Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #1

new member here

I am a new member to this group, just wanted to say hello!
A little info

my names Jay, and i am an riding addict

I live in Manchester NH. I am 37

not married, no kids, been riding all kinds of different bikes for oh 25 years-ish

Bought me an 06 nomad new in may of 06 and i havent been able to stop riding it since, 17500 miles so far. Mostly 2 up touring with my woman, shes just as addicted as me, we alienate our friends who dont ride, our work suffers, relationships are strained, family hates us, i cant stop buying cheap sunglasses, and i can identify pretty much any bug by taste........

So anyhow, i ve been reading as many posts as i can to see whats been talked about, because i have a bunch of things i want to share and questions i want to ask, etc etc,

a few things i want to talk about

the freaking pinging even on 93 octane

first some info on the bike
all stock, mostly 2 up riding, total of 450lbs loaded incl cargo
bike pings like hell! always on 93 octane

solution for me: power commander

note: this is my first fuel injected bike, so it been a learning curve for me!

bought one, with the map for stock bike installed which is a bit richer than what kawa sets things at, well it helped with some of the pinging,

added a 6% richer map across the 3 rpm ranges, looks to have almost completly eliminated the pinging, plus mucho better throttle response and drivability and by the seat of the pants, i feel like i picked up 3-5 hp

its like a whole new bike! it doesnt sound like somone playing the spoons in my motor when i pass! fully loaded, uphill, full throttle, no pinging! so i really wanted to pass this on, yes its like almost $300 for a power commander, but its been worth it!

other subjects i been working on, tires & rear air shocks, i got a bunch of stuff i want to talk about those items, but i ll save em for seperate posts!

so anyhow sorry for being so long winded! hope to hear from some of you! keep on riding!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #2

new member here

Welcome. I have not experienced the knocking unless I'm really really lugging it. I also have an '06. I live at around 5000 ft altitude and the highest octane they sell here is 91. I don't know if the altitude even matters on a FI?? Like it says on gadgets site http://www.gadgetjq.com/faq.htm#ping these bikes like to be reved so I keep the rpm's kinda high when I ride.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #3

new member here

welcome Jay. Glad to have another name on the "motivated" rider roster.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
VBA Founder

new member here

Welcome to KawaNOW, toxic.......

As far as pinging...I've never suffered the problem on my 2005. But, I'm sure there are some here on the forum that can give you some suggestions.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Top Contributor

new member here

Welcome Jay: I ride a '05 and run 93 octane and do not have much problem with pinging even two up riding. i am interested in hearing from you about installing the PC, and any info about it you might reccommend since i changed to V&H bagger pipes I get the dreaded popping when slowing down which should be corrected with the PC I hope. Anyway let me hear all about the PC. Thanks

Ride Easy

Doc

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #6

new member here

welcome jay - sure sounds like you and your lady qualify for "biker's anonymous."

Old 08-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #7

new member here

Welcome Jay.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #8

new member here

Quote:
welcome jay - sure sounds like you and your lady qualify for "biker's anonymous."
Anonymous? I thought is was Synonymous!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #9

new member here

I am a new member also and just spending time floating through the various forums and threads.

Ride a 2005 Nomad with a shorter season than you folks down in Texas. From Ottawa Canada, deep in the heart of the Ottawa Valley hence the nickname. Had the bike since April 06 and we have 15,000 K on it at this point. Riding season here is April to mid November if lucky. Get the bike chaps out for that time period.

Glad to finally stumble across a KAWA owners forum. Have been envious of the Harley and Yamaha sites.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #10

new member here

Welcome oldvalleyguy.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
new member here

Welcome OVG.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #12

new member here

You look sharp on your Nomad OVG...... welcome from Nico the Smitemaster!! Enjoy!!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #13

new member here

Welcome OVG

Old 08-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #14
VBA Founder

new member here

Welcome to KawaNOW, Oldvalleyguy........Make yourself at home.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip