Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemogolee View Post
Greetings.

Your view of braking in a turn is a common one. Follow the link (to another Forum I play on). It has what I believe is a great explanation of why braking is ok in a turn if done correctly.

http://www.bccruisers.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=292

Now, back to the topic of ABS ... I have it on my 2011 Voyager and it, combinded with the K-ACT braking system, works like a dream.

Most riders can achieve about 55-60 percent of available braking. This is mostly because of poor technique, no recent practice and a fear of locking up the wheels. If they practice regularly (using the correct technique) they of course can greatly increase that number.

However, with ABS even the unskilled rider can obtain about 95 percent of available braking using the correct ABS technique of smoothly and rapidly squeezing the front brake lever while smoothly and rapidly pushing on the rear brake pedal until stopped. He has the confidence to use this technique because he knows the ABS will keep the brakes from locking.

I believe that ABS is one of the best safety devices you can have on a motorcycle and if the bike you are buying has it as an option you should buy it.

best regards,

Shemogolee
Actually Steve I do not disagree with the statement in the link; and I actually do brake occasionally in a corner if I did not enter correctly (rarely happens though ).

However, as he is stating, the braking needs to be subtle and very controlled to prevent wheel skid or extreme adjustment to the attitude of the bike.

The problem mentioned in my post with linked ABS is that this removes some of that subtle control a rider has without linked ABS.

For the record, I like ABS and made sure my next bike would have it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Lucky stars. Glad you are okay Scott.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #18

Ouch... I hate that feeling.
Its happened to me a couple times. I'll just be riding along casually and catch something slick whether its some slick spots in the road ( tar snakes ) or oil... I do agree that ABS is something that you learn to really appreciate as time goes on.

Also though, I realize that proper gear can help save me a lot... The normal leather jacket will do a lot protecting you against the asphalt.
Check these jackets out, I believe they're pretty reasonably priced. http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/motorcycle-jackets.htm

Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
Top Contributor

The only 2 real issues with the "cheap" jackets are weight and softness (if that's a word). The local leather shop has a few "cheap(er)" jackets I've tried on. They're very thick and heavy (which I guess has it's advantages) but more importantly, they're very stiff. I'm not sure they could be broken in well, no matter how much you wore them. My chaps are one of the "cheap(er)" varieties. They're comfortable but still stiff at the knees even after wearing them for a couple seasons. Not sure all that would keep me from buying a $60 jacket if the rest of the quality were good (stitching, overall fit, etc).
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860