here it is not too hot most of the time, but we do get plenty of the heat waves. On a typical summer day I wear a light Yamaha racing mesh jacket (with minimal armour and breaths well) over the Juggernaut armour. These combos are always worn with leather chaps over jeans, leather HD riding boots,and full leather gloves. On a hot day I may wear the fingerless ones. Yes, I get plenty warm on a hot day, but this is a risky habit and its worth the sacrifise to me! I am seriously considering the Forcefield Action shorts and Forcefield Jeus knee protectors next. I have only gotten back to riding in the last 2 seasons and still have a lot to learn. I feel a lot safer and ready to handle a spill if it should happen. Is anybody out there considering the Action Shorts ? Btw how comfy are the knee/shin armour your showing us ? Cheers.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #18

Back when I crashed in May 2011, my leather jacket saved me a Lot of road rash, mind you the jacket got shredded, and I still received plenty of road rash, but nothing compared to what I would have had. And lucky it was the day I chose to wear my full face helmet, or I most likely wouldn't be writing this now. I landed on my front, and my face slid almost the entire 100 yards or more down the pavement. It wore the front off the helmet chin gaurd and visor, but my head and face came out intact.++``````

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
+1 I agree with Scott, My excuse is that there is minimal traffic here and the roads I ride I'm lucky to see a car every 4-5 miles. I've had my close calls but if you pay attention to others (cagers) on the road you'll be fine.

Now that I said that I really need to watch out.
With all due respect Dave... accidents do not always involve other cars. Just ask Scott, Stan, or me. While Scott slowed to avoid a stopping car when his tires were on a man-hole cover, causing it to slip-out from under him; my accident was over-spray of herbicide from a farmer making the road like a sheet of ice (and you could not see it). Stan's accident didn't involve a car either.

Just saying Dave...

Otherwise, I always wear a helmet, long pants, ankle-high boots with gripping soles, and gloves. I know... ATGATT I am not...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #20

Neither did mine.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
In all honesty, in the middle of the summer heat how many of you guys wear ATGATT?
I know it has been 90* here all last week and I rode in my half helmet and my tshirt. I do wear leather boots every single day though, but thats my normal attire. I usually wear at least my fingerless gloves even in the heat also. I know that if go down on the way to or from work, I have very little protection at all.
Full face helmet, mesh jacket or leather depending on temp, boots, gloves/not fingerless and looking into bon armor pants for this year.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #22

On the bottom, I like the combination of Bohn Armor http://www.bohnarmor.com/
and Duluth Trading Co Firehose Loggers http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...igin=mens-home

Armor pads in the armor and two layers of fire hose jacketing at knees, hips and butt. Just look like pants but you have the impact protection as well as abrasion protection. Warm enough in the Winter (with guard chaps, See Bamabrat for more info) but not too hot in summer either.

I use a an armored mesh jacket almost all year. On riding days in the winter Layer up and it works fine.

Don't forget boots and gloves. I've run too many calls with a leather clad biker whose naked hands are destroyed from the pavement than I care to remember.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
Advanced Member

Stan,
I own this jacket. I think it does everything you want at a decent price!

http://www.motorcyclecenter.com/p/Sh...et/141212.html

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (past)
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)
1967 Pannonia T8 250 (past)
1971 Honda 100 Twin (past)

Old 01-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbke View Post
Stan,
I own this jacket. I think it does everything you want at a decent price!

http://www.motorcyclecenter.com/p/Sh...et/141212.html
Looks like a real nice jacket and a very reasonable price smbke .
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #25

That does look like a good jacket at that price.

VBA #27
VROC #18951