Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #16

Check CC laws before heading out

One time I was stopped in another state and the officer asked if I had a weapon. I pointed at the saddlebag, he asked if it was locked. I said yes, he never mentioned it again.

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila
One time I was stopped in another state and the officer asked if I had a weapon. I pointed at the saddlebag, he asked if it was locked. I said yes, he never mentioned it again.
Interesting. Sure would be a lot easier if that's all it took to be considered a locked container

Mick Argo - NW Iowa
2006 Vulcan Nomad
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
2007 Kawasaki 650R
2001 Kawasaki ZR-7

Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc88
Quote:
Interesting. Sure would be a lot easier if that's all it took to be considered a locked container
It takes a key to open, isn't that the definition of locked?

IMHO the saddlebags and the trunk (tour pack) are no different than the trunk of a car.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #19

Quote:

It takes a key to open, isn't that the definition of locked?

IMHO the saddlebags and the trunk (tour pack) are no different than the trunk of a car.

MT
That's my opinion too, but ultimately its up to the LEO

Mick Argo - NW Iowa
2006 Vulcan Nomad
2005 Honda Shadow Aero
2007 Kawasaki 650R
2001 Kawasaki ZR-7

Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Looks like I have two states to be concerned with, Illinois and Missouri. I will lock the gun in one side and the clips in the other.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #21

To me a locked saddlebag is more than secure enough. Why would you need anything more.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #22

Maybe I haven't been on enough long distance rides, but I have never packed when riding. I never thought about it. Should I be? Anyone had any bad experience on the road? Give me a little input before I pack for the ride in June. Maybe I should..

Old 05-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xncrman
Maybe I haven't been on enough long distance rides, but I have never packed when riding. I never thought about it. Should I be? Anyone had any bad experience on the road? Give me a little input before I pack for the ride in June. Maybe I should..
It's better to have a weapon and not need it than to need one and not have it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
Looks like I have two states to be concerned with, Illinois and Missouri. I will lock the gun in one side and the clips in the other.
Bud,

I looked up what I could find about crossing through Illinois with a gun. It appears fairly cut-and-dry with regard to Illinois law.

The gun must be rendered non-functional; and must be in a locked compartment and the ammo in another with neither being accessible to the passenger or driver.

It was noted that Illinois goes one step further in that weapons should be in a gun-case or gun-box; whereby the entire weapon is covered with no part showing.

It appears the consensus is that a locked saddlebag is an allowable compartment. If the saddlebag cannot be locked, then the gun needs to be in a locked-box; as does the ammo -- both in separate saddlebags.

Individual municipal laws exceeding the state's gun-transportation laws take precedence. (Avoid Chicago. They have tough gun laws; which must be why they have so little crime!! LOL!)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #25

There are several arguments for carrying and not carrying. Ultimately it comes down to personal choice.

Yes I am qualified to carry and often do so around town and when I go on car trips. I have easy access to the weapon and can draw it quickly. For long distance or short distance motorcycle trips, I do not bother to carry for several reasons. The gun takes up a lot of room whether it is on you or in the saddle bags, space is at a premium.

I am wearing full gear regardless of the heat down here. Gloves, jacket, riding pants, and boots. So where do I put this gun on a bike or on me? My gloved fingers are too fat to fit through the trigger guard safely. Trying to get the gun out of a jacket pocket or from underneath the jacket in a quick manner is problematic at best. By the time I am able to get the gloves off and bring the gun into play the fight will be long since over. If the gun is locked in the saddlebags then you might as well not have one.

If something were to happen when I was moving, there is no chance I would be able to use a weapon. Fumbling for the gun and controlling a moving bike in a critical situation is a fools game. Yeah it is done all the time on TV, I'm way too old to try it in real life thinking I could succeed.

The gun laws supposedly allow you to carry through forbidden states and there are too many stories where it didn't go as planned. While we may be in the right it may cost more than it is possibly worth to prove it. I would rather not have to spend time in court and pay attorneys because somebody decided to misinterpret something.

I understand the risks and decided not to carry when I am riding. It is more of a hassle to me than the possible alternatives. Like I said in the beginning it is a personal decision. If you decide to carry, spend a considerable amount of time making sure it is done safely and you are comfortable with how you are doing it.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
Bud,

I looked up what I could find about crossing through Illinois with a gun. It appears fairly cut-and-dry with regard to Illinois law.

The gun must be rendered non-functional; and must be in a locked compartment and the ammo in another with neither being accessible to the passenger or driver.

It was noted that Illinois goes one step further in that weapons should be in a gun-case or gun-box; whereby the entire weapon is covered with no part showing.

It appears the consensus is that a locked saddlebag is an allowable compartment. If the saddlebag cannot be locked, then the gun needs to be in a locked-box; as does the ammo -- both in separate saddlebags.

Individual municipal laws exceeding the state's gun-transportation laws take precedence. (Avoid Chicago. They have tough gun laws; which must be why they have so little crime!! LOL!)
I appreciate you looking out for me Greg. I will plan to lock gun on one side and clips on the other. I do have a small case to put the gun into. ::)

Illinois is a very sad state. ???
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #27

Tell me about it... I live in this hell-hole!!!

Crime is rampant... but we have some of the strictest gun laws. Geez... that tells me regulation isn't working.

The state is broke... but their answer is to raise taxes!! Geez... seems like taxation hasn't worked.

Quite frankly, I am surprised they don't stop people at our borders and shake them down before they can cross the state!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by xncrman
Exactly! I am carrying all the time everyday. I have a couple of different weapons, one that conceals easier than others, for certain events where required dress make my full size Glock hard to conceal. I have a Ruger LCP that I either deep carry or it goes in an ankle holster.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 05-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

Exactly! I am carrying all the time everyday. I have a couple of different weapons, one that conceals easier than others, for certain events where required dress make my full size Glock hard to conceal. I have a Ruger LCP that I either deep carry or it goes in an ankle holster.
I knew I liked you for a reason

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #30
Advanced Member

When riding by myself or with one or two other riders I carry my Ruger LCP in a front pocket holster.When riding in a larger group I usually don't carry.I can't remember the last time I felt unsafe in the areas I ride.I think my main concern is breaking down in the boondocks by myself.You never know what will show up and consider you an easy mark.