Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Firewall

At home I use Zonealarm firewall, but Tuesday a new windows patch came thru and I can't get online at home. Just found out it's cause of the patch and zonealarm won't let me got online now. Anybody know of another free firewall or how to to fix my problem? :'(
VBA #00077

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #2

Firewall

I'd turn off Zone Alarm for a day or so. They'll come out with a patch soon. They'll have to to keep their user base happy.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #3

Firewall

Check your firewall setting

Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #4

Firewall

Get a Mac. No need for firewalls. Seriously, Windows XP and Vista come with firewalls. Sometimes if you have the Windows firewall, and another firewall ( Zonealarm ) running at the same time, they stop a lot of stuff that shouldn't be stopped. I'd check settings for both firewalls. Make sure both aren't running, and the one that is running isn't set too high ( too restrictive ).

Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to trevwales
Firewall

Macs have firewalls too. Though strangely mine didnt have it activated when I bought it. Check yours.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Firewall

On a Mac, the firewall is off by default. The only time I turn it on is when I travel or use it outside of work or home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevwales
Macs have firewalls too. Though strangely mine didnt have it activated when I bought it. Check yours.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Firewall

Macs have firewalls, and I would not be so brazen to say you'd never need one with one...That being said, it's a better computing experience with a Mac, but then again I am partial to them, having used them for the past 21 years in some form or another and professionally for the last 14+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
Get a Mac. No need for firewalls. Seriously, Windows XP and Vista come with firewalls. Sometimes if you have the Windows firewall, and another firewall ( Zonealarm ) running at the same time, they stop a lot of stuff that shouldn't be stopped. I'd check settings for both firewalls. Make sure both aren't running, and the one that is running isn't set too high ( too restrictive ).
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #8

Firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
Macs have firewalls, and I would not be so brazen to say you'd never need one with one...That being said, it's a better computing experience with a Mac, but then again I am partial to them, having used them for the past 21 years in some form or another and professionally for the last 14+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
For years there's been a Mac vs. PC argument and I've always been in both camps. In my line of work I've used Mac for audio and video editing, but most digital consoles and digital signal processors still require a PC interface. All through the 90s I had a Mac desktop and a PC laptop. Expensive and inconvenient. A couple of years ago when they released the Intel Mac, I was one of the first to grab one. I bought a MacBook Pro and set it up with bootcamp so I was running OS10 and Windows XP Pro. Best of both worlds. I've also used Parrallels, but it's a bit of a resource hog.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Firewall

I am a technical support person, and I used to work with print and advertising. Macs are very popular with audio and video too. Right now, I work in education, and Macs seem to be popular there as well. I do have XP installed (phone systems don't work with Mac OS), and I also use Fedora Core 9. I still haven't found anything that I would want to replace the Mac OS for my own use, but if I did, I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
For years there's been a Mac vs. PC argument and I've always been in both camps. In my line of work I've used Mac for audio and video editing, but most digital consoles and digital signal processors still require a PC interface. All through the 90s I had a Mac desktop and a PC laptop. Expensive and inconvenient. A couple of years ago when they released the Intel Mac, I was one of the first to grab one. I bought a MacBook Pro and set it up with bootcamp so I was running OS10 and Windows XP Pro. Best of both worlds. I've also used Parrallels, but it's a bit of a resource hog.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 07-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #10

Firewall

Engineering and Industry runs on the PC. Doing CADD and CAM since the mid 70's, it was always an IBM world. It still is. You go buy a $2 mil. CNC punch press or welding robot and can program it from a cheap PC.

But the publishing world has always been Mac. Mac first removed the need for publishers to know any computer science & they ate it up. Now people are pushing us into Mac oriented software run on the PC because they want to believe that drafting is more a matter of publishing than anything else. Fortunately they killed AutoCAD for the Mac a decade ago. UNFORTUNATELY they also killed AutoCAD for the Unix platform & we are stuck running this damnable Windows nonsense.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #11

Firewall

I hear ya Cadd. Audio Analysts (where I work) is a Mac house throughout the company...except our drafting department. AutoCADD and Revit. All PC based. I run AutoCADD on the PC side of my Mac. We also run Vectraworks on the Macs, but as long as we're interfacing with architects and General Contractors, we will always need AutoCADD.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Firewall

Why is it fortunate that they killed AutoCAD for the Mac? Mac OS is Unix based now. Try running 32 gb of RAM with Windows XP... :) The new Macs are Intel based, so you can run just about everything on them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Engineering and Industry runs on the PC. Doing CADD and CAM since the mid 70's, it was always an IBM world. It still is. You go buy a $2 mil. CNC punch press or welding robot and can program it from a cheap PC.

But the publishing world has always been Mac. Mac first removed the need for publishers to know any computer science & they ate it up. Now people are pushing us into Mac oriented software run on the PC because they want to believe that drafting is more a matter of publishing than anything else. Fortunately they killed AutoCAD for the Mac a decade ago. UNFORTUNATELY they also killed AutoCAD for the Unix platform & we are stuck running this damnable Windows nonsense.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 07-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #13

Firewall

Turn your zone alarm settings from high to medium it will work then i had same problem
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 07-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Firewall

Fixed now Zone alarm came out with a new version to fix the patch problem...

Thanks guys

Brad
VBA #00077

Old 07-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #15

Firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot
Fixed now Zone alarm came out with a new version to fix the patch problem...

Thanks guys

Brad
I don't mean to say "see I told ya." But I guess I just did... ::)