Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #1

What do you think of the new 1700 Nomad?

I went in to my local dealer to have some work done. While I had some time to kill, I went in to the showroom and checked out the 2009 Nomad 1700 in Black on the showroom floor. First impressions while sitting on it is they have moved up the seating position which I hate. The top loading hard baggers are not very pleasing to the eye, in fact they're quit ugly in my opinion. Final drive now is a carbon fiber belt, I like shaft drive. I would like to hear from anyone who might have any other observations or comments for or against the new Nomads. As for me, I'm going to the Kawasaki.com comment section and voice my displeasure with what they have done to my Nomad. Thanks, Mark :-[

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlrusch
I went in to my local dealer to have some work done. While I had some time to kill, I went in to the showroom and checked out the 2009 Nomad 1700 in Black on the showroom floor. First impressions while sitting on it is they have moved up the seating position which I hate. The top loading hard baggers are not very pleasing to the eye, in fact they're quit ugly in my opinion. Final drive now is a carbon fiber belt, I like shaft drive. I would like to hear from anyone who might have any other observations or comments for or against the new Nomads. As for me, I'm going to the Kawasaki.com comment section and voice my displeasure with what they have done to my Nomad. Thanks, Mark :-[
The 1700 Nomads have been out over a year. I rode one last spring and the 6 speed transmission is nice, as is the factory cruise control. The exhaust sound is great, much more "rumble" than previous years.

The seating position and bar reach is more compact than the previous versions. It reminded me of riding my buddy's Road Glide. I really wish they hadn't changed the saddlebags so much. The way they are mounted, they look like aftermarket add-ons. Underneath, I think it's a good bike, but why did Kaw feel the need to mess with perfection?

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Advanced Member

It seems like the change of a time-tested design is often met with resistance or reluctance by some. I still think of Buick's Park Avenue or Cadillac's Fleetwood Brougham d'elegance as the flagships of their lineup- hell, they don't even make those models anymore! So it takes me awhile to catch up to the 'latest' things, sometimes.

Having never ridden one, I can only offer an uneducated opinion. One thing that I noticed about the saddlebags, and this is just my opinion; they look very similar to the hard bags offered on some of Yamaha's V-Twin cruisers, particularly when you look at the bags from the rear. I was a little disappointed in this, as the 'old' body-style Nomads had a saddlebag design that was unmistakable.

What I'm wondering is the Voyager a worthy touring machine?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

I didn't trest drive it because I didn't like sitting on it. The seat padding running up the tank makes no sense to me. Bike feels cramped. Motor and transmission get good reviews for being smooth, although some reviews cite a lack of power for a 1700, but I figure over all it is like buying shoes: If a pair doesn't feel right when I put them on, I don't buy them and hope they get better with use. Didn't like the feel sitting on it, so I didn't go any farther in testing it. And the look of the bags, lines of the bike just don't grab you the way the 1500 and 1600's do. I wanted better weather protection and ABS, so I had planned on gong with a Voyager when Kawasaki announced the new bikes. Kawasaki dropped the ball. Should have built arond the existing lines of the Nomad then added more power and slightly better mpg, which some other makers manage, and a 6.5 gallon tank to increase range. I ended up switching to Honda. I was hoping they would drop a detuned C14 motor into the Nomad style frame for the Voyager. Guess in the end they did me a favor; I'm happy with the new bike, but I sure was disappointed when I finally saw the new Nomad and Voyager and realized the next bike would not be a Kawasaki.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #5

On more than one occasion I too have looked closely at the 2009 Nomad and Voyager while killing time and chewing the fat at my local dealer.
I do like the look of the Voyager except the bags on the Voyager / 2009 Nomad bug me at certain angles, as does the front of the seat.
The look of the engine is also nice and the sound is nicer than before (a little throatier). The cruise is nice as is the 6 speed tranny and gear indicator
There are however a couple of things I have noticed and dislike about the 2009 Nomad I looked at vs the 2008 I have.
The shift lever is a stamped one piece on the 2009 rather than a cast 2 piece lever.
The chrome sheet metal attached at the top of the forks and behind the windshield is no longer on the 2009.
Nor is there a Vulcan badge in the back of the passenger back rest.
Yes I know for some it is just one less badge to remove , but to me it looks bare with out it.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #6

With the simi large following and good reviews that the 1600 has gotten, why didn't Kawi just increase the displacement? Power seems to be the only bed thing people have to say about the 1600 Nomads.

I've had chain, belt and shaft. I don't know how much power is lost with the shaft, but if going to belt helps increase the power distribution, than I'd be will to make the change, The belt can require a little bit more work when mounting the rear tire, but once you have it on and the belt tension correct, it is as maintenance free and the shaft.

Cruise control, obviously nice. 6th gear, although unnecessary, it too would be nice for the 85mph+ rides.

Seating position, I'm 5'9" and although I did notice the closeness, I think I could easily adjust.

The big kicker for me is the saddlebags. They do look like a cheap after market set. Actually they feel like a cheap after market set. They feel flimsy, 1/3 of the bags is the lid, and they are mounted too far away from the fender. To get full capacity out of them, you would have to pack the lid and carefully close it. The 1500/1600 Nomad bags are what really set them apart. Why ruin a good thing?

I was also disappointed that they pulled chrome off in several places and added a lot of plastic. I imagine it's just a gimmick to make money on after market pieces that cost $.50 but they sell for $50

All and all, I think it's a good bike, in a world of many great bikes. Not too sure if I'd own one, especially at the listed price.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #7

One thing for certain is that any time you sit on another bike... it will immediately feel different -- and maybe you'll even think it isn't as comfortable.

It has been my experience that if you were to ride the "other" bike you sat on for a period of time (several hundred miles) that you would eventually get used to it; and if you were at that point to sit on your "old" bike -- I would make the bet that you'll find that IT all of a sudden feels "different".

Just my two cents...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #8

Extremely subjective question, to be sure! :)
I know many have purchased the 09 Nomad and love it. Great! Although I intend to ride my 99 for many, many years, if I was in the market for a new scoot, I would probably decline the new Nomad. I love the idea of Cruise control and a six speed tranny, but some of the changes they made aesthetically just don't work for me. I'm also of the opinion that the old Nomad saddle bags are the signature mark of a one of kind machine and look great. The new ones look too much like Yamaha bags, which is not a bad look, but I don't think look as nice as the old style. Again, all subjective. I, too, am disappointed in the lack of chrome and the addition of plastic pieces, especially the rear brake reservoir. In some ways, it seems that Kawasaki listened to what current and past Nomad riders wanted to see in a new bike, but then changed some of the things that really made the Nomad stand out. If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is! Just my 2 cents. Not saying I wouldn't own one, but I would probably look elsewhere first.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

I take it 5th and 6th are over drives?? 4th and 5th are on both 1500 and 1600.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #10

read this review.........
http://motorcycleviews.com/userreviews/rev064.htm

Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #11

Yes you are correct, man.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Top Contributor

For the life of me I don't know why Kawi just didn't add a larger power plant to the 2008 platform. An 1800 or V2K Nomad would be all the rage! Without question, the old bags were the best looking in the industry and very functional. What a shame Kawi f*cked that up... :-[.

I find the Voyager uncomfortable, but I probably could live with the new Nomad if I had to, although it is more compact for sure. I would still add risers and a tour pack, but I don't care for whatever they did to the floorboards....an effort to reduce vibration I think, but they seem much less solid to me than before. The 6-speed trans is a plus....as is the CC. Curiously, I do kind of like the windscreen on the new Nomad, but all the plastic is a turn-off.

I'm not knowledgable enough to make the shaft vs belt argument in any intelligent manner, but I do know the previous Nomads were the only touring class V-Twins to offer FI, liquid cooling and shaft drive. I could have purchased any bike I wanted, and those three things are what ultimately sold me on the Nomad!

We'll see. I think right now if I had to make a choice, I would try to find a low miles used '07 or '08. Thank heavens I don't have to think about that for a few more years!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #13

Saw it and didn't like it. Many of the same things as others have mentioned are draw backs to me. The bags are not for me; don't care that the passenger can open them while seated. The trim on the rear brake res is bad. The appearance of the seat climbing up the tank is bad. The neck and head set are unappealing. The shifting linkage is exposed; bad to me. Just to many bads for me to overcome. Other products on the market are more appealing to me.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #14

One the most telling things about teh 1700's is right here on this forum. By the time the second model year of the C14 was out the most vibrant section of the Concours Owners Group's forum was the area dedicated to the new bike, with excited transition of people from the old version to the new. Clearly not the case here or at the Voyager Association site.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #15

Bought one in March of 09. I really like the bike. After everytrip it just kept getting better and better. Its a fairly big departure from the 08 for sure, but it is its own bike. Like most bikes, if it fits you and you like it great. If not, youll probably ride something else.