Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Mega-Contributor

!@#$% VIRUS!

My PC has a virus. Technically, it's malware - I keep seeing this popup that says:

"Your computer is infected! Windows has detected spyware infection. It is recommended that you use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss. Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you."

If I click on the popup, it goes to a Microsoft-looking website and tries to download a commercial product.

This malware has disabled my Spybot software that I would normally use to remove this sort of thing. It is intercepting my browser, if I try to go to norton.com or mcafee.com, I get a "PAGE NOT FOUND" error. Yet I can get to any of them easily from my laptop. I used my laptop to download a new antivirus program (AVG) and I burned it onto a CD and copied it onto my PC. The damn virus won't let me install it.

I'm thinking the only option I have left at this point is to reinstall the Windows operating system. That means a lot of work. It galls me that companies can resort to this kind of marketing to sell their product. It's like if Goodyear dumped nails and wood screws on the road to try and sell new tires.

I am going riding this morning and I'll deal with it after I get back. Maybe I will have cooled off by then.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads