Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #31
Top Contributor

Check CC laws before heading out

I like Mark's post. If a person is holding a knife on you what are you going to tell him? Wait a minute I need to get in my saddle bags for my gun and clip ??? If you don't have it accessible what is the purpose of carrying one.

I've gone fishing with the boat and as I pulled into the lot at 3:00 AM there were a couple of suspicious guys hanging in the lot so to avoid a bad situation I just drove through the lot and left. I feel a lot safer out on the water then in the parking lot.

I had a guy walk up on me at the boat ramp again at 3-4 in the morning and I told him that's far enough don't come any closer. Since then I got a permit.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #32

Thanks for the input, wasn't starting the gun debate, just wondered about bike riding pros & cons. I packed a number of times when camping in National Forest with my young family and out on house boat on Lake Powell where in the wilderness an easy target. But I tend to ride in populated tourist areas or usually high number of other cyclist. Camping at upscale RV camping sites. And since I am not a big burly dude I tend not to hang around the big burly HD biker types. Had some experiences around some hard core when a teenager, so I avoid that type. And I wear no colors so not to invite any response. In business I have friends in full range of bikers and find it easy to talk about riding the country. I have to say that I may reconsider packing a small boot concealed if my wife and I are planning back roads by ourselves, that makes since. My problem will be that if I am packing and I meet up with trouble the trouble will be packing too and probably a hole lot bigger than mine!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by xncrman
Thanks for the input, wasn't starting the gun debate, just wondered about bike riding pros & cons. I packed a number of times when camping in National Forest with my young family and out on house boat on Lake Powell where in the wilderness an easy target. But I tend to ride in populated tourist areas or usually high number of other cyclist. Camping at upscale RV camping sites. And since I am not a big burly dude I tend not to hang around the big burly HD biker types. Had some experiences around some hard core when a teenager, so I avoid that type. And I wear no colors so not to invite any response. In business I have friends in full range of bikers and find it easy to talk about riding the country. I have to say that I may reconsider packing a small boot concealed if my wife and I are planning back roads by ourselves, that makes since. My problem will be that if I am packing and I meet up with trouble the trouble will be packing too and probably a hole lot bigger than mine!
John, don't worry about it. You asked a question that has no right or wrong answer and everyone feels a little different. Ultimately it comes down to your comfort and skill level with a handgun. You are one who has to decide whether and when you will carry. You need to sort through different scenarios in your head and decide what you would do if you found yourself in one of them.

Some will say, don't bring a gun to a knife fight. Some will say, it is better to have a gun even if it is smaller than one your adversary is packin. Some will, say it is not worth the risk at any cost. You need to just do what makes you comfortable.

We need to realize that when we decide to carry that we are taking on a tremendous responsibility that is not to be taken lightly. The ramifications of even making the decision to draw that weapon could be life changing whether you drop the hammer or not.

Be informed, be trained, be careful.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xncrman
John, don't worry about it. You asked a question that has no right or wrong answer and everyone feels a little different. Ultimately it comes down to your comfort and skill level with a handgun. You are one who has to decide whether and when you will carry. You need to sort through different scenarios in your head and decide what you would do if you found yourself in one of them.

Some will say, don't bring a gun to a knife fight. Some will say, it is better to have a gun even if it is smaller than one your adversary is packin. Some will, say it is not worth the risk at any cost. You need to just do what makes you comfortable.

We need to realize that when we decide to carry that we are taking on a tremendous responsibility that is not to be taken lightly. The ramifications of even making the decision to draw that weapon could be life changing whether you drop the hammer or not.

Be informed, be trained, be careful.
Well said Bud. It is a very personal decision and no one can make it for you. I am quite capable of defending myself without a handgun...in most situations...but there are other situations that I choose to be prepared for. Particularly when it comes to protecting my family.
But yes, the decision to carry comes with a lot of responsibility, and in all honesty, I have met some people that should not carry. It's all good, just to what you have determined in your heart to do.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #35

Here is an example of a guy who shouldn't even be able to look at a gun much less own one.
Yesterdays paper, guy was IN HIS APARTMENT, practicing his fast draw with A LOADED GUN.
Had a picture of somebody, I forget who against his wall to aim at.
Draws the gun, fires off a round and the round goes through his wall into the next apartment. ::)
Bullet hits neighbors TV set dead center in the screen. No body got hurt.
What a dufus. ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun2wheels
When riding by myself or with one or two other riders I carry my Ruger LCP in a front pocket holster.When riding in a larger group I usually don't carry.I can't remember the last time I felt unsafe in the areas I ride.I think my main concern is breaking down in the boondocks by myself.You never know what will show up and consider you an easy mark.
I carry in the same situations. When in the middle of nowhere, which we are quite often I prefer a little more protection than my pocket knife. Being right next to California creates allot of problems though. We have to find a somewhat private place to disarm and put the pistol away before we cross the State line and then again crossing back over.

The clip goes in one saddlebag and everything else goes in a lock-box in the other saddlebag. Did the same thing on the way to the Cortez Rally last year because Colorado has a screwy gun law.

The irony is that in my opinion a situation where I would need a pistol for protection is more likely to occur in Southern California than in Nevada, Arizona or Utah. (Sorry BD)

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 05-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #37

Sometimes self defense doesn't involve getting out of a situation, but recognizing signs and avoiding potential problems.

If you can't get to the weapon without getting off the bike, what good is it?

Be careful wit your route choices, and stay away from obviously troubled areas.

Do what makes you comfortable.

Are you planning on drawing attention to yourself? Are you going to give the LEO's any reason to look at you twice? Why would they want to look in your bags? Are you going to ride really fast?

I'm sure I just muddied the water.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila
Sometimes self defense doesn't involve getting out of a situation, but recognizing signs and avoiding potential problems.

If you can't get to the weapon without getting off the bike, what good is it?

Be careful wit your route choices, and stay away from obviously troubled areas.

Do what makes you comfortable.

Are you planning on drawing attention to yourself? Are you going to give the LEO's any reason to look at you twice? Why would they want to look in your bags? Are you going to ride really fast?

I'm sure I just muddied the water.

MT
MT that is all great advice. LEO's look for probable cause. Broken tail light, speeding, weaving. You want to avoid detection don't do anything to draw attention to yourself. Simple.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 05-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #39
Advanced Member

Good advice Bud.I have to laugh when I hear on the news about someone getting stopped for going 90 mph on the interstate and getting busted for having a trunk full of dope they are transporting.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #40

The instructor in our carry permit class made it pretty clear if you do not have the guts (nerve) to pull the trigger when your life is threaten DO NOT Carry and if you do have to pull your weapon USE IT

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #41

as some one said trying to shoot off a cycle is not smart but to carry in case you are broke down you do not know who will pull up Then you would not have all your riding gear on

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #42

Been checking out smaller weapons for the boot, I like that concept. Not sure if I will pack on the ride to Maggie. But I do like the idea when riding back roads not familiar with. Thanks for the comments and advice.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Here is an example of a guy who shouldn't even be able to look at a gun much less own one.
Yesterdays paper, guy was IN HIS APARTMENT, practicing his fast draw with A LOADED GUN.
Had a picture of somebody, I forget who against his wall to aim at.
Draws the gun, fires off a round and the round goes through his wall into the next apartment. ::)
Bullet hits neighbors TV set dead center in the screen. No body got hurt.
What a dufus. ???
Oh boy another good one inthe gene pool.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing