Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Remember, you just need enough clearance to remove your top covers....
Oil drainback on these engines is pretty good....Just curious about something....
Is it leaking in the front head, toward the inside of the V moving outward, more toward the left hand side????? And it only does it when rpms is up?
Photo shows where it seems to be coming from. I'd say it's more of a seep when it's sitting still or idling.

Again.........if I clean it all up and go for a ride it seemingly won't leak anything for the first 5-7 miles, then it'll start. Definitely more at higher rpms which make sense. Difficult to see exactly where it's coming from especially when it's getting blown around. Put it this way, when it first started doing this I lost a quart of oil after about 175 miles and it was all on my lower right pant leg.

It runs down from that corner of the valve cover and gets on the exhaust flange, pre-heater hose for the carburetor, valve cover, spark plug boot and crankcase. it's all on the right hand side and forward cylinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil leak photo.jpg (92.8 KB, 25 views)

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
How does one normally change those filters? Until this thread, I didn't know there were filters that in the engine that require changing.
They're not part of any maintenance.

It's one of those unwritten, do it or be sorry things when you have the head cover off.

It's like rebuilding an engine and putting the old tired oil pump back in.

You KNOW that it's going to go out just as soon as you get everything cleaned up, and you're going to have to pull the engine and tear it down again.

Those bronze filters are like the old GM fuel filters, they will eventually plug up.

Maybe his are still good, but why take a chance on 4 little bronze filters that cost about $7 each?
VBA 936

Old 07-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
Photo shows where it seems to be coming from. I'd say it's more of a seep when it's sitting still or idling.

Again.........if I clean it all up and go for a ride it seemingly won't leak anything for the first 5-7 miles, then it'll start. Definitely more at higher rpms which make sense. Difficult to see exactly where it's coming from especially when it's getting blown around. Put it this way, when it first started doing this I lost a quart of oil after about 175 miles and it was all on my lower right pant leg.

It runs down from that corner of the valve cover and gets on the exhaust flange, pre-heater hose for the carburetor, valve cover, spark plug boot and crankcase. it's all on the right hand side and forward cylinder.

Are you by chance running synthetic oil?

On older engines with higher mileage, synthetic oil tends to CAUSE leaks.

It doesn't have quite them same chemical make-up and actually will cause some of the gasket materials to shrink, then leak, unless the engine has had synth from very early on.

I had never heard of this before I had an incident with a Ford 5.0 with about 90,000 miles on it.

I got talked into putting full synth in and with a couple of days it was leaking in multiple places.

After reading about synth and leaks I put Dino oil back in, and after a few days the leaks started going away, then completely disappeared.

Just a thought.
VBA 936

Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #19
Advanced Member

Interesting and yes, I'm running a synthetic blend. I've been running the same oil since I got it though. Bought it with 5240 miles and it has 43000 on it now. It is worth a shot though. I'll make the change and see what happens.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider