Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Another Nomad Windshield Question

I have had my bike since April 1 09 and now have almost 6500 miles on it. I have never taken the windshield apart to clean it but was thinking about doing it. My question is, the bottom bolt on each side looks like a challenge. Any help on removing those. I can see that I could probably remove them but then there is the problem of getting the bottom two back in correctly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Gene

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

The bottom bolt on which, the windshield itself, or the brackets that mount it to the forks? Not sure what you're worrying about. Just remove them.

Are you trying to disassemble the windshield with it mounted on the bike or something?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

I am not much help here, but be aware there is 2 different length bolts between the 2 screens, or there was on 1500's anyway.

These bolts often strip at the threads and the allens, due to being overtight in the first place. great care should be used to remove the bolts clean.

Antiseize should go on the threads when you re-install.

When I did the 1500, I pulled the bolts from the forks and yanked the whole screen, laying it on a blanket covered bench.

With 2 bolts out, clean them and put them back in just snug, so when the rest of the bolts are getting removed the 2 screens don't get to slide around on one another!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Advanced Member

If you haven't removed it yet, look at Gadget's site for making quick release knobs and brackets.

Can get the windshield on/off in seconds.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Take the windshield off and lay it on a blanket in the house and dis-assemble it and clean it. then put it back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

CJ, what I was hoping to do was disassemble the windshield with out removing the brackets. There are 10 bolts and acorn nuts that hold the windshield together. Six bolts go across the windshield and then four down each bracket. The very two bottom bolts, one on each side, and pretty much touch the chrome behind the windshield. My question was how do you get those bottom bolts out.

Seems Doc has the best solution. Just take the darn windshield off and then disassemble it. I really didn't want to have to take it all off but looks like I will have to do that.

Mac, I will try and be careful so I don't stip those darn bolts.

Anyway thanks for the help offered and I may just check out Gadgets idea for a quick release of the windshield.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #7

Gene, it is not that hard to take the windshield off the bike.
It is much, much easier to take apart and clean when it is off the bike.
Doc is right, do it that way and save yourself a big hassle.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

There is a good chance the threads are buggered right now, before you touch any of the bolts.

This makes it much more dicey. You need really good allen tools and maybe a hard little rag of cloth like canvass to take up slack. Try holding the allens steady and turning the 10mm nuts, over trying to turn the bolt first.

Maybe after anti seize is on this hardware you could cheat the screen off, but not NOW!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #9

I managed to remove the shield without taking it off the bike. Truth is, it is more trouble than it is worth. The irony is I take the shield off the brackets multiple times a season, and it only takes about 3 minutes. I actually remove the entire set of brackets and then put the short windshield bracket bolts directly into the forks to hold the chrome fork covers. I only run with the shield for long tripsm and when the weather is close to freezing (or below) like it has been this week.

Bruce.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I am not much help here, but be aware there is 2 different length bolts between the 2 screens, or there was on 1500's anyway.

These bolts often strip at the threads and the allens, due to being overtight in the first place. great care should be used to remove the bolts clean.

When I did the 1500, I pulled the bolts from the forks and yanked the whole screen, laying it on a blanket covered bench.

With 2 bolts out, clean them and put them back in just snug, so when the rest of the bolts are getting removed the 2 screens don't get to slide around on one another!

The 1600's are the same with the different length bolts. I had a couple seize the first time I took the windshield off and had to cut them off. Got new ones from the dealer. Seems to be a common problem right from the factory. Use antiseize when reassembling especially on the four bracket bolts and torque to spec (61 in-lb). Ace Hardware has the SST bolts if you need new ones though the heads are smaller. They also have chrome ones but they're pricey.

Pete

Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to dabull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac

The 1600's are the same with the different length bolts. I had a couple seize the first time I took the windshield off and had to cut them off. Got new ones from the dealer. Seems to be a common problem right from the factory. Use antiseize when reassembling especially on the four bracket bolts and torque to spec (61 in-lb). Ace Hardware has the SST bolts if you need new ones though the heads are smaller. They also have chrome ones but they're pricey.

Pete
Pete...Ace Hardware carrys these and in chrome?? if i wanted to replace, what size would i need??