Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #16

I love my Nomad, and that's the truth

[quote author=buck board=offnomad thread=1207453215 post=1207507824]..what are you looking for? If it's cache, buy the Harley, they are good bikes and hold their value.

In 5 years a harley loses about 45% per nada and a nomad loses about 50% in value but the 45% is much more money loss than the 50% so there you go. BTW I like my nomad just fine and havent had a bad thing said about it from any one on any bike. This is my second Kawasaki the first was a Z1 900 in the 80s the harley eater and everthing else I came up against.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #17

I like my Nomad! I purchased it for two-up riding with my wife and it does that fine.

Besides minor things, I wouldn't change it much. You can always wish for more power/ better milage/ect. I don't think that its that we're complaining... Its just that we're always reaching for that "perfect" piece.

I wouldn't even think about getting rid of it. My wife rides a 900 Classic (when she's not behind me), and its a nice bike, too. But my Nomad lets us ride together in comfort.

Michael

Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #18

I rode with 4 other couples yesterday. We went a little over 100 miles. there was a Honda 1100 Shadow, a Honda 750 Aero, a Yamaha 1300 Tourer and a BMW 1200LT.
When we stopped for lunch most of the conversation was about the Nomad. When we stopped for coffee at the end of the ride most of the conversation was about the Nomad and the BMW.
I mean everyone liked my bike. It makes me feel I made the right decision. Not that I need others approval, but thats like icing on the cake
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #19
Mega-Contributor

I am totally satisfied with my Nomad. That doesn't mean I don't have the desire to continuously try to improve on perfection by doing little mods and stuff. To me, that's part of the fun. I'm a tinkerer by nature, so that's what I do for fun.

I have a buddy who rides an '06 Road King, he's had Harleys for years. We were on a ride a couple of weeks ago, and he's asking me all kinds of questions about my bike. He finally tells me he's planning to sell his RK and he's thinking of replacing it with a
Nomad. To me, that's a real compliment. One negative, he told me was the lack of Kawasaki touring gear, like a fairing and tourpack, I've showed him where he can get that stuff, so maybe that will overcome his objections.

If you ask me (and you didn't) Kawasaki is missing the boat by not offering a real touring package, either on the Nomad, V2K, or both. If they want to capture more of the big touring cruiser market, they need to offer the kind of accessories that are customary with bikes of this class. That's not a criticism of my bike, just what I've gathered from talking to others.

I was thinking just yesterday how nice it is to have that big engine, and how I don't always appreciate it just driving to/from work or other short errands. It's when you're cruising at 65 on the open road and you want to go 80 that you see the benefit of that big v-twin.

Yep, I like my Nomad. I think she's a real keeper.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #20

I think we all add our personal touches.Mine so far have been either comfort or safety items.Risers, driving lights, and reflectors on the back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #21

I really like the Nomad in fact this is the first time that I have let one of the bikes battery run down from not riding it enough....sorry Guzzi. I wonder.........does the Nomad and the Guzzi sneer at each other in the garage?
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #22

Nah, they have their own relationship.They just keep it a secret from you.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

My 2cw... You can't possibly go wrong with a Nomad. Just take a look at all the satisfied customers on this forum alone!!! Sure, we would like to personalize our Nomads to fit ourselves and personal preferences... risers, lights, gadgets, pipes...etc.. but the base Nomad is what we all started with because it was the best fit for what we wanted overall!!! I'm with CJ though in that MawKaw is missing the boat on factory accessories. That's not to say there aren't accessories out there...just not in comparison to HD or even Honda for that matter in the metric market. Rather you like to go fast or slow.... Lots of chrome or played down.... short rider or an Iron Butt... Hell...as Dano has proven...2 wheeler or 3 wheeler!! ... the Nomad is a great bike that can be adjusted to fit your every need or desire!!

To me though...what has made making changes the easiest, is this forum!! Personal experience and ideas we share here are priceless!! Like TC said, "Trip must have one hell of an insight!!"

Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

radco, I did this twice so far.. 01 1500 with Cadd himself the first time.

In Cal we installed V&H baggers from stock, added a TFI chip (4 pots) and the Caddman-Q Kit. The bike had 21,000 on it then.

I put 9,000 of those on it riding to Cal from NH. In addition I switched to mobil 1, and put on 1 size up rear tire, and a new ft tire both 880 metzlers.

I was more than shoked to find I got 10 mpg's more than I did stock, more so riding 2 up every day, and pulling a trailer over all weight apx 300 pounds.

I was expecting more power and got that too.

Well on May 16th , just 4 days shy of owning that bike 1 full year it got stolen. That is another tale.

When the dust settled I bought a used 06 in June of 06, with 1,.413 miles on it. I rode that for another 2,000 miles or so as it was other than getting bag rails, foot peds and the like.

When I had what I considered enough miles to change to Mobile 1, I also did V&H baggers, another TFI chip, and another Caddman Q kit.

I never had coasters , and so just capped off the breathers. I capped off the rest iof the stuff too, pulling the solenoids and plugging/ capping the holes where needed.

This time I expected both the better miles per gallon and the power, and got both.

The 06 is slightly better in terms of MPG than the 01 was.

I am more than willing to duplicate this on anyone's bike who will buy the parts and come to me.

I also run 87 octane and on occasion mix 89 in on hotter days.

The rear tire as OEM is junk on my bike with 9,000 miles on it, so I will be getting Metzlers both ft and rear this Spring, as soon as I can get my bike out of a enclosed trailer, where it was stored over winter, and is buried in snow.

My season will start much later than nearly everyone, as the snow here is incredible still.

From what I read here I see many using a single 50 cent resistor, and maybe that is why they drop a coiuple mpg's.

When I gas up I stop apx at 170 miles before the yellow lamp lights. I take on apx 3.0 gallons pretty much each time.

Not to sure just when that light comes on as I don't like the idea of warming a fuel pump too much. I am assuming it is in the gas, for cooling, and so as long as it stays in gas it will be cooler and last longer I hope.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to ianicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussMatt
To me though...what has made making changes the easiest, is this forum!! Personal experience and ideas we share here are priceless!! Like TC said, "Trip must have one hell of an insight!!"
+1

Old 04-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #26
Top Contributor

I'm so happy I could sh*t. That's my story and I'm stickin it to the man

Old 04-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #27
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Oops! I'll be right back!..........

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Old 04-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #29

Very interesting macman...thanks for sharing.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #30
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Oops! I'll be right back!..........

Light a match pleeeeeze :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED