Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

07 nomad to 2018 voyager

I'm riding a 2007 1600 nomad now and have been for 10 years and i was thinking about buying a 2018 voyager in the spring but the dealers around here do not allow test rides. This is my question, the shock system according to the specs look a lot like what I'm riding now and i really don't like the way this big handles at all so is the voyager just a souped up nomad?
I rented an Indian roadmaster last week and put over 900 miles on it and the ride, handling and throttle response was so much superior to my 10 year old nomad that i just have to get another better riding bike. If your wondering why not the Indian, that bike will cook you it is HOT.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Why not just upgrade the suspension on your Nomad ?

Old 09-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

Not a Souped up 07 Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike58 View Post
I'm riding a 2007 1600 nomad now and have been for 10 years and i was thinking about buying a 2018 voyager in the spring but the dealers around here do not allow test rides. This is my question, the shock system according to the specs look a lot like what I'm riding now and i really don't like the way this big handles at all so is the voyager just a souped up nomad?
I rented an Indian roadmaster last week and put over 900 miles on it and the ride, handling and throttle response was so much superior to my 10 year old nomad that i just have to get another better riding bike. If your wondering why not the Indian, that bike will cook you it is HOT.
Where to start - The Voyager is a Frame mounted Fairing with a heftier front suspension than on he 07 Nomad. The Voyager has Throttle by wire, 07 Nomad manual Cables. Voyager has Gear indicator, Cruise Control, Trunk, Radio - the 97 Nomad Not so much. The 2018 Voyager will have a 3 year warranty and belt drive.

From a 2007 Nomad here are other things the Voyager won't do. Use Oil, Ping
Things you probably won't like at first - HEAT - the Stock Voyagers are Hot. Even with the KAMS Air Management system. (there is a fix)
The Voyager has TOP OPENING saddlebags - Very few older Nomad riders like the new bags. They just don't Look Kawasaki!! I've had them both - I like the new top opening bags, they don't leak and flex when you overfill them. They hold more. Things don't fall out when you open them.

The Voyager has ABS and K-ACT brakes - That's Antilock and Linked brakes - Your 97 Nomad can't do that.

You don't need Pipes, air kit and Power commander to give it more power. For the 1700's you can get an upgrade done called The IVAN Re-flash, which a guy named Ivan has figured out how to retune the ECU to improve power, Improve MPG and reduce the heat.

Should you get an 18 Voyager, do not assume that every mod that you did on your Nomad is needed on a Voyager before you ride it. It is a different bike. Once you have ridden it it will tell you what you need. Many do Pipes, Air Kit, Ivan Flash, Heated Grips, Risers, Stereo upgrades, Amps, Luggage Racks - You know it's a motorcycle - there is Bling.

I know that's a lot - I've got about 100,000 miles on Voyagers keep jacking them up and pulling new ones under all my accessories that I've purchased. Great Bike, You can buy 2 for the price of a Spyder or an Indian.

Hope that helps - Read a lot of different forums - Lot of good info out there.

Oh - I drove an 07 Nomad prior to my Voyagers

Mike

Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

Mike: great and very accurate description on the voyager. Looks like from pics i saw 18's are unchanged other than color. Gary

2016 Silver/Black Voyager 1700
2009 Black Vulcan Classic 900
1980 Black Honda CB 750K
1977 Maroon Yamaha XS 650
1975 Red Honda 360
1973 Blue Honda 175 Scrambler
1970 Black Sears 250 Road Bike
1967 Black Honda S-90
1966 Red Honda S-90 (still in shed)

Old 09-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Advanced Member

I haven't ridden a Voyager yet but I am thinking that will be my next bike in a couple years. I can tell you one thing after putting a hundred or so miles on a Roadmaster MaKaw better have her $hi+ together to keep up with the torque that thing makes. It has an awesome drivetrain but I can't see myself spending double what a Voyager costs.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #6

Thanks Mike it's good to know you had an 07 nomad before the voyager so your the person to ask this...was the ride as far as the handling of rough roads a whole lot better? I'm looking for a vast improvement in the ride, highway driving, slow cornering etc over the nomad and i know that's something i have to find out for myself when i ride one I'm hoping for input from others that made the switch from an older nomad to a newer voyager. I really want this to work out because as alwhite00 said the other options are very expensive. I was not aware that the voyager is HOT i have no problems with heat on the nomad and assumed the same with the voyager so that's something I'll need to find out for sure because that's the big problem with the Indian and i guess the Harley's before the new M8 this year.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:54 AM   #7

Hotter than the 07 Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike58 View Post
Thanks Mike it's good to know you had an 07 nomad before the voyager so your the person to ask this...was the ride as far as the handling of rough roads a whole lot better? I'm looking for a vast improvement in the ride, highway driving, slow cornering etc over the nomad and i know that's something i have to find out for myself when i ride one I'm hoping for input from others that made the switch from an older nomad to a newer voyager. I really want this to work out because as alwhite00 said the other options are very expensive. I was not aware that the voyager is HOT i have no problems with heat on the nomad and assumed the same with the voyager so that's something I'll need to find out for sure because that's the big problem with the Indian and i guess the Harley's before the new M8 this year.
Let's talk Heat a moment.

While the 1700 Voyager is Hotter to ride than the 1600 Nomad it IS NOT intolerable Heat. (I rode my 2009 across the west Texas desert and survived). Kawasaki did make improvements by adding the KAMS system which changes the Air Flow from the front fan. It forces the air down and out instead of across the engine onto the rider. The KAMS also added the rear exhaust fan. This sucks hot air off from the right rear header pipe and routes it out under the left passenger floor board. Next you can add the IVAN Re-Flash where one of the things he does is turn the Fan's on sooner. This cools things down sooner than after it gets super heated. On my 07 Nomad the fan would only come on if I was sitting in stop and go traffic on a hot day. The fan on a Voyager runs a lot in comparison.
I will say that the Indian does have a Lot of Torque and was a dream to ride, each of us has to decide which bike is best for themselves.

One thing you may have an issue with - the Voyager is a lot heavier and taller than the Nomad. If Flat Footing a motorcycle is a must have for you - then that is where the 07 Nomad or the Indian will win out. I'm 6' with 32 inseam and tiptoe my Voyager on one foot flat on the other. (Now I do have a Daylong Seat which raises me 1 inch).

Speaking of heavy, but you get used to it. Rough Roads, Highway, Slow speed corners. When you hit a pot hole with 900+ pounds of bike and 280 pounds of me, well you feel it. It does not bottom out.

Once you get used to it, I probably drag the floorboards more on my Voyager than I ever did my Nomad. (More experienced now)

Hope this helps - I'm off on a 9 day ride. Good luck on your decision. I would think if you searched hard enough you could find someplace to test ride a Voyager. Even if it's a used one.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #8
Top Contributor

I never felt the heat coming off my 05 Nomad but I did a couple of times on my 2010 Voyager, and that was only on very hot days stuck in traffic. My 2010 model was before Kawasaki installed the KAMS units on the later models. The stock forks on the Voyager are better than they were on my Nomad. Slow speed handling on the Voyager was better than the Nomad. The added wind protection on the Voyager is nice for long days on the road. Highway speeds are very comfortable.

Your best bet is to try and find someone who will let you ride a Voyager before you shell out the money to buy one.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
Advanced Member

The Voyager will have a more compact rider accommodations than the '07 nomad. The handling is much improved. There are very few bikes made that don't need suspension and seat upgrades. I was fine with the rear shocks, but I had the front suspension rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

All touring bikes with lowers are going to be hot when riding in the summer or slow. The fairing and lowers trap the heat.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Back in 2010 I told my local dealer no test ride no sale.

I had just test rode a road glide and a goldwing. He decided to make one of his voyagers a demo bike and that year he sold more voyagers than any other dealer in the southeast.
After that Kawasaki was aggressively marketing their bikes and had the demo trucks out. They don't seem to be doing much marketing now. Back then they outsold all the other Japanese brands.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad