Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > 2018 CanadaEast/Northeast U.S. Rally

Old 07-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
That’s quick. I may be mistaken but I believe you were just behind us for awhile after leaving the CB trail motel?
Yes, I followed along for a while but traffic eventually separated us, not that I was trying to keep up. I had a great time at the rally even tho it was a last minute decision to attend for a couple days. Thanks to all who helped organize the event.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #17

It's the latest craze in tire repair.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #18

Made it home around 6:00 central. Had a great time. Thanks to cnc and every one that made the rally happen. Great to meet a great bunch of people. Hope to see you next time.
VBA#642
Custer National Rally 2009
Regional Prairie Du Chien 2010
National Maggie Valley 2011
2008 Red and Black Nomad
2008 Pearl White Goldwing

Old 07-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Made it home around 6:00 central. Had a great time. Thanks to cnc and every one that made the rally happen. Great to meet a great bunch of people. Hope to see you next time.
Glade your safely home Denny. Not much preparation involved this time round, we picked a destination, picked a motel and let things evolve on the fly. Seems like it mostly worked out well.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesherpa View Post
Mary and I, Norm and Cheryl, and Tim and Cindy rode together to Amherst. We stopped for lunch where Tim and Cindy parted for PEI.

We decided to ride to Woodstock and stay at the motel Norm and Cheryl had stayed at on the way to Baddeck. As Norm posted, he ran into tire problem late Friday afternoon. Fortunately we were in an area where Norm was able to get it replaced. We pulled into the motel at around 10:30 pm.

Saturday morning, we said our goodbyes to Norm and Cheryl. While travelling down the TCH my reserve light came on. Seems like it did that quite a bit this trip. Made it to Houlton and filled up. Then we traveled the back roads of Maine. They were great until we hit a parade in one of the towns we traveled through. Don't know how long we were there but it sure seemed like a long time. Finally, we continued on our back road journey. Then we came across some sort of police activity (arrest?) out in the middle of no where that stopped traffic. Then the hunt for a motel began. Since we were on the back roads, we didn't come across any motels. So we stopped for supper and I went on line to find a motel. Reserved a room in Freeport, ME. On the way to Freeport, we ran across another event that had the streets shut down. I was able to maneuver around the event but was unable to find the motel. Stopped at the local fire department and they gave us directions to the motel. When we arrived at the motel, they were all booked up. Seems like I entered the wrong date when I booked the room on line. We spent the rest of the night looking for a motel room with no luck. We continued on home and my reserve light came back on. Since it was after midnight, most of the gas stations were shut down. But I finally found a 24 hours station. We arrived home at 1:30 AM (or 2:30 AM Atlantic time) Sunday morning! Just another tale on the road from Baddeck.

Glad to hear most of us have made it home safely. Hope those of you still travelling have a good journey.

Looking forward to our next gathering. And don't forget to try the Sticky Rice Pudding!
Wow! Now that is an adventurous ride home! Glad you made it safe and sound.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
I was home in 2 days, 1100kms Friday to Levis, QC then 1000 Saturday.
No problems with the bike, battery, tires, or luggage........... boring!
Glad you made it home safe.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #22

I'm in Newburgh, NY. What a soggy day! I had fog, rain, wind, sunshine, rain and sunshine, rain wind and sunshine, ... well you get the idea. But the traffic was the worst part. To many slowdowns plus plenty of idiot drivers.

But I made it. Two more days to go, and it looks like rain all the way.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
I'm in Newburgh, NY. What a soggy day! I had fog, rain, wind, sunshine, rain and sunshine, rain wind and sunshine, ... well you get the idea. But the traffic was the worst part. To many slowdowns plus plenty of idiot drivers.

But I made it. Two more days to go, and it looks like rain all the way.
Don’t know which is worse to ride in, rain, really hot and humid, or rides with no hotel at the end!

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #24

Where do I start
Left the motel early this morning. Figured we could do 405 miles to get home.
Misting a little when we left then turned into a downpour. It rained for probably 300 of the 405 miles. 200 of that was in downpours off and on.
The new commander 2 tire I have on the rear is pretty bad at stopping on wet roads. First time it happened I fishtailed trying to stop for an exit, had to let off and reapply a couple times to get stopped on the side of the road. Then uturn and go 50 yards on the side of the road against traffic
The second time was in rush hour traffic in Albany NY. Traffic in the lane I was supposed to be in to exit slowed real fast, I could not get stopped as the tire fishtailed again on the wet road. I let off and swerved into the other lane ahead of a line of cars. Cindy didn't have enough room to go with me. Soooooooooo, we got separated, in Albany, in rush hour traffic.
She had to stay in the exit lane. So we are out of range for the intercoms and I think, well she knew we were supposed to take the 1E exit and then get on I-90 west and she is a smart girl. I pulled over because the GPS was telling me to make a bunch of turns. I get my phone out to call her and NO MOBILE SERVICE
It has been about 10 min. and I have no idea where she is and she has no idea where I am and we cannot get in touch. So I follow the GPS hoping it reroutes me to I-90 west hoping she will be there. I was never so happy to see her waiting there in my life. I was really stressing out. She was also. She tried to call me 7 times in 10 min. and could not get an answer.

We are home now and despite the problems we encountered and the lousy weather on the way home it was a great time meeting and laughing with friends again.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Where do I start
Left the motel early this morning. Figured we could do 405 miles to get home.
Misting a little when we left then turned into a downpour. It rained for probably 300 of the 405 miles. 200 of that was in downpours off and on.
The new commander 2 tire I have on the rear is pretty bad at stopping on wet roads. First time it happened I fishtailed trying to stop for an exit, had to let off and reapply a couple times to get stopped on the side of the road. Then uturn and go 50 yards on the side of the road against traffic
The second time was in rush hour traffic in Albany NY. Traffic in the lane I was supposed to be in to exit slowed real fast, I could not get stopped as the tire fishtailed again on the wet road. I let off and swerved into the other lane ahead of a line of cars. Cindy didn't have enough room to go with me. Soooooooooo, we got separated, in Albany, in rush hour traffic.
She had to stay in the exit lane. So we are out of range for the intercoms and I think, well she knew we were supposed to take the 1E exit and then get on I-90 west and she is a smart girl. I pulled over because the GPS was telling me to make a bunch of turns. I get my phone out to call her and NO MOBILE SERVICE
It has been about 10 min. and I have no idea where she is and she has no idea where I am and we cannot get in touch. So I follow the GPS hoping it reroutes me to I-90 west hoping she will be there. I was never so happy to see her waiting there in my life. I was really stressing out. She was also. She tried to call me 7 times in 10 min. and could not get an answer.

We are home now and despite the problems we encountered and the lousy weather on the way home it was a great time meeting and laughing with friends again.
Again wow, so many “ that didn’t go as planned “ stories “on the road from Beddeck” glade your both home safe. Bet you will be considering a different rear tire before that one wears out. I had cobras on and the only rear radial I could get that was also radial was a Dunlop e3. It is coming off if it doesn’t improve. Noisy from the moment I left the dealer. Thought it might wear in, even had all the bike apart when we got home thinking it was a bearing or something. It rumbles like an 18 wheeler tire, but hey it was round and had air so it got the job done.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 07-23-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #26

I had an E3's on my Nomad one time.
It they made so much noise I couldn't wait to get them worn out.
They never did quiet down.
I had both front and rear changed for the trip. Commander 2 tires are a longer lasting tire because of the harder compound. I have lost all confidence in these tires on wet pavement and that is not good on a motorcycle.
I will research tires and may replace them well before they wear out.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #27

Thanks for confirming the e3 noise Tim, guess I will put the bike back together and stop looking for possible other cause. Wonder how Cobras would work out on your victory?, they are my tire of choice for the Nomad.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #28

A ton of rain coming South, too. Left Newburgh, NY this morning. Rain all day, a lot of it very hard. First time I ever had to pull under an overpass because I just couldn't see it was raining so hard. Not an exit in sight, not that I could have seen one, sheesh! I finally made it to a hotel in Lexington VA. I'm beat. One more day. I'm going a little out of my way by going more westerly tomorrow to get out of this infernal rain.

I haven't had any problems stopping on wet roads with the MCIIs, but I can definitely feel that they don't have the wet grip a softer tire would have.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
A ton of rain coming South, too. Left Newburgh, NY this morning. Rain all day, a lot of it very hard. First time I ever had to pull under an overpass because I just couldn't see it was raining so hard. Not an exit in sight, not that I could have seen one, sheesh! I finally made it to a hotel in Lexington VA. I'm beat. One more day. I'm going a little out of my way by going more westerly tomorrow to get out of this infernal rain.

I haven't had any problems stopping on wet roads with the MCIIs, but I can definitely feel that they don't have the wet grip a softer tire would have.
I am watching on the news lots of rain and flash flooding all about. Ride safe Phil

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #30

Tim and Cindy, glad to hear your home safe and sound. Nothing worse than having tires you can't depend on.

Phil, hang in there. Want to hear you arrived home safely.