Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #1

NorthCentral Regional Rally 2012 Plans

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen (you too Gibby),

Here's a preliminary plan and rough draft. I'd like to start at Savanna, IL because of the bike-friendly atmosphere and nice motel. Poopies Restraurant is cool too. We can meet the evening before the rally starts the next day. Also, those folks who are traveling from the far south can have a respite before the push to Prairie du Chien. Also, at the end of our rally in Prairie du Chien, those folks who live in the great north will be closer to home. It's a trade off I think will work out fine.

I'd like to hold the rally in the first part of June, although thunder storms may or may not be an issue. Possibly a bit cooler too.

Although I haven't asked Greg yet to plan the runs once we get to Prairie du Chien, he has a vast knowledge of the area. He'll know where to go and what to do and we can depend on him for the best routes. Right, Greg?

So here goes........ suggestions?

8 June 2012 (Friday)
LV - Super 8 Motel, Savanna, IL (meet at 8am)
AR – Le Claire, IA (visit American Pickers)

LV – Le Claire, IA on River Road
(go north on Iowa side river road, avoid downtown Dubuque, IA)
Lunch - TBA
AR – Prairie du Chien, WA
(check in Super 8 Motel or take your pick)
(ride local roads (TBA) until supper time)
(gather for evening meal (TBA)

9 June (Saturday)
Meet at 8am. Ride Hwy 35 and adjacent twisties.
Lunch – TBA
Afternoon additional rides – TBA
(gather for evening meal (TBA)

10 June (Sunday)
Meet at 8am. Morning rides TBA
Head for home whenever you feel like it.

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #2

Sounds good Dave.

I'll start putting some route-maps together right away.

Since I heard a couple people state they would prefer to take "easier" routes and stop more often, I'll do a couple types of routes (one sweeping-road-route; and another with more twisted-roads).

In that way, those that would like to take it easy and stop more frequently can take the "sweeping-routes"; while those wanting to "rip-it-up" can ride the "twisted-routes". (I'll be on the twisted-route myself! )

It doesn't appear to me that the June dates are a problem for me; however, as you stated Dave, early June weather can be questionable. It certainly was the last couple years.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Thanks, Greg! Your ideas of sweeping curves rides and twistees rides as a choice has merit. We could have two different types of rides out with both rides meeting for lunch together. Then after lunch we'd have a choice of changing the type of roads for the rest of the day. We could do this best on Saturday.

We can call them "twistees" and "sweepers".

Friday's ride would be considered a sweeper side. We'll be doing some sightseeing on that ride north to PDC too.

Since Donna is driving, I'm thinking of trailering one bike and riding the other. Then I can trade off when I want. How cool is that?

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitsngravy View Post
Since Donna is driving, I'm thinking of trailering one bike and riding the other. Then I can trade off when I want. How cool is that?
Ha! You're spoiled Dave!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

Yeah, she just told me that she's not going. Aaahhhh, women. (Sorry ladies....)

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Hey Dave, quite a ride for one day. Savanna, Il to Prairie du Chien, Washington? Just had to throw that out there after that greeting at the beginning of this thread. Where do you plan on staying the evening of June 9 ? I am assuming it will be 2 nights in Prairie du Chien?
Anyone still riding out there be safe.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #7

Sounds like a good rally. Will be keeping track of info. I usually attend a rally in Arkansas every year at that time but this year they are only having the Fall version, so I have this one on the list to attend.
VBA #02051
2012 NCR Rally, Savanna, IL

Old 11-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #8

Hey Dave,

What happened to J & P Cycles and the Museum?
Kawanow #731
VROC #28163

Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #9

Hi, Tim. I hate to leave J & P out of the trip too. I'd like to go again. It makes my credit card go all a flutter! I thought it was a long way over to the west though. Maybe it was the time spent checking out the John Deere place that made it seem like such a long trip west to Anamosa, IA.

What do the other riders think about a swing over to Anamosa then head back to the River then north to PDC? It would put us a little later into PDC but maybe enough daylight left for a twisty ride before supper. Comments?

Yeah, Gib. I lived in WA for 19 years and I guess it was a force of habit. How 'bout a long trip some time to the west coast via WA, OR, CA, NV, NM,OK, TX, KS, NE, and home. Anybody else want to go?? Oh, man I'd sure like to start planning for that one!

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitsngravy View Post
Hi, Tim. I hate to leave J & P out of the trip too. I'd like to go again. It makes my credit card go all a flutter! I thought it was a long way over to the west though. Maybe it was the time spent checking out the John Deere place that made it seem like such a long trip west to Anamosa, IA.

What do the other riders think about a swing over to Anamosa then head back to the River then north to PDC? It would put us a little later into PDC but maybe enough daylight left for a twisty ride before supper. Comments?

Yeah, Gib. I lived in WA for 19 years and I guess it was a force of habit. How 'bout a long trip some time to the west coast via WA, OR, CA, NV, NM,OK, TX, KS, NE, and home. Anybody else want to go?? Oh, man I'd sure like to start planning for that one!
I did Crescent City in 9 days and that was enough and to do those states you need a couple more added in, like Utah and Colorado or Arizona.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #11

Depending on the size of the group, the distance and time to cover all of these areas might be a problem -- especially if you stop for any reasonable period of time at each spot. If I remember, the mileage was around 220+ miles total (not including going into Moline like we did) -- which isn't a problem for any of the four that went on the scouting trip; but it might be for any others that might come. I don't know for sure.

There is a timing problem also since Le Claire, Iowa's stop doesn't open until 10AM. That means we would not depart Savanna any earlier than 9AM since it is only a 45 minute ride at best. We would get there early again and have to wait.

Once you've stopped in Le Claire you will get to Anamosa at around 12 noon. A stop at the cycle-shop would take another 45 minutes or so, and you would also have to include another hour for a lunch-stop. That makes the departure from Anamosa at around 2PM.

(This does not include a stop at the museum in Anamosa)

From Anamosa it is another 180 miles or so to Prairie du Chien, WI

Considering a larger-group riding this distance you would have to add another 30 minutes or so to the normal time it would take to cover this number of miles. You also would have to keep in mind that some of those miles will be on sweepers and twisties -- thus delaying us some. (I would hate not to take the Balltown Road route heading north. That's some of the best riding in the entire area.)

So the stop in Moline looking for John Deere really doesn't factor into the schedule of time. It would reduce the mileage though.

Now, the only other option I can see is to start in Anamosa -- depending on when the cycle-shop and museum opens, some could make the choice which they would like to do that morning and we could depart from Anamosa heading to Dubuque and then to PDC. This would require skipping Savanna and Le Claire all together.

Anyway... that is the logistical challenges as I see it...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #12

Personally, I would rather stay in Savanna the first night and hang out at Poopys until the wee hours. You know, the prices there are cheaper than shit :-) Have breakfast between 8-9 am and then head to LeClaire, should put us there about opening time. Ride the river north and stop at Pikes Peak, with a large group that will take most of the day. Just my two cents worth.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #13

A curiosity question, how many riders on average show up for the rally? I ride solo 95% of the time, my choice, but I will ride in a group when it's a rally kind of thing, just wondering how large a regional rally gets.
VBA #02051
2012 NCR Rally, Savanna, IL

Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #14

I'm thinking we had 15 or 16 riders at the 2010 regional. Two or three dropped out throughout the rally for time constraints or for unknown reasons. National rallies are signicantly larger with much more activities and organized events.

NorthCentral Region rallies are planned to not only provide excellent riding experiences but to create a way for riders to become friends with other like-minded enthusiasts. As a personal note, I've been fortunate to gain the friendship of several great personalities through this organization.

But to get back to your question, JD, our regional rally is laid back and fun. We have a good time and you are welcome to join us.

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF

Old 11-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBY View Post
Personally, I would rather stay in Savanna the first night and hang out at Poopys until the wee hours. You know, the prices there are cheaper than shit :-) Have breakfast between 8-9 am and then head to LeClaire, should put us there about opening time. Ride the river north and stop at Pikes Peak, with a large group that will take most of the day. Just my two cents worth.
I like this idea best. Let's save Anamosa, IA for another time. Let's plan a later breakfast in Savanna, IL then get to LeClaire, IA about opening time. Then north along the Great River Road to PDC where we stay two nights.

Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF