Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #1

Harley Harley Harley Harley Harley

Okay I finally did it. After being pressured from the guys in my club about Harley Davidson being the greatest thing on earth since Jesus, I finally took one for a test ride with the possibility of buying one. Got to the dealer and they looked over my 2011 Voyager with a fine tooth comb and went to get me a trade-in price while I took a Road Glide Ultra for a ride.
From the moment I sat on the bike and took off, I wasn't impressed. Clutch action was a little quicker then the Voyager. Pickup may have been a little faster too. But the vibration was ridiculous, even while moving. I don't see the attraction in that. Then the pedals really sucked. Both the brake pedal and the shifter were so close in to the frame, it made it difficult and uncomfortable to brake and shift, and I'm only 6", 250 lbs. The salesman said I could buy an extended brake pedal. It didn't have a gear indicator. Not that it's mandatory, but it is really nice to have. And the entire dashboard was just ho hum. I like mine way better. I still don't get the CD player. When we got back from the test ride, I didn't even bother finding out what their deal would be. So I guess I'll be ridiculed by the guys in my club forever. I won't be 'welcomed' and feel the love at Harley dealerships everywhere I go, as one guy said, and I won't have to stop at every Harley dealership I pass, as they do, but I'll still love what I ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #2

I'm 6-04 and find that the FL platform (road king, street glide, electra glide, etc) are all too short for me to ride comfortably. One of the reasons, besides ridiculous cost, I got the Nomad was the fact that it is several inches longer. The Harley's sound nice, and the Road King classic with the leather style bags sure looks nice... but the cost, unreliability, size and discomfort throw me off every time. Of course EVERYONE in my MC rides a Harley, but I just don't quite understand the draw. Thats fine with me though, makes my bike easy to find amongst the HD's... its the only one without the oil leak!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I'm 6-04 and find that the FL platform (road king, street glide, electra glide, etc) are all too short for me to ride comfortably. One of the reasons, besides ridiculous cost, I got the Nomad was the fact that it is several inches longer. The Harley's sound nice, and the Road King classic with the leather style bags sure looks nice... but the cost, unreliability, size and discomfort throw me off every time. Of course EVERYONE in my MC rides a Harley, but I just don't quite understand the draw. Thats fine with me though, makes my bike easy to find amongst the HD's... its the only one without the oil leak!!!
Please explain the "unreliability", I'd like to hear about that.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #4

Harley has some nice bikes but I still walk into my garage and my sweet 08 black n red Nomad and smile from ear to ear. I don't know of a better bang for your buck ride. If I ever need another bike it'll be a Nomad
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
I still walk into my garage and look my sweet 08 black n red Nomad and smile from ear to ear.
I do that too.

who you learn from depends on who is willing to teach

Life Is Brief & Time Is A Thief

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

cactusjack writes:

CJ, you know as well as the rest of us that HD used to have some problems, all MC's
have some problems. The modern HD's are far superior to what they used to produce.
I for one am happy that HD is making quality stuff, I love the way they look and sound.
But I'm totally happy with my Nomad, I believe you were at one time with yours as
well. Some of these newer people haven't caught on that several HD owners live with
us in this forum. Sometimes overlooking a comment from the uninformed is welcomed.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Top Contributor

I can see why a taller person would like a nomad better and a smaller person would like a HD. When I sit on a HD it feels small compaired to my nomad after 5 years in the saddle.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #8

I recently gave serious consideration to getting a new bike and I looked at both the Road King and Ultra Classic (and the Victory and the Yamaha but thats another story). Love the looks of both. Harley sure can do a great factory paint job and there are accessories to make each one look great.

Both were horribly uncomfortable to me (5-11 250). My wife rode back seat on the Road King and was so uncomfortable we cut short a test drive to return her to the dealer.

Pricing is what they can get so I cant argue that point. I can say I keep up with my Harley buddies at 1/3 the cost. There are plenty of things I can add and probably have over the years.

My Harley buddies take their bikes to the shop about twice a year (I know because they ask to use my trailer) but I cant comment on whether its because they dont want to change their own oil or they cant get it to start anymore. Mine hasnt seen a shop in 3 years but gets modded and maintained twice a year by me because I like to do it myself.

When it all comes down to brass tacks, I still say I made the right choice and love my ride. It gets better each season and my wife doesnt complain. Its all good.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #9

I had a Harley for two years, it was a not a touring bike (the Street Bob) but had the same size engine. Harleys are good bikes, I wanted one all my life but couldn't afford one. So now I had one, (bought it used) but I didn't really like the way it rode on long trips.

And to get a comfortable touring Harley the prices the saleman quoted me were around $6200 more for a Road King with less amenities than a standard equipment Nomad. I road the RK and Nomad, I liked the way the Nomad rode better. I also rode the Yamaha Strat, the Nomad still rode better (to me). I traded my Harley in on the Nomad.

I know HD guys that have the extended warranties and the bikes have been in the shop enough times to pay for the warranties. But then "all" bikes will have their troubles from time to time. HD has a recurring issue with some of their torque compensators. And if you are the type to put a big bore kit etc etc, you might want to have that crank welded (and trued) since it's pressed together and some of um have slipped with the big bore kits.

It's each to your own, I love any bike with two wheels and the wind in my face. But I can't see paying that much more money for a Harley.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #10

Ive taken a couple of Ultras for test rides and was quite impressed with the bikes. I found that they handled excellent, brakes were very smooth, and they felt a lot easier to ride. The shake at idle seems a bit much, but it dissapears as soon as you give it a bit of throttle.
And the fellas I ride with have had no more problems that I have had with my bike, which isn't much overall.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #11

I have a friend that owns a road king. he has 43,000 miles on it and never a problem.
He can also afford to buy anything he wants. He got it simply because all his riding buddy's have them.
Not because it is the best bike he ever road. But he says it's a good bike and he is happy with it.
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Top Contributor

"So I guess I'll be ridiculed by the guys in my club forever".

Misery loves company (g).

Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
Harley has some nice bikes but I still walk into my garage and my sweet 08 black n red Nomad and smile from ear to ear. I don't know of a better bang for your buck ride. If I ever need another bike it'll be a Nomad
The new nomad is over 16K now, which puts it in a different price class from the old one.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
cactusjack writes:

CJ, you know as well as the rest of us that HD used to have some problems, all MC's
have some problems. The modern HD's are far superior to what they used to produce.
I for one am happy that HD is making quality stuff, I love the way they look and sound.
But I'm totally happy with my Nomad, I believe you were at one time with yours as
well. Some of these newer people haven't caught on that several HD owners live with
us in this forum. Sometimes overlooking a comment from the uninformed is welcomed.
With all due respect, I wasn't asking you, Gerry.

I'm sure Spoon059 is a big boy and can explain himself. I just want to hear what he has to say.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 12-09-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Ive taken a couple of Ultras for test rides and was quite impressed with the bikes. I found that they handled excellent, brakes were very smooth, and they felt a lot easier to ride. The shake at idle seems a bit much, but it dissapears as soon as you give it a bit of throttle.
And the fellas I ride with have had no more problems that I have had with my bike, which isn't much overall.
ditto for me. I rode an Ultra and vibes went away after getting under way. In fact there was less vibration under way than on the Voyager I rode. Great low speed handling too. Downers were that it felt cramped, small floorboards and the shifter is annoying in that it intrudes on foot space. That said, I wouldn't characterize it as a bad bike at all.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11