Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #46
Sr. Contributor

Ticking as the Engine Runs.

A wrong oil too viscous can gag lifters, 20W-50 will bad in a cold weather bike. Then the clicking is in the valve train, and it's beat is rapid, but regular.

Ping is caused from fuel detonating before it should, and can cause some real nasty metal cutting at random. Factory set up Nomads are well known for this, and even on hi test fuels.

The EPA caused the problem, forcing the factory to meet certain clean air emissions ratings.

On a stock Nomad there is no possible way to adjust idle mix and low range rpm mix, and or any other ranges in RPM.

Ping tends to come from lugging, and then rolling on for power in too high a gear. Some Nomads will ping no matter what getting started from 0 MPH.

Ping sound like a tin can full of nuts and bolts and is irregular.

With only one or another fuel moduals, or jetting a carbed bike can ping be eliminated, and you really want it gone.

When you can hear ping, it has been cutting metals long before you can hear it.

Hope this helps.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #47

Hey stranger, hows the hand? Maple sugar all done?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
Blue, I am not a Power Comander expert but there are a number of threads on the PCIII and IV having to be reloaded because their downloaded info gets corupted. Seems to me that any memory that can be written over from a PC (it is supposed to be programable) can also be corupted by the random electrical event like say a power surge. The PCII is a older version but it is still one that is reprogramable so that's one of the places I'd look when chasing your problem. Perhaps someone here can point you to a PCII down load for a bike set up like yours?
Ive heard the same thing about PC's in the past. Sometimes they can lose the map and need to be reloaded.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #49
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Hey stranger, hows the hand? Maple sugar all done?
OT: Hand is ok, not fully err ah, err whatchu say functional, but it's good enough. Swells up sometimes for no real reason I can tell.

Man I am drowning in sap this year. I got apx 5 gallons of the stuff in jars. I got another 40+ gallons in barrels to go and the sap is still coming on strong...

And fer that I am a walking dead man... I am gonna get a T shirt that says 'I survived the 2011 maple sugar season!'

The damned road into here TC, is a ice cake, and the gully is still dry.... buried under snow knee deep still too.

Last time I looked at the bike it was all wet, from assumed crying.. :'(

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueraven
What do you mean a Lifter Drained Down? I don't understand that terminology. What are cold Idle solenoids? l
The lifters on the Nomad are hydraulic and are normally filled with oil. If the bike has sat for an extended period of time, the oil can drain out of the lifter and it can make a clacking sound with no oil inside to dampen it. Using a little Seafoam in the oil may clean things out and allow the lifter to fill with oil again.

The cold-idle solenoids are behind the dog bowl on the right hand side, there are two of them, side by side. They are intended to allow the engine to idle smoothly when cold. Since they are electro-mechanical, they clatter when they are operating. I got rid of mine years ago, as part of improving the intake system on the bike. They are noisy, but it's normal. for them to be that way.
Thank you! I had the same sound pop up after changing air/oil filter. I hadn't ridden for about 2 months here in very hot Central California and after I fired up the engine this very loud clicking was noticable. Haven't really ridden much since that until I saw this thread.
Bought some SeaFoam, put amount recommended on can into crankcase and behold, after a trip around the block, no more clicky-clack!!

Thanks guys!

Larry

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #51
Advanced Member

Will the ticking has stop. I don't know why but after the first start, it hasn't made that sound any more. Thanks for all you help guys

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #52

Over the years I have found that some days my motor is quiet as a mouse and other days it clatters like a bucket of bolts. Ive learned not to worry about it too much and just ride it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #53

the only time mine is quiet is when it isn't running!
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition