Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

Braided Lines, Worth It?

Hi All,
I plan on changing out my brake and clutch fluid between now and spring. I'm wondering what opinions are on going to the braided lines over the OEM? I've no real problems with what I have now other than the rear brake line has been rubbed by my oil filter and that bugs me a bit.

If you've switched, what is a good place to get the lines? I've not seen anything that specifically states it is for the 1600 Nomad, but they do list the Classic. Would those take the same lines?

Thanks,
John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Braided Lines, Worth It?

They look a lot nicer and are far more durable. I would think the classic and Nomad would be interchangable.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #3

Braided Lines, Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty
Hi All,
I plan on changing out my brake and clutch fluid between now and spring. I'm wondering what opinions are on going to the braided lines over the OEM? I've no real problems with what I have now other than the rear brake line has been rubbed by my oil filter and that bugs me a bit.

If you've switched, what is a good place to get the lines? I've not seen anything that specifically states it is for the 1600 Nomad, but they do list the Classic. Would those take the same lines?

Thanks,
John
I've done it on my Shadow and the Nomad

http://home.insightbb.com/~kpmh.005/...-Headwinds.htm

but only because I put ape hangers on both bikes and needed longer cables. My personal opinion is that unless your installing higher bars and really want the look of SST cables, don't waste your money. Change the fluid regularly you'll be ok and with a fairing as you've got, it's not visible much anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete

Old 11-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #4

Braided Lines, Worth It?

My thoughts were the sames as Pete's. Why? If your not gonna be putting ape bars on your bike, there's really no need.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 11-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #5

Braided Lines, Worth It?

Thanks guys. No apes planned. Actually I might someday get some bars just a little narrower. At full lock, the off side is a little too far away for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #6

Braided Lines, Worth It?

So the big question is how did you like the apes on the nomad? Did it make for a more comfortable ride? Any pics of the Nomad with apes?

Rensselaer, Indiana

Old 11-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #7

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Braided Lines, Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
John
I've done it on my Shadow and the Nomad

http://home.insightbb.com/~kpmh.005/...-Headwinds.htm

but only because I put ape hangers on both bikes and needed longer cables. My personal opinion is that unless your installing higher bars and really want the look of SST cables, don't waste your money. Change the fluid regularly you'll be ok and with a fairing as you've got, it's not visible much anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Pete
Nice Pete

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 11-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #8

Braided Lines, Worth It?

John, I've replaced my clutch line, front and rear brake lines with the braided lines. They do have a lifetime guarantee (Kawi recommends periodical replacement of the lines), and all were listed for the 1600 classic. They all fit great. I did have to buy two different brands though (Goodridge, and Gafner), but the only difference in appearance is the crush washers, one type has silver, the other copper color, and the fittings appear a little different. But, not being located close to each other, no one notices. You will have to get used to how hard to apply the brakes too, because the hoses don't expand when you apply pressure, so more force goes to the caliper pistons. I like this up-grade, and yes I think it was worth it.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Braided Lines, Worth It?

Like the new sporty tan BD

Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #10

Braided Lines, Worth It?

Quote:
I've no real problems with what I have now other than the rear brake line has been rubbed by my oil filter and that bugs me a bit.
Careful if you were to change out the rear line for braided. Rubbing against the oil filter the steel braided line could put a hole in the oil filter unless protected.

Funny thing on my 08 I kept smelling plastic or rubber burning on long rides. Found the rear brake line was touching the oil filter and where it does there is an thin extra plastic covering about 5 inches long over the heavy rubber covering that protects the line. The plastic was melted through. I put a small piece of asbestos between the filter and the line, no more smell, and I'm sure the brake fluid in the line is staying a few degrees cooler.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #11

Braided Lines, Worth It?

Hey Norm I remember you mention that to me . I too did at one time smell the rubber from my bike. It did go away but I must check the back line:) Thanks for sharing :):) I would like to put braded lines on the front brake! Don't see the need for them on the back as there isn't alot of stopping power under emergency breaking with the back anyway. Just drag the wheel :):). The Front weel thats different!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Braided Lines, Worth It?

The reason I installed SS lines on my Hayabusa was for the performance...no hose expansion and better braking capabilities. It is well worth the expense if you are seeking better brake response. Change to high performance pads too. I suspect EBC makes them for the Nomad.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #13

Braided Lines, Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbs
So the big question is how did you like the apes on the nomad? Did it make for a more comfortable ride? Any pics of the Nomad with apes?
I love the apes. Cures the pain between the shoulders on long rides for me.

This guy did something along the lines I did.

http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/apehangers.htm

Pete