Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Oh come on, there are a lot of 900's out there with owners that want to decorate their bikes in chrome.
Finding deals are what it is all about. If you sell it with the bike it will go un cared for and rot, by a un
appreciative owner. If you sell it to someone that wants that part it will live a second life of happiness.
My feelings too...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by racnray View Post
wait...i just thought the only con of a vaquero is not owning one!!

Do i hear a hallelujah??!!

Racnray

hallelujah!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #93

Okay, I have a question....somebody told me yesterday that they owned a 2009 model 1700 Kawasaki (didn't say which, but I am guessing Nomad???) and got rid of it!!! He said the engines cause too much heat and are uncomfortable to ride in the summer.
Is it true???

Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
Somebody tell me more about this throttle "fix", please.

And cheriann, have you gotten your Vaquero already?
I first read about it in the Vaquero Owners thread in here. It's talked about right away....page 2 I think....then it was brought up again here in my thread. RACNRAY does the modification.

I don't have my Vaquero yet.....but hubby has already talked to the salesman and made the deal. We pick it up next Saturday. You don't think I'm anxious do you?!!!! LOL!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
Okay, I have a question....somebody told me yesterday that they owned a 2009 model 1700 Kawasaki (didn't say which, but I am guessing Nomad???) and got rid of it!!! He said the engines cause too much heat and are uncomfortable to ride in the summer.
Is it true???
I have heard that said about the earlier Voyagers. Doesn't seem to be true about the Vaquero (2011 model, at least).

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #96

Quote:
Is it true???
I'm finding this is very subjective area. I rode home from work last week in 92 degree weather. It involved a lot of traffic congestion and i have to wear a suit to work every day. To me my vaquero does not put out an excess amount of heat. I really don't pay much attention to it. I hope this helps.......

Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #97
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is it true???
I would bet that any new bike under EPA regs is going to run hot as hell until the owner opens it up with pipes, air, and fuel.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #98
Advanced Member

Quote:
Fortunately, I'm not holding my breath, but I am not feeling hopeless about it either. We didn't take off major parts, like the engine guards, but we did take off the chrome radiator cover, the decorated side cover, etc.... Just yesterday, on a group bike ride (the last one on my 900) I had a guy looking at my engine guards to see if they would fit his older 1500 classic and asked if I was willing to sell the windshield. The guards didn't fit on his bike. I'm not looking for what I paid, of course, but even $10 is $10 more than I would have gotten leaving it on the bike.
you shouldn't have any problems selling accessories you removed from your previous bike. On another vulcan forum that i post on regularly people are selling removed accessories all the time and they usually go pretty fast. As long as your asking a fair price and they're in good shape they should sell. If it was a $80.00 accessory new and your asking $20 or $30 I think it should sell. People are always looking for deals. Course you'll have a hard time selling accessories for your 900 here, you'll need to go to another forum for that that has allot of 900 owners. the main thing is you'll be making at least some money off your accessories instead of just giving them away with the bike.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72 View Post
I would bet that any new bike under EPA regs is going to run hot as hell until the owner opens it up with pipes, air, and fuel.
I've only changed the exhaust and have found tremendous relief in heat.

It's true the Vaquero will be hotter than your 900 if not for size alone, but I found it notably hotter than my '05 Nomad. That said, 2009 was the first year of the 1700 engine and that's when heat issues were noticed and, for lack of a better term, remedied through some recalls and design changes for subsequent years.

The 1700 exhaust system has the catalytic converters built into the mufflers. The cats are HOT themselves, and restrict exhaust flow which further retains heat.
I still didn't consider it a "must have" modification, but if budget allows it is a very strong "like to have" upgrade.

Best of Luck!

Old 05-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
What did you change to?

Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #101

I did some custom work with some sport bike mufflers ;0)

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24830

Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #102
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post

It's true the Vaquero will be hotter than your 900 if not for size alone, but I found it notably hotter than my '05 Nomad. That said, 2009 was the first year of the 1700 engine and that's when heat issues were noticed and, for lack of a better term, remedied through some recalls and design changes for subsequent years.

The 1700 exhaust system has the catalytic converters built into the mufflers. The cats are HOT themselves, and restrict exhaust flow which further retains heat.
I still didn't consider it a "must have" modification, but if budget allows it is a very strong "like to have" upgrade.

Best of Luck!
I would think having the cats in the mufflers would keep the heat away from you. The cat in my Harley pipes are right beside and slightly behind my right foot. I do feel the heat off that, especially in traffic. I don't want to get rid of it due to emissions testing required for motorcycles in the county I live in.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
The cat in my Harley pipes are right beside and slightly behind my right foot. I do feel the heat off that, especially in traffic.
I don't feel a thing on my bike.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #104

all I can say is, it helped with the heat issue. For whatever reason.

My new carbon-fiber body mufflers are cool as a cucumber. Yesterday was 90+ degrees, and I stopped for gas a little over 100 miles into the day. Knowing my system is experimental and custom, I still grabbed the belly of the muffler flat handed to check it was still mounted securely. That's the CF more than anything, but I'm lovin' it.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #105

Quote:
Is it true???
I have a buddy that has a 2009 Voyager and he is always saying how hot it is. I have a 2012 Voyager and it doesn't seem that hot to me. It's a little warmer than my 900LT was, but doesn't seem overly hot for the engine size. About the only time my fan kicks on is when I am in traffic.