Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #1

Deer hit my brother; he's unscathed!

A few hours ago my brother Cory and I were out for a local ride through the country. We noticed a few deer grazing in the bar ditch along county road 109 so we slowed down to about 50 mph. About 100 yards later a white tail buck comes bounding across the road from our left, right in front of Cory. As he's looking at the buck, a doe jumps into the road and hits Cory's left arm and chest with its head and kind of glances of of him and catches up with the buck who is now in the right side bar ditch about to jump a barb wire fence. Cory's Suzuki Volusia 800 wobbled slightly and to my amazement, stayed upright and kept on going.

We pulled over so he could change his drawers and discuss what had just happened. That was a close one. Angels were working overtime tonight.
Sold: Red 1999 Vulcan 1500 Nomad G1A
VBA# 2713, VROC #36569, TXVROC, American Legion Riders, VFW, VFD, NRA

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Bart; 08-11-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #2

He was lucky. You read so many times of a person hitting a deer on a bike or in a car and the damage is usually more substantial. Next time he'll probably stop and take a break when he sees them on the side of the road.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

That is scary. While riding across Pennsylvania a few months ago we saw over a dozen dead deer on side of highways. I was thinking how busy the state troopers must be from all those accidents. It made me a little nervous because it seems it could happen at any moment. I have a few friends that live upstate NY and they all have at least one story of deer incidents.
Glad to hear ur brother was not injured. Im sure he will never forget that one.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

They are on the move here as well. Even in the truck I am looking twice around every corner now. Went out to the hunting land yesterday and didnt see anything, not even a track or sign. Driving to work this morning still in the neighborhood I saw 2.... Guess its time to put corn in the back yard.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
They are on the move here as well. Even in the truck I am looking twice around every corner now. Went out to the hunting land yesterday and didnt see anything, not even a track or sign. Driving to work this morning still in the neighborhood I saw 2.... Guess its time to put corn in the back yard.
Silly hunter. Everyone knows that if you want to find deer during hunting season, you gotta hunt from the roadside - that's where they are all at! Even better, they hang around those Deer Crossing signs so they can meet other deers. Second best, blind curves ....

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #6

Good to hear that he came out of it unscathed, a few years ago Trip had one jump over him while riding the bike.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Couple years ago I was behind a bike, didn't know them just caught up to them on the road, with a couple on it. From the left a herd of them come out..he is all over the brakes and down to about 20...looks like they are all going to pass in front of him when one falls down in the middle of the road. Not enough time to come to a complete stop so he gunned it to try and get by. I would have done the same. Deer got up and ran right into the side of the bike and pinned his wifes leg between the bike and the deer. Deer bounced off and kept running, dude kept it up just fine.

Broke her leg between the knee and the foot.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsteve View Post
That is scary. While riding across Pennsylvania a few months ago we saw over a dozen dead deer on side of highways. I was thinking how busy the state troopers must be from all those accidents. It made me a little nervous because it seems it could happen at any moment. I have a few friends that live upstate NY and they all have at least one story of deer incidents.
Glad to hear ur brother was not injured. Im sure he will never forget that one.
By the looks of all the dead deer here in Pa. its hard to believe there are any live ones left.
On the bike I had three very close calls with deer. All three times they were buck at mid day. My wife was behind me on her bike and couldn't believe I didn't hit any of them.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.