Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #1

WARNING: This may offend (vent)

Today somebody told me: “If you vote libertarian you may as well just vote for a zucchini because you’re just throwing your vote away.”

That comment is just as stupid as saying “If the person you vote for doesn’t win, then you threw away your vote” Just because I don’t have “herd mentality” does not mean I’m throwing away my vote. The only person throwing away their vote is the person voting for someone they don’t like, but it’s the person who “could win” because everyone else is voting for them. So is that what voting is all about? Getting an ego boost because someone you voted for won? It has nothing to do with what you actually believe in? A libertarian candidate COULD win if everyone had the balls to actually vote their true conscience. If you continue supporting a broken 2 party system by the way you vote, and expect something other than a broken 2 party system, you may as well BE a zucchini!

Let me tell you something that a libertarian understands that a zucchini doesn’t understand: THE PROPER ROLE OF GOVERNMENT. The government’s only proper role is to protect property and enforce contracts. When government takes ANY action outside of this proper role, life becomes more expensive for the people. If you investigate, you will never find a contradiction to this simple rule. Less government involvement is the cure for a more prosperous, peaceful America. Governments of the world that protect property and enforce contracts have the most prosperity and peace. Governments of the world who don't protect property and don't enforce contracts, have more conflict and poverty. Want more freedom, less taxes, and smaller government? Vote libertarian.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

ooooookaaaaaay...feel better now, do you?

I look at it this way: a vote for a third party candidate is a vote against Obama and McCain. However I'm not sure it matters with our electoral college system. It would if the presidential race was decided by popular vote. What you say holds true for non-presidential offices.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-15-2008, 05:31 AM   #3

Damn Dude if ya gonna offend me ya gotta to better then that
Do what ya gotta do, folks that don't like it ..so the hell what.
Are you sure your not from the South, ya sure sound like a Southern Man.
Vent all ya want its good for the soul.
Without freedom of choice, you have nothing, and nothing will ever change. I feel better that your not part of the herd, it not bad being on the so called out side of mainstream hell its a little more roomier and it gives the herd something to think about

Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #4

Here's a thought I've been having.

I voted for Bush the first time, but certainly not the second time. I saw what he was doing to this country and our liberties and rights, and couldn't believe people voted for him the second time around after knowing full well what he was about. Nobody was fooled the second time.

So I say that if you voted for Bush the second time around, you can't be trusted to pick a president. If you voted for Bush the second time, you should be required to sit home on election day and not leave the house. :)

Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
VBA Founder

Now, Now Dan........our civil liberties should not be messed with. We all have the right to vote the way we wish....at any time. If we did what you suggest, all of us, sooner or later, would have to sit at home...LOL.

I voted for Bush both times.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #6

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all just thought like Danny Boy.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak031
Of course it would be!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Now, Now Dan........our civil liberties should not be messed with. We all have the right to vote the way we wish....at any time. If we did what you suggest, all of us, sooner or later, would have to sit at home...LOL.

I voted for Bush both times.
You're right Trip, I guess you shouldn't be required to sit home if you voted for him the second time. That is too harsh and who would enforce it?

So I've changed my stance, it shouldn't be a requirement at all, it should just be your civic duty.

And if I ever get it wrong twice in a row, I'll do my civic duty too :)

Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #9

As far as I am concerned any vote is a good vote as long as you aren't just voting "party lines" because you are "of that party". The one thing that does piss me off to no end is people that vote every election, and vote Democrat or Republican just because they claim they are of that party. So what, each party has presented some really bad candidates at one time or another, and both have at the same time as well. Why vote just because you feel you are part of a group? Where's the independence in that decision?

If the libertarian is on the ballot, by all means, vote for it if you want. The only issue you will have is if you "write in" a candidate. Everyone talks about doing this, but if they really research the idea it is impossible. Most states won't count your vote at all, many that do require the person you write in to have filed a bunch of paperwork about 3 months prior, so again, your vote won't count. So, write-ins aren't allowed to count, pretty much.

So, if the candidate is on the ballot and you want to vote for him/her, then do it. It's nobody's business but your own.

As for Dan's reply, we'll revisit that ideaology in 4 years and ask Dan who he voted for. lol ;)

In the last 2 elections I have voted to vote against someone or something, rather than voting for a candidate. I guess I'll have to make it three elections in a row, now. I don't like any of the candidates (so I'll vote against rather than for someone). Call it voting for the best of all evils.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #10

Wolfman. It's your vote. The only vote thrown away is the one not cast. We have the opportunity to vote for the individual that we believe will do the best for our country and its citizens, but to many people do not take the time to vote, then many of those same individuals gripe about the outcome.

Too many of our young men and women have paid the ultimate price to preserve our right to vote for us to not participate. We may not agree with another person or who they voted for, but thats ok, we can still have a beer together and know we participated in the selection, win or lose, of the next president or whatever elected office we vote for.

Sorry, I got carried away. I'll just say that I and my Nomad will be at our polling place on election day and cast our vote.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak031
Of course it would be!
In the song, isn't Danny Boy dead? ??? (Sorry Dan).

;)

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadgary
Wolfman. It's your vote. The only vote thrown away is the one not cast. We have the opportunity to vote for the individual that we believe will do the best for our country and its citizens, but to many people do not take the time to vote, then many of those same individuals gripe about the outcome.

Too many of our young men and women have paid the ultimate price to preserve our right to vote for us to not participate. We may not agree with another person or who they voted for, but thats ok, we can still have a beer together and know we participated in the selection, win or lose, of the next president or whatever elected office we vote for.

Sorry, I got carried away. I'll just say that I and my Nomad will be at our polling place on election day and cast our vote.
+1

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Voting this year is tough--they all suck in my opinion. I plan on voting by ruling out the ones I don't want for what ever reason and casting my vote for the one with the least bad points.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
VBA Founder

I've never voted straight party lines. I don't really consider myself a Democrat or Republican. I've historically voted for who I thought was the best candidate in my opinion.

In my lifetime, I've only voted one time out of mainstream party's and that was for Ross Perot. Laugh if you will, but I felt he might do some good if elected.

And Dan.....I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about your stay at home statement. I understand how you feel. It can get frustrating at times. Just keep on telling it like you see it.

Politics has always been frustrating to me. Nothing but candidates making promises to get your vote, then when they get in office, it's business as "pork barrel" usual. It's hard for one man to take on Congress. Even if he may be right.

But.....that's America.....and I wouldn't live anywhere else.......OK, so maybe I might live in Canada or Australia to see what it's like...LOL.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #15

Nothing you've ever wrote has offended me. I fact I find your posts enlightning. Always have appreciated your point of view. Vent on.