Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 01-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #1

Spring Rides

On this first day of 2009, I am thinking about some Spring rides I'd like to experience. I'd like to start up at the northeast corner of Iowa and ride the highways on either side of the Mississippi River. But I've read that the Iowa side is a bit higher and you can look over the river more and it has more curves.

Anybody have experience on those highways? BnG

BTW... Happy New Year!

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #2

Spring Rides

BnG:

I have ridden that area and am familiar with it. In fact; I plan on making that trip twice this coming summer months. It is a favorite trip of mine.

Both the Wisconsin and Iowa sides of the river are some of the best roads to bike on in the Midwest. Quite hilly, with great vista-views throughout the trip.

Typically; I ride north on the Wisconsin side of the river up to LaCrosse, WI. (From where I live, it is convenient for me to go that direction first.)

I'll stay overnight in LaCrosse and then come back down south along the western-shore of the Mississippi.

The LaCrosse crossing actually puts you into Minnesota. I follow a route that I have mapped along the river the whole-way on down through Iowa to Dubuque, IA -- where I cross back over to Galena, IL and then on back to my house near Rockford, IL.

The fundamental difference between the two sides is that you can more easily find a route that runs along the river on the western shore more so than on the Wisconsin eastern shore.

The western-side route in a mix of various roads that provide fantastic riding and are in fact at a higher elevation over-looking the river much of the time.

It is more difficult to stay along the shoreline on the eastern side in Wisconsin; however you can do it. To stay along the river in Wisconsin, the roads north of Cassville run along the river-bottoms (low-elevation -- so you'll actually be more at river-level).

If you don't care to stay along the eastern-shore, you can take many routes north along the river that do get into some of the most hilly country-side in the Midwest. It is absolutely beautiful in that portion of Wisconsin -- and it one of my absolute favorite places to ride.

Anyway; when you get closer to when you are going; drop me a line so I can share my routes with you. I might even join you if invited and have the time!!

I know another member and his wife; along with me and my wife plan on making this trip together sometime either early in the season or shortly after the National Rally in Custer.

We make it a minimum of a two-day ride.

Let me know.

PS: I was thinking if we were to have a North Central Region Mini-Rally next season that area would be my first choice to do it in.

Greg

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #3

Spring Rides

There are plenty of great roads to ride on in that area. Even if your not along the river, there are plenty of great areas on the western side of Wisconsin.

I have taken the great river road from Prariedu Chien down to Dubuque. The Lacrosse area has some great scenery too. The Wiscosin river also has some great view along it too.

If your looking to make a weekend out of it, The Wisconsin Dells offers great room rates before and after peak season(Memorial to Labor day).

I cant make it to Custer cause I have a little one due in early June, but would like to get out for a couple rides this year.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #4

Spring Rides

Greg,
Thanks much for the great information. I had thought that that area probably would be just as you described.

I want to take a few trips prior to the Custer Rally, just to get in shape and be prepared for that event. We are planning on heading north to Saskatoon, SK after the rally and return to Iowa via Manitoba/Minnesota.

Let's stay in touch and if it is okay with you, meet up for a Mississippi River ride. My wife and I would certainly show up for a Central Northwest Mini-Rally in that area. She doen't ride the Nomad, but likes to ride sweep in her Mustang convertible.

Thanks again. BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

Spring Rides

Thanks for your info too, Truckerdawg. Let's stay in contact. I can see a great riding season ahead this year! BnG

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #6

Spring Rides

Bng;

Would be more than happy to meet both you and your wife; and to have another excuse to ride next season -- so keep me in mind. Even if we don't meet-up; let me know so I can give you my routes in those areas.

As I mentioned; I plan on riding that area quite a bit next summer; and would like to put together a "mini-rally" for the NCR in that region if possible.

I guess I'll post it in about another month or so and just wait to see who can make.

As Truckerdawg said; the southwestern section of Wisconsin is loaded with absolutely beautiful scenary -- with roads to match. You can't go wrong.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #7

Spring Rides

Welcome aboard Truckerdawg!!!

Glad you joined us.

Greg

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Spring Rides

Tell us about yourself truckerdawg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerdawg
There are plenty of great roads to ride on in that area. Even if your not along the river, there are plenty of great areas on the western side of Wisconsin.

I have taken the great river road from Prariedu Chien down to Dubuque. The Lacrosse area has some great scenery too. The Wiscosin river also has some great view along it too.

If your looking to make a weekend out of it, The Wisconsin Dells offers great room rates before and after peak season(Memorial to Labor day).

I cant make it to Custer cause I have a little one due in early June, but would like to get out for a couple rides this year.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Spring Rides

The only other major ride I am considering this year is a fall ride to New England. I'd like through michigan to ontario and back down through Maine and meander through NH VT, Upstate NY and through Niagara Falls and going back through Michigan but through the UP and down through WI into IA. It's a bit of a trip through. 3400 miles. As far as the spring rides go, central Iowa is a little boring. I've heard riding to the source of the Mississippi is fun. I wonder if Leinenkugels gives brewery tours...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #10

Spring Rides

My current ride is an black/silver '05. Been riding now for 16 years. Currently modding an HD fairing onto the bike. Have it mounted by need to clean it up and install some tunes.
When the bike get put away, its time to start hunting.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #11

Spring Rides

Welcome, truckerdawg. My wife and I are expecting our first little one in late March. It will be here before we know it.
Having the summer off, I'll be playing daddy to the little one while Mom works. It's a perk of being a teacher! I don't know yet if I'll be in Custer for the rally. A friend and I have talked for several years about how it would be great to take off for 10 days to two weeks and just ride an unplanned route. No destination in mind, just decide each day which direction we want to go. I think this would be a blast, just relaxed riding with no real route in mind. I don't know if it'll work this summer or not with the baby coming. In hindsight, we should have done it last summer!
Right now, a seven block ride to the gas station sounds great to me as winter has got us socked in up here. There is about three feet of snow on the ground, and they are calling for another winter storm tomorrow and Friday, bringing 6-9 more inches and wind. Hooray!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #12

Spring Rides

Welcome truckerdawg!
Hey prairie, congrats. You should start practicing not sleeping so it isn't such a shock when the baby comes. I recommend it to all my friends. Just get up every 2 hours for about 10 - 20 minutes to start. It doesn't help you get used to getting up but it is great practice for learning how to get back to sleep quickly.

I was superdad with both of my kids. I was the one that got up every time every night. My wife is a demon if she doesn't get enough sleep so I figured better to be tired that yelled at.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #13

Spring Rides

OP-what's the weather like down there in SD? We have record snowfall so far this winter, how about you guys? Another blizzard is rolling in as I type this, and it sounds like we're in for up to 10 more inches. It's getting real old...

Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #14

Spring Rides

naw, we have average snow so far but man it has been cold. We normally get a little thaw in december but not this year. I am expecting some pretty good amounts of snow in the next month and a half though.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #15

Spring Rides

Hey guys,

Are we still doing a spring ride to Galena and on in to Wisconsin? I think Greg was going to plan something. Just asking, I know it's still early.

Tim
Kawanow #731
VROC #28163