Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Advanced Member

AMERICADE?

Hello All. My wife and I are thinking of going to a Rally called AMERICADE. Has anyone gone? If so, any suggestions where to stay at reasonable prices etc... Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

AMERICADE?

Hi, If you google, www. tourexpo 2011, then go to the official site. It lists everything you could care to know. Lodging, restaurants and a list of events. It can be a lot of fun. It also might be their last year of exsistance. If you can go, you should.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #3

AMERICADE?

Never heard of it before but did check it out. It appears to be an extremely well-organized event.

http://tourexpo.com/data/index.php

They have a rather expensive brochure they put out (and can be viewed on the bottom of their website) that lists all of the activities, sights, rides, and etc. It appears every motorcycle company have tents for displays there. There also appears to be multiple events going on from bull-riding to motorcycle-riding going on.

From what I can see, the organizers seem to have their act together; so I would contact them or some of the lodging-facilities advertising in the brochure to get answers to some of your questions. I am sure you'll get the help you need.

As I said... looks like a great event. I would probably go if I had the time.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

AMERICADE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Hi, If you google, www. tourexpo 2011, then go to the official site. It lists everything you could care to know. Lodging, restaurants and a list of events. It can be a lot of fun. It also might be their last year of exsistance. If you can go, you should.
Loafer... where did you read it might be the last one? I didn't catch that.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

AMERICADE?

Ive never been myself, but my neighbour use to go every year. He said it was one of the best bike events he's ever attended.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

AMERICADE?

Americade, was out west about 26 years ago, under a slightly different name. Bob Doucher [don't know if I spelled his name right] took the idea East to Lake George, N.Y. He has been running the event all this time. It is a lot of fun, and lots to see. It runs the first full week of June, Tuesday thru Saturday. There are inexpensive things to do and of course some things can be expensive. My sons and I sign up to ride everything we can get our hands on. Their bikes and fuel, great fun.
The state of N.Y. rents space to the event. They raise the rent frequently. And it has put a strain on the organizers trying to cover the rent and other exspenses without making the event so pricey as to make people stay away. Last year there was a huge dispute, as the state wanted to double the rent. They only provide the land, that is all. Well the organizers have had enough. They have started tours in New England, limited to about 100 riders per group. And if the state of N.Y. pushes again, they are threatening to move the event out of N.Y. or disolve it all together. Since they have started the N.E. tours, it appears they very well may make this the last year. Needless to say all the businesses are upset at the potential loss of income. We stay at the same place every year, and Bob [owner of the cabin we rent] keeps us informed as to what is going on. If they ever stop the event, we will probably still go and stay with Bob for a few days. And just ride are own bikes and fuel.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #7

AMERICADE?

Nice report Loafer. It always amazes me how a lot of States will constantly shoot themselves in the foot. I honestly believe 80% of government employees could never work in the private sector.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #8

AMERICADE?

When we were in Lake George at last years rally I spoke to a few people that mentioned how busy it gets during Americade.
They said it was wall to wall bikes as far as you can see for that week. The local hotels and restaurants must have loved the business boost every year as well. Some of the hotels I heard were making you book for the whole week in order to get a room.
That can get expensive if you don't plan on staying all week.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

AMERICADE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
When we were in Lake George at last years rally I spoke to a few people that mentioned how busy it gets during Americade.
They said it was wall to wall bikes as far as you can see for that week. The local hotels and restaurants must have loved the business boost every year as well. Some of the hotels I heard were making you book for the whole week in order to get a room.
That can get expensive if you don't plan on staying all week.
We stay at the same place same cabin every year, Bob sends out reminders to send in a deposit by March 1st. or your cabin becomes avaiable to anyone. Some of the other guests stay the whole week, some of them have been staying with Bob for up to 18 years, as it is their vacation time with their group. We book for Thursday thru Sunday a.m. We are 7 miles from downtown L. Geo. it is far enough out, that we don't hear MC's all night.
Americade usually brings in about 40,000 bikers for the week. Lots of paint and chrome.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #10

AMERICADE?

At first, I thought this was in Montana for some reason (not quite sure where I got that from); but as mentioned, that really looks like an extremely well-organized event.

I can see where they draw 40,000 bikes (or more).

Regarding the "gov" having their hand-out for more revenue... we have a similar thing here in southern Wisconsin. I help on a charity air-show that we started 10-years ago. We get all the world's top-acts.

Putting this event together was a big struggle for many years and we were resisted by local-government.

Now that the event is a successful annual event; each year we have to put-up with the local government wanting more and more money from it. As with Americade... if it keeps-up; we'll just shut it down forever -- then the county and state will lose millions of dollars (by their own calculation) that the event generates.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

AMERICADE?

It is sad to think that they would sooner have merchants go under, then to help the organizations keep a healthy event going and everyone can reap the benefits. It really is a fun time. I frequent Laconia as well and over the last 25 years I've seen Laconia become a joke. I have more fun at L. Geo.
The Air Show you speak of, probably gives you the inside track as to how difficult government can be, when it comes to them wanting their share.
I hope Americade continues.
I believe that is was originally in Colorado and called Aspencade. I think that is how Honda came up with a name for their top of the line touring rig. I could be wrong, but I could be right...Anyone want to do the research?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
AMERICADE?

Never heard of it before today. I will do a search and check it out.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #13

AMERICADE?

Both Laconia and Americade are within a days ride for me. Ive heard that Laconia is pretty much a Harley only event for the most part. Thats according to a freind who has been there in the past.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
Advanced Member

AMERICADE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Both Laconia and Americade are within a days ride for me. Ive heard that Laconia is pretty much a Harley only event for the most part. Thats according to a freind who has been there in the past.
Laconia is the place to go if you want to "Party" , as for being a Harley thing, I guess it probably was at one point but things have changed big time. Got to remember NH saying "Live free and die"

Americade is more of a touring crowd , Biggest Goldwing reunion, if you wan to shop for stuff at a big flea market this is the place. ;)

Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

AMERICADE?

2511 miles one way for me. No thanks.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17