Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

My home town

When I tell people in the VBA that I am from North St. Paul,MN they immediately think of a large city. Not so. Check out the article that was in the Minneapolis Star Tribune recently.

Day trip: North St. Paul is an old-style small town in town

Article by: BILL WARD , Star Tribune
Updated: July 19, 2014 - 9:19 AM

It would seem to be difficult for a town with a 44-foot-tall stucco snowman to fly under the radar. But somehow, North St. Paul does it. With few exits off Hwy. 36, it’s often referred to as “the town the freeway forgot.” More accurately, it’s the town that time forgot — an erstwhile planned community with an old-style main street, the state’s oldest continuously operated bar and more historical museums (two) than stoplights (one). History matters here. Every new commercial façade has to be deemed historically suitable by a city commission. The result, according to shop owner Del Howard: “We get a lot of customers who say, ‘What a cute little town!’ ” And certainly one worth visiting.

Day starter — and brightener

Technically, Shar-el’s (6030 50th St. N., 651-773-8636) sits in Oakdale, a few feet from North St. Paul’s eastern border, but this is where locals go for breakfast and lunch. Open from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily, it’s a real-deal diner, complete with a sign on the wall reading: “Let me drop EVERYTHING and work on your problem.” You half-expect to see Aunt Bee in the kitchen, pulling the homemade caramel cinnamon and pecan rolls out of the oven. “We get people from North St. Paul who come in two times a day,” said Savannah Weiden as she and her cousin, Myles Buersken, delivered stacks of steaming pancakes and topped off coffee cups. “We see a lot of familiar faces every day.”

Let it snow, man

Who needs a dumb ol’ spoon and cherry bridge when you can have a ginormous snowman statue? Rising 44 feet on a plot of land next to Hwy. 36, the 20-ton, stucco-and-chicken wire structure is the town’s official logo and unofficial mascot. Back story? Seems that a lack of snow once kept the good citizens of North St. Paul from building a “real” snowman for their annual Sno-Daze festival. So a permanent one was built in the early 1970s. Believed to be the world’s largest snowman statue, it certainly has the widest smile: 16 feet. Despite its dimensions, townspeople are ambivalent about the kitschy-but-cool landmark. “It’s an icon, good and bad,” said merchant Howard. “Let’s put it this way: When people come here, that’s where they get their picture taken.”

Lakeside play dates

The city was incorporated in 1887 as a “planned community” around Silver Lake. Founder Henry A. Castle even named the streets (Margaret, Charles, Henry, Helen) after his children. While his lakeside summer villa is gone, and the planning never quite took hold, the Charles McKenney house (2569 18th Av.) evokes the Victorian splendor of the town’s halcyon days. Beaches and playgrounds dot the lake today — from the northern side’s Dorothy Park (which boasts a slide that debuted when baby boomers were babies) to shiny new jungle gyms on the east-side beach. This Sunday, the annual Silver Lake Splash festival features live music, vendors and kids’ activities around the lake.

Scouts honored

One of the more modern buildings along North St. Paul’s “main street” ****— 7th Avenue — houses a semi-*hidden gem: the North Star Museum of Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting (2640 7th Av. E., 651-748-2880, www.nssm.org). Even with 150,000 objects and some stellar displays (a 1915 uniform, a medallion honoring a St. Paul troop for its fundraising during World War I, several Norman Rockwell paintings depicting scouting), the museum is a work in progress, said executive director Claudia Nicholson. “We’re moving from a collectors’ place to a history museum. We want to tell and show visitors things that will transport them back in time.” So far so good.

Bookends from the past

The wood floors creak in the town’s post office (2523 7th Av. E., 651-770-8388; 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturdays), and the mid-century-modern P.O. boxes add to the retro feel. But it’s the giant mural on the east wall, above the manager’s office and bulletin boards, that seals the New Deal look. Donald Humphrey’s tempera “Production,” painted in 1941, depicts dairy farmers at work. At the other end of the town’s main street, check out the World War I-era howitzer outside and sundry treasures inside the Historical Society (2666 7th Av. E., 651-747-2432; 10 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturdays).

Libation lore

Neumann’s, a tavern as old as the town itself, has been serving Hamm’s beer ever since it opened in the late 1800s — not from the same barrel, thankfully. Although the bar (2531 7th Av. E., 651-770-6020, neumannsbar.com) has been gussied up a bit, it still has its original tin roof. Legend has it that during Prohibition, the proprietors served “near beer” on the main floor, had a speakeasy upstairs and sold homemade hooch out of the basement. There’s good tavern fare, including a weekend special on gyros. Up front near the windows, there’s a terrarium with two well-fed frogs of indeterminate age. “They were here when I bought the place seven years ago,” said owner Mike Brown, “so I’ll go with them being here since Jim Neumann opened the joint in 1887.”

Our kind of Garage sale

You can find a little bit of everything at La’ Garage and Gallery (2550 7th Av. E., 651 770-8405, lagarageandgallery.com): clothes, furniture, cards (playing and holiday), toys, garden décor (including birdhouses made from license plates), books, electronics and all manner of home furnishings. It’s basically a general store without the groceries. Del and Carolyn Howard’s store has done so well that they were able to buy the current building they’re in and put up a facade of Old Chicago brick. “They’re building this town to be like a town, not a suburb,” Del said. “All these businesses are mom-and-pop operations.”

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by GIBBY; 07-21-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

Having trouble reading the little purple letters.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 07-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #3

Hope you don't mind I made it easier to read.

Day trip: North St. Paul is an old-style small town in town

Article by: BILL WARD , Star Tribune
Updated: July 19, 2014 - 9:19 AM

It would seem to be difficult for a town with a 44-foot-tall stucco snowman to fly under the radar. But somehow, North St. Paul does it. With few exits off Hwy. 36, it’s often referred to as “the town the freeway forgot.” More accurately, it’s the town that time forgot — an erstwhile planned community with an old-style main street, the state’s oldest continuously operated bar and more historical museums (two) than stoplights (one). History matters here. Every new commercial façade has to be deemed historically suitable by a city commission. The result, according to shop owner Del Howard: “We get a lot of customers who say, ‘What a cute little town!’ ” And certainly one worth visiting.

Day starter — and brightener

Technically, Shar-el’s (6030 50th St. N., 651-773-8636) sits in Oakdale, a few feet from North St. Paul’s eastern border, but this is where locals go for breakfast and lunch. Open from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily, it’s a real-deal diner, complete with a sign on the wall reading: “Let me drop EVERYTHING and work on your problem.” You half-expect to see Aunt Bee in the kitchen, pulling the homemade caramel cinnamon and pecan rolls out of the oven. “We get people from North St. Paul who come in two times a day,” said Savannah Weiden as she and her cousin, Myles Buersken, delivered stacks of steaming pancakes and topped off coffee cups. “We see a lot of familiar faces every day.”

Let it snow, man

Who needs a dumb ol’ spoon and cherry bridge when you can have a ginormous snowman statue? Rising 44 feet on a plot of land next to Hwy. 36, the 20-ton, stucco-and-chicken wire structure is the town’s official logo and unofficial mascot. Back story? Seems that a lack of snow once kept the good citizens of North St. Paul from building a “real” snowman for their annual Sno-Daze festival. So a permanent one was built in the early 1970s. Believed to be the world’s largest snowman statue, it certainly has the widest smile: 16 feet. Despite its dimensions, townspeople are ambivalent about the kitschy-but-cool landmark. “It’s an icon, good and bad,” said merchant Howard. “Let’s put it this way: When people come here, that’s where they get their picture taken.”

Lakeside play dates

The city was incorporated in 1887 as a “planned community” around Silver Lake. Founder Henry A. Castle even named the streets (Margaret, Charles, Henry, Helen) after his children. While his lakeside summer villa is gone, and the planning never quite took hold, the Charles McKenney house (2569 18th Av.) evokes the Victorian splendor of the town’s halcyon days. Beaches and playgrounds dot the lake today — from the northern side’s Dorothy Park (which boasts a slide that debuted when baby boomers were babies) to shiny new jungle gyms on the east-side beach. This Sunday, the annual Silver Lake Splash festival features live music, vendors and kids’ activities around the lake.

Scouts honored

One of the more modern buildings along North St. Paul’s “main street” ****— 7th Avenue — houses a semi-*hidden gem: the North Star Museum of Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting (2640 7th Av. E., 651-748-2880, www.nssm.org). Even with 150,000 objects and some stellar displays (a 1915 uniform, a medallion honoring a St. Paul troop for its fundraising during World War I, several Norman Rockwell paintings depicting scouting), the museum is a work in progress, said executive director Claudia Nicholson. “We’re moving from a collectors’ place to a history museum. We want to tell and show visitors things that will transport them back in time.” So far so good.

Bookends from the past

The wood floors creak in the town’s post office (2523 7th Av. E., 651-770-8388; 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturdays), and the mid-century-modern P.O. boxes add to the retro feel. But it’s the giant mural on the east wall, above the manager’s office and bulletin boards, that seals the New Deal look. Donald Humphrey’s tempera “Production,” painted in 1941, depicts dairy farmers at work. At the other end of the town’s main street, check out the World War I-era howitzer outside and sundry treasures inside the Historical Society (2666 7th Av. E., 651-747-2432; 10 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturdays).

Libation lore

Neumann’s, a tavern as old as the town itself, has been serving Hamm’s beer ever since it opened in the late 1800s — not from the same barrel, thankfully. Although the bar (2531 7th Av. E., 651-770-6020, neumannsbar.com) has been gussied up a bit, it still has its original tin roof. Legend has it that during Prohibition, the proprietors served “near beer” on the main floor, had a speakeasy upstairs and sold homemade hooch out of the basement. There’s good tavern fare, including a weekend special on gyros. Up front near the windows, there’s a terrarium with two well-fed frogs of indeterminate age. “They were here when I bought the place seven years ago,” said owner Mike Brown, “so I’ll go with them being here since Jim Neumann opened the joint in 1887.”

Our kind of Garage sale

You can find a little bit of everything at La’ Garage and Gallery (2550 7th Av. E., 651 770-8405, lagarageandgallery.com): clothes, furniture, cards (playing and holiday), toys, garden décor (including birdhouses made from license plates), books, electronics and all manner of home furnishings. It’s basically a general store without the groceries. Del and Carolyn Howard’s store has done so well that they were able to buy the current building they’re in and put up a facade of Old Chicago brick. “They’re building this town to be like a town, not a suburb,” Del said. “All these businesses are mom-and-pop operations.”

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 07-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

Nice article. It sounds like a quaint town. You should post some pics.

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #5

Sounds like a nice place Gibby. I live in a beautiful small town. After growing up in Queens I love it. I had to pick my son up in Orlando today and it sucked. I love the peace and quiet of my beach town
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #6

Seems like a great town.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #7

This song seems appropriate... at least for my little home town.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Last edited by glwilson; 07-21-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

My children are fourth generation in my small town. However, the city folk keep moving in and they are bringing everything with them. Supposedly, Walmart and Costco are moving in next. Good for the local economy I guess, but not good for the locals that loved their small town. Be grateful that the highway forgot your little town. Hopefully it will stay like it is. As for me, I will be trying to move further up the mountain in the next ten years if I can afford it.

2005 1600 nomad

Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #9

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Look what happened to this poor girl:

She went back home and the government, and existentially a bunch of greedy crony capitalist pigs with their filthy, stinking, rotten money, tore the whole town down, paved it over and put up shopping malls all over the place.

You just cain't have nothing!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Nice. Here's Good Morning Americas take on my little hometown (the year I graduated HS).

Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

That sounds a really kewl town! Thanks for sharing.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

My wife is up there in Minneapolis this week on a business trip. Ever bbeen to Al's Breakfast or the Blue Door Diner? What about the 5-8 Club or Matt's Bar?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #13

The original 5-8 is very close to where I live. Don't hang in Minneapolis much. I'm more of a Stillwater kind of guy. (small town on the St. Croix River)

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBY View Post
The original 5-8 is very close to where I live. Don't hang in Minneapolis much. I'm more of a Stillwater kind of guy. (small town on the St. Croix River)
I've only been to MN a couple times. The BMWMOA is having their rally this week at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds in St Paul.

http://bmwmoa.org/TheRally/The2014BM...onalRally.aspx
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #15

I grew up in a very small town and like all teenagers couldnt wait to leave. I spent the next 25 years in the big city and seeing the world in the Navy. Finally I couldnt stand it any more and moved right back where I came from, within a few miles of my original home as a kid. Some friends remained, some were gone, and the town had tripled in size and people but it was still a fantastic change of pace. I couldn't imagine living in a city with 4 million people again. I hope your town stays just the way you like it Gibby...

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195