Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #1

OK Guys....Here is my short list

I am shopping and test riding to replace my beloved Nomad. Hope to have it narrowed down to one in a couple days and bought by late next week. Open to both new and used. It was requested I give some feedback on my test rides and decision making process. I will do that after the purchase is made.

Here they are in no particular order;

Kawasaki C14 Concours (because it is a Kawasaki I am hoping Jared gives me a better title than Enthusiest.....like those Victory Turds)

Honda ST1300

Yamaha FJR

BMW K1200/1300LT or GT

Victory Cross Country/Cross Country Tour*

Yamaha Stratoliner*

* I know these are no lighter than the Nomad but sometimes the center of gravity and additional power/ergos can make it feel lighter.

My budget is $12,000 or less. Believe it or not you can find a couple of these bikes brand new for that (i.e. Stratoliner and St1300) if you are willing to take a leftover from previous model years or are willing to travel a ways to get them.

Can't buy a new Victory or BMW for this budget but I have found some decent used ones.

The hunt has been fun so far but I am ready to fill the stall soon.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by schoeney; 04-26-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Schoeney your price does narrow your choices somewhat. I know the Tour Vic is off the table as used is almost 20K.

My Cross Country Tour sits so much lower than my Nomad. Not sure what your limiting factors are. ST1300 and the BMW's have a much higher center of gravity but much stronger motors. You've really thrown out a menagerie of bikes. No two alike.

The victory CC used might work out. Are you taking long distances or medium range? Give me more of what type of riding you prefer to do and "must haves" in a bike. For example; I thought hard about a GW but didn't want that large of a barge for my all around bike. But a must have was storage room because my girlfriend and I enjoy taking trips across many states and need the room. I realized that the Cross Country Tour was the only bike that was easy to handle at very slow speeds due to center of gravity yet provide all day comfort and larger storage capacity of a GW.

Give us some more specifics and I'll try to give you my honest opinion. If I wasn't into traveling for weeks at a time and didn't need more stuff than a 3 day weekend the Triumph Thunderbird would have been a major consideration.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #3

I would go with the stratoliner or the FJR. I am considering both as well just sometime in the future. They are both fantastic bikes.

Dale

Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Schoeney your price does narrow your choices somewhat. I know the Tour Vic is off the table as used is almost 20K.

My Cross Country Tour sits so much lower than my Nomad. Not sure what your limiting factors are. ST1300 and the BMW's have a much higher center of gravity but much stronger motors. You've really thrown out a menagerie of bikes. No two alike.

The victory CC used might work out. Are you taking long distances or medium range? Give me more of what type of riding you prefer to do and "must haves" in a bike. For example; I thought hard about a GW but didn't want that large of a barge for my all around bike. But a must have was storage room because my girlfriend and I enjoy taking trips across many states and need the room. I realized that the Cross Country Tour was the only bike that was easy to handle at very slow speeds due to center of gravity yet provide all day comfort and larger storage capacity of a GW.

Give us some more specifics and I'll try to give you my honest opinion. If I wasn't always dreaming of traveling for weeks at a time and didn't need more stuff than a 3 day weekend the Triumph Thunderbird would have been a major consideration.
Hey Magellan, since when do you travel by bike for "weeks at a time"?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 04-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

Might want to expand your list to a used (2010-2012) Victory Cross Roads. I've seen several in the 10-12K range. It's very close to the same bike as the Cross Country and Cross Country Tour with fewer factory add ons. The trick is that all of those add ons are available later (new or used) and fit on the Cross Roads. You could turn your CR into a CCT a few pieces at a time.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Top Contributor

The suspense is killing me...! That is a diverse selection of bike models from which to choose. I can't see you sitting in a forward-leaning position with the family jewels getting the rolling pin treatment, so I'm gonna guess a used XC is in his future. If he rides one, he will own one. Just make sure if you consider a used XC Greg, that the previous owner has taken steps to deal with wind management, as buffeting is an issue with those bikes. The XCT has mitigated nearly all of the buffeting issues by virtue of the hard lowers, a windscreen that is raised a tad off of the fairing to allow airflow up both sides of the shield...and air wings attached to the underside of the fairing. None of that stuff comes on a plain XC, but guys add air wings, hard lowers, or engine guard chaps, depending on what they have for engine guard bars. HHhhmmm....I have an idea....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #7

Kris and I posted at almost the same time . . . Maybe same Idea too

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Hey Magellan, since when do you travel by bike for "weeks at a time"?
Is your name Schoeney ass wipe??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #9

The limited knowledge I have of the Sport tourers you listed is that the Connie has the most aggressive riding position which for a taller guy might be an issue, been ages since Honda did anything to the ST so I'd likely lean towards the FJR out of that group.

I test road a BMW K1200LT and loved it although the bike I tested was like an 80's GM econo rattletrap, don't know if it was that bike or a common issue to the model. The Strat I've ridden had a nice engine but it's got a 4.5 Gal tank and likes it's fuel so range can be an issue.

I've only got 20 miles on my Cross Country Tour (picked it up today in 34 degrees and crap weather so didn't ride) but can say the bike just pulls and pulls when you roll it on and it handles so much quicker than the Nomad. And while it's heavier than the Nomad it feels lighter lifting it off the side stand but that still doesn't solve the issue of your bent knee at stops.

Another bike that sits taller and is a few hundred pounds lighter is the BMW R1200RT, not as much performance as the K bikes but sip fuel and would out run a Cruiser any time. I actually tested one of those prior to buying the Victory but Char didn't like the passenger accommodations and with the amount of 2-up we do that was a deal breaker.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post

Give us some more specifics and I'll try to give you my honest opinion. If I wasn't into traveling for weeks at a time and didn't need more stuff than a 3 day weekend the Triumph Thunderbird would have been a major consideration.

My favorite type of riding is overnight stuff (I just don't have a lot of time for it) 1000-2500 mile trips. Second choice is 200-300 day trips. Not a big fan of local stuff.

Most of my miles come on lonely secondary highways, that is where real America begins. scenery, greasy spoons, ma + pa places, landmarks, interesting terrain. Although most longer rides end up with a last day dash home on the interstate.....which I dislike.

95% of my riding is solo but my wife is starting to ride a bit more and I am hoping to increase her participation to at least a few weekend rides and a leisurely day ride once in awhile.

I enjoy relaxed rides, my "go like a bat out of hell days" are over but I want plenty of power to keep the cagers out of my imaginary bubble (where I visit my imaginary friends) I also don't want to work hard at keeping up when riding with others.

I am not a loud pipe fan (but none on my list are too loud for me) Riding the twisties with confidence is important. The look (not to be confused with the condition) of the bike is not critical .....within reason.

I am not a garage tinkerer, between working and my other hobbies there is just no time for it.

You hit the nail on the head regarding the Gold Wing....great bike .....just too bulky. Maybe some day, but only if my wife gets hooked....doubtful.

You are right about the CCT.... not within the budget but I have found an occasional decent Cross Country and Cross Roads that are within budget.

The knee is an issue but I have found that it does fine with some larger bikes, like the Stratoliner, but not others, like my Nomad. I suspect it is due to the combination of power (to get moving from a stop quicker) and how long it takes to feather the clutch while moving slow (slow uphill turns at stop signs).

Of course all the foo foo stuff is welcome but not a deal breaker. Heated grips, seats, cruise, tall 5th gear or a 6th gear, trunk,etc.

I have been looking at so many bikes, websites, magazines, and reviews that it is starting to be like looking at a dozen houses in a day. They all start to run together and you start forgetting which model has what.

Any input is welcome.
VBA #659

Last edited by schoeney; 04-26-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
The limited knowledge I have of the Sport tourers you listed is that the Connie has the most aggressive riding position which for a taller guy might be an issue, been ages since Honda did anything to the ST so I'd likely lean towards the FJR out of that group.

I test road a BMW K1200LT and loved it although the bike I tested was like an 80's GM econo rattletrap, don't know if it was that bike or a common issue to the model. The Strat I've ridden had a nice engine but it's got a 4.5 Gal tank and likes it's fuel so range can be an issue.

I've only got 20 miles on my Cross Country Tour (picked it up today in 34 degrees and crap weather so didn't ride) but can say the bike just pulls and pulls when you roll it on and it handles so much quicker than the Nomad. And while it's heavier than the Nomad it feels lighter lifting it off the side stand but that still doesn't solve the issue of your bent knee at stops.

Another bike that sits taller and is a few hundred pounds lighter is the BMW R1200RT, not as much performance as the K bikes but sip fuel and would out run a Cruiser any time. I actually tested one of those prior to buying the Victory but Char didn't like the passenger accommodations and with the amount of 2-up we do that was a deal breaker.
That would drive me nuts. Having a beautiful new bike in the garage and too crappy outside to ride it. Congrats on the new ride!
VBA #659

Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

You've listed a wide range of ride styles. Sounds like you should be on a sport tourer.
I prefer the ST over the C14 and the FJR, but they are tall to the saddles. i have no
experience with the BMW's. Good Luck with your decision.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Greg, I am going to (Vic XC) leave my opinion (Vic XC) out of this (Vic XC) as I know (Vic XC) it is an important (Vic XC) decision for you. I am sure (Vic XC) with your diligence (Vic XC) you will find (Vic XC) just the bike (Vic XC) you are looking for....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
Greg, I am going to (Vic XC) leave my opinion (Vic XC) out of this (Vic XC) as I know (Vic XC) it is an important (Vic XC) decision for you. I am sure (Vic XC) with your diligence (Vic XC) you will find (Vic XC) just the bike (Vic XC) you are looking for....

Nothing like being opinionated there Kris (Vic XC).
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
Kudos on keeping your personal opinion out of that post

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally