Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #16

I MISS THE 50'S AND 60'S,,ESPECIALLY THE 60'S....(70'S AND 80'S + ..NOT SO MUCH !)

Saw a guy with a 56 mercury Glass Top ..Black and White..with a picture of Pepe LePue` Painted on the rear quarter Panels...Continental Kit, and Skirts....COOL !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Ah the family truckster. Much nicer than the sport wagon.

My experience with wraps is not so good. We've had them on our work vans and they only seem to last a couple years before fading badly, chipping, flaking etc. At that point they're a real bitch to get off. I don't do the application or removal but have witnessed both processes. The last one they removed with a big ass'd blow torch and it came off in little flakes. Gouged the heck out of the paint with a scraper in the process. Even when heated it wasn't pliable.

This is in the Arizona sun and sitting outside 24-7 so that has to be taken into consideration.

Personally I wouldn't wrap or use vinyl graphics anything that I own here in Arizona. It just doesn't hold up.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 09-24-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #18
Advanced Member

There's no telling what material those wraps were made from danimal2, could have been the lowest grade, non UV laminated, and not formulated for easy removal, but in spite of constant improvements in the printers and materials I'd say all bets are off in Arizona, especially if a vehicle isn't garaged. I can't think of anything harsher on a thin film of plastic, even Florida's sun coupled with it's high humidity would be gentler than the arid southwest.

In the Northeast we are blessed? with ample overcast days and relatively cool temps which is a lot more forgiving for the technology. For the commercial vehicles I wrap with laminated digital prints I expect 5 years before noticeable fading. On a garaged vehicle that would go up exponentially.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
There's no telling what material those wraps were made from danimal2, could have been the lowest grade, non UV laminated, and not formulated for easy removal, but in spite of constant improvements in the printers and materials I'd say all bets are off in Arizona, especially if a vehicle isn't garaged. I can't think of anything harsher on a thin film of plastic, even Florida's sun coupled with it's high humidity would be gentler than the arid southwest.

In the Northeast we are blessed? with ample overcast days and relatively cool temps which is a lot more forgiving for the technology. For the commercial vehicles I wrap with laminated digital prints I expect 5 years before noticeable fading. On a garaged vehicle that would go up exponentially.
Hey mateseeing as you do that for a living, i am surprised that you never thought of chrome wrapping you're bike part's before now, ive seen various bit's done, and i could'nt tell it from the real thing

Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Hey mateseeing as you do that for a living, i am surprised that you never thought of chrome wrapping you're bike part's before now, ive seen various bit's done, and i could'nt tell it from the real thing
Well it's part of that ever-evolving technology I mentioned. Up till the last few years chrome vinyl was extremely non-conformable and as cheap looking as it was short lived. The wrap industry has spawned many improvements in material. I've been at this since before computers were used at all - the introduction of vinyl cutting plotters in the 80's was a revolution and outdoor-durable print tech has been struggling to become viable since maybe the mid 90's.
With the technology finally coming into it's own this business is getting exciting again!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #21

Id-Man - Did you start out as a sign painter? I always loved watching a good professional sign painter hand letter a sign. The brush control by a good sign painter was awesome to behold.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #22
Advanced Member

I started out as a self taught mural painter actually - an extension of some stoner dreams from back in the early 70s. Painting jungle scenes and psychedelic mushrooms on people's kitchens and bathroom walls lead to airbrushing fantasy art onto vans and bikes, and eventually to a stint as a 'journeyman' sign painter for a mid sized sign company in Clearwater Florida. By 1983 I had officially struck out and formed my own company still doing a mixture of commercial wall graphics, custom airbrushing, and commercial sign work. The commercial signs proved the most prolific and profitable if not the most exciting, so I stuck with it, but secretly do the occasional airbrush job just to keep my hand in it. I almost never letter with a brush anymore though, even though I still got the brushes I'm so rusty it takes a while to bet the strokes going again. Nowadays it's all about the computer.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #23

So, I've toyed with the idea of getting my bike wrapped... Since you seem to be in the biz, what do you think it would cost to wrap a Nomad?

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:

Although it's possible that the materials are sub-standard, we have hundreds of vans across the country and it's a mult-billion dollar company (no it's not my company). I would think that they could afford to buy good materials, but you never know. I think it can be attributed more to our relentless sun, dry +100 degree days, sand storms etc. Not sure how the non-desert vans are holding up. My van is on it's third year and the wrap pretty much shot already. It's also got more than 70,000 miles on it too so they see alot of use. It's slated for replacement sometime after the first of the year, so they cycle them pretty quick. Maybe that's why they use the wrap/vinyl process.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 09-25-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post
So, I've toyed with the idea of getting my bike wrapped... Since you seem to be in the biz, what do you think it would cost to wrap a Nomad?
Man that totally depends on who's doing it in your area (whether they have any competition to keep the prices in check), and whether they're any good. I would expect $500 at a minimum however it's not the kind of thing you should shop by price but reputation. Even if covering in a solid color there's plenty of ways a hack could screw it up (like cutting on your paint) but given that a wrap's true greatness lies in it's design possibilities, the importance of the artistic vision of the individual cannot be overstated. Like airbrush artists or pinstripers, those who are really good at it will command higher prices. Good luck and if you decide to go that path be sure to share.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #26

This has got me thinking- my light bar chrome is so badly flaked (I live and ride very near the ocean) that I sanded it and painted it black. I wonder if a chrome vinyl material could be applied to the light bar.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #27

If you search on Ebay the people who sell the 1080 usually have a small piece for a few bucks as a sample. You could give it a try and not be out too much. Love to see the results! Here is a car done in chrome 1080...

Last edited by BigRat; 09-25-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #28

America is behind on this? i dont believe that we got something that you bloke's want, and have not already bought (stole)

Old 09-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Man that totally depends on who's doing it in your area (whether they have any competition to keep the prices in check), and whether they're any good. I would expect $500 at a minimum however it's not the kind of thing you should shop by price but reputation. Even if covering in a solid color there's plenty of ways a hack could screw it up (like cutting on your paint) but given that a wrap's true greatness lies in it's design possibilities, the importance of the artistic vision of the individual cannot be overstated. Like airbrush artists or pinstripers, those who are really good at it will command higher prices. Good luck and if you decide to go that path be sure to share.

I was thinking somewhere between $600-$1000 to have it done. Thanks for the input.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Don't let Kris loose with this stuff!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005