Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Advanced Member

looking at other new bikes

I finally got out to a dealership hoping to see any of the new bike models. The local shop has Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda & Yamaha. I saw the new Vulcan 1700 LT that the Nomad and Voyager are based on. Bike looked very nice and felt pretty much like my 2000 Nomad. Loved the styling of the rear fender and the taillight. Hope Kawasaki hits a home run with this new model line like they have with the 1500/1600 line they've been running. Out of all the bikes I've looked at only three stand any chance of getting me off my N'ad; the Yamaha Raider, the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 and of course a leftover 2008 Nomad. I like the Raider because of the styling and it fits me very well. It has a big powerful motor with plenty of torque. I like the Vulcan 2000 because 125 cubic inches is fun to play with and the bike fits me well and rides very nicely. Lastly, I like a newer Nomad, because it gives you that new bike bling while being an old familiar friend.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

I liked the 2000LT and the one thing that bothered me about that engine was reports that it likes to burn oil. It's sort of backhanded confirmed with kawasaki going with a smaller displacement version on their new touring bike (along with putting the cams overhead). I've heard of more than one person needing a ring job after 30,000 miles, and to date I haven't heard of one going over 100,000 miles. I think Kawasaki knew what they were doing with the 1st generation Nomad, although I have to admit I like the way Rolf's bike looks: http://www.rolfshemsida.se/blandade%...er/ready14.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinchef
I finally got out to a dealership hoping to see any of the new bike models. The local shop has Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda & Yamaha. I saw the new Vulcan 1700 LT that the Nomad and Voyager are based on. Bike looked very nice and felt pretty much like my 2000 Nomad. Loved the styling of the rear fender and the taillight. Hope Kawasaki hits a home run with this new model line like they have with the 1500/1600 line they've been running. Out of all the bikes I've looked at only three stand any chance of getting me off my N'ad; the Yamaha Raider, the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 and of course a leftover 2008 Nomad. I like the Raider because of the styling and it fits me very well. It has a big powerful motor with plenty of torque. I like the Vulcan 2000 because 125 cubic inches is fun to play with and the bike fits me well and rides very nicely. Lastly, I like a newer Nomad, because it gives you that new bike bling while being an old familiar friend.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #3

The Raider is a really nice looking bike. Haven't seen one in person yet. Will have to take to time to do so.

I still like the Nomad though.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Yea a V2000 Nomad would be awesome but I too have heard that the V2K's engine doesn't have near the longevity as the Nomad. A Nomad with shaft drive, 2000cc engine six speed fully loaded like a Harley with an engine that could last 100k would be very tempting!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel

I like the V2000 and was considering for a 2nd bike, but since, have changed my mind and will more than likely try and find a used Drifter instead.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #6

Ditto the comments about the 2000 motor. I'm sure that's the reason Kaw put a whole new engine in the new 17's. My wife was kicking the tires on the new Raider. She currently owns a Warrior so she is a Star fan. She liked the Raider, but she said it wasn't enought bike to make her give up her Warrior. She's a sport bike girl at heart! I will say this, if you are coming from a touring bike and going to a bike like the Raider, you run the risk of getting frustrated trying to make it capable of touring.

I owned a Warrior prior to my Nomad. I went to the Nomad because I got tired of trying to make a touring bike out of a bike that was designed to look stripped, with a solo seat, much like the Raider. Just my.02 about it. Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #7

When I was looking to get back into riding last year, I looked at these bikes. The Raider was tempting, but in the end I wanted a more "dressed" bike. After seeing the V2K at a show, I was all set to buy one. I secretly wanted an HD and checked them out, one last time just to confirm that they were still "overpriced". Then I went to the Kawasaki dealer and told him I wanted to buy a V2K. He didn't have one in stock and while he was pricing it out for me, I saw a used 2006 Nomad which I ended up buying on the spot.

I am glad I did, especially now hearing about some of the motor issues with the V2K. If I had the money though, the Raider would be a darn nice 2nd Bike. I think Yamaha got it right with that style model.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

From what I recall the 1700 is based on the 2000 engine. The reduced the bore and stroke and converted it to overhead cam, but it is based on the 2000. The problem with the 2000 is the massive bore and stroke, and it also uses a plated aluminum bore as opposed to a steel sleeve. I know of one guy that wore his out in 30K miles. http://www.newsnot.com/~emonk/pictur...needs_rebuilt/

He isn't the only one:http://www.rogueownersgroup.com/Deta...=display&id=97

And an interesting history of a 2000:http://web.mac.com/dyutzy/xarden.com/claw.html

Shame about X though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yridehd
Ditto the comments about the 2000 motor. I'm sure that's the reason Kaw put a whole new engine in the new 17's. My wife was kicking the tires on the new Raider. She currently owns a Warrior so she is a Star fan. She liked the Raider, but she said it wasn't enought bike to make her give up her Warrior. She's a sport bike girl at heart! I will say this, if you are coming from a touring bike and going to a bike like the Raider, you run the risk of getting frustrated trying to make it capable of touring.

I owned a Warrior prior to my Nomad. I went to the Nomad because I got tired of trying to make a touring bike out of a bike that was designed to look stripped, with a solo seat, much like the Raider. Just my.02 about it. Good Luck!
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #9

Having sat on a new Nomad last week, I can say that the bike felt shorter, as well as the seat did feel better on ones butt. Much better stockseat than '08 and older Nomads. Still like my shaft drive and side loader bags. Like the electronic cruise control tho.