Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #31

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Hang in there Cadd and best of luck. Hope you can kick that nasty habit.

I need to do the same thing.

Keep fighting brother,

Chris

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #32

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

This time ya have a fine support group here to sound off to. Might be the difference.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #33

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Coming up on the 72 hour mark, and no serious adverse affects yet. I might be eating just a tad more than normal, and about once an hour I gotta remind myself that I'm outta cigars when I get that clock-like urge.

It's all to easy at this point, which is why I know the hard part ain't struck yet.

I'm still livin' on stored nicotine, and I don't really know how long it takes to dissipate. Probably a month or more.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #34

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

A few benefits.
20 minutes: BP, Pulse, temperature of hands and feet return to normal.

8 Hours: CO level drops to mormal, O2 level increases to normal.

24 Hours: Chances of heart attack decrease.

48 Hours:Nerve endings start to regenerate,ability to taste and smell is enhanced.

72 Hours: Bronchial tubes relax, lung capacity increases.

Those are the benefits you have reaped so far. Makes ya feel good doesn't it?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #35

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Sounds encouraging, but I don't think I'm improving quite that rapidly. I have a notoriously slow metabolism. ::)

At least I'm not suffering the mental confusion of that first day. The first 24 hours is 10 times as bad as the second 24. After 80 hours things definately look rosier.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #36

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Yeah, the first day is horrible. Each day that passes gets a wee bit easier . I know for me it has always been a tough deal. Three times I quit over the past 34 years, and three times I relapsed. Twice after 3 years and once after 2 years.I guess the old adage "you're a puff away from a pack a day" is true for me. Hang in there,we're all pullin for ya.
Oh,one more benefit I've found. It sure makes it easier to cover miles when I don't have to stop for a cigarette when I'm out on the road.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #37

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

CQ, Hang in there man. You'll be so glad you did, more time to post and ride along with a few other things!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #38

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Hang in there, man! You'll be glad you did. My son, who is 24, took up smoking in high school. He quit 2 or 3 times, he's been off the cancer sticks for 2-3 years now. The first few days are the roughest. Will power...will power!
My son who is 25 smokes. He also started in high school. He is in the Army. They did a lung function test recently and told him he has the lungs of a 52 year old. Me nor his dad have never smoked nor does his brother. I don't nag but I do wish he would quit while he is still young.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 04-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #39

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

It is a tough battle. Took me having a heart attack. I started when I was 26.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #40

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Well, lessee...I had the last one 10:oo PM on 4-2-08 so that's 6 days or 144 hours. I just left everything hanging around. Pipes, tobacco, lighter, ashtray, tasty looking cigar butts with a dozen good hits left in them. So far I haven't touched any of it. Last time I put stuff away and threw stuff away, like that would help. It didn't. There's a liquor store a block from here with 500 lbs of tobacco on the shelves. I'd just be kidding myself if I put it at arms length and thought that made it easier.

Fortunately, I don't seem to have any sustained drawn-out unmanagable heebee-jeebee cravings. I get the notion that it's time, just like clockwork, I grit my teeth for two seconds, remind myself that I've quit, and it's gone. Poof! Gone for another hour usually, although I've had several incidents within 30 minutes this afternoon, and I had to remind myself a little harder than normal.

But it's working. It's working slowly but it's working. Also I was spending about $4 a day. I figure that's $120 a month or $1450 a year. In ten years I'll save up enough for a new Nomad. ;)

Old 04-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #41

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

With the money I saved I have been buying $5 worth of lottery tickets per week.I'm still $50 ahead every week.Who knows,I might even get a return one of these weeks. You're doing great though.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #42

Send a message via MSN to ianicky
Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Also I was spending about $4 a day. I figure that's $120 a month or $1450 a year. In ten years I'll save up enough for a new Nomad. ;)
Keep up the good work CaddmannQ it is well worth the effort + like you say think of all those $$$ you can spend on your Nomad

Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #43

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
. I just left everything hanging around. Pipes, tobacco, lighter, ashtray, tasty looking cigar butts with a dozen good hits left in them. So far I haven't touched any of it.
Both times I quit I kept one cigarette on top of the fridge..I agree it helps for some reason! (an old man told me that trick while i was smoking outside a hosp. one day) You don't have that panicky feeling of being out!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #44

Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

Just a few more hours and I'll be coming up on the one week mark. Sometimes the craving is worse than other times and I get this sudden spike of depression where the fact smacks me that I want one but they're gone for ever. YIKES! That's suddenly really hard to accept, and I think I know what a 10 second bout of major depression is like. I can't imagine people who feel like that continuously. It's gotta be a reall killer.

Anyhow, I'm still a bit shakey but so far I haven't had the D.T.'s or anything like that.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #45

Send a message via MSN to bikerjohn
Grrrrr....I QUIT!!!

My Dad , who is now 86, quit cold turkey at age 54..... I still remember growing up in a small house with one bathroom... after he got out of there, between the smoke and other nice smells, you didn't want to be in there... pew..... Anyway, good luck...you are on the road to recovery...
BikerJohn