Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

My Harley one week later

Its been a week now and I can say that I don't miss the Voyager. I rode a Softail at the Harley demo during Americade and liked how it reminded me of my old Nomad. The Harley dealer had a great deal on a 2011 Heritage Softail I couldn't refuse. After one week I have learned that the aftermarket for these things is mind blowing. If you don't lock the saddle bag latch it WILL fall off on the interstate. I learned that I'm too fat and out of shape to jog the 500 feet back up the interstate to retrieve said saddle bag. It took me a few seconds to realize what that sound was and pull over. I learned that no one keeps their stock exhaust system. The Vance & Hines Big shots are a touch loud at 5:30 in the morning. I learned that the V&H quiet baffles are a waste of $80 as the bike blew all that packing fiber crap out. All the neighbor kids love the Harley. They all give me the thumbs up when I ride by. All in all it a fun ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #2

My Voyager 18 months later......no Harley after 1 nomad and 2 Voyagers.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by george james View Post
My Voyager 18 months later......no Harley after 1 nomad and 2 Voyagers.
I'll get another Nomad down the road sometime.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

I looked at Harleys when looking for a cruiser. LOVE the Nomad I ended up with. I just cannot justify the expense for a Harley. I love american made but not the american greed that comes with the price tag. I have ridden a lot of harleys and don't feel them worth the extra 15k when I chose between the nomad and harley. Definitely happy with my choice after 6k miles so far this season.

That and Harley seems too much like a cult following. Why does EVERY LITTLE SPECK OF EVERYTHING THEY EVERY BUY HAVE to say Harley on it. I would shoot a mutha for fukin with my bike, but I don't need everything i put on it or buy for it to be stamped kawi, nor does my closet look like a rack at the harley shop….

I do like the bikes though. Riding a friends wide glide was what convinced me to turn on my sport bike and start looking for a cruiser

Old 07-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNYBikers View Post
I looked at Harleys when looking for a cruiser. LOVE the Nomad I ended up with. I just cannot justify the expense for a Harley. I love american made but not the american greed that comes with the price tag. I have ridden a lot of harleys and don't feel them worth the extra 15k when I chose between the nomad and harley. Definitely happy with my choice after 6k miles so far this season.

That and Harley seems too much like a cult following. Why does EVERY LITTLE SPECK OF EVERYTHING THEY EVERY BUY HAVE to say Harley on it. I would shoot a mutha for fukin with my bike, but I don't need everything i put on it or buy for it to be stamped kawi, nor does my closet look like a rack at the harley shop….

I do like the bikes though. Riding a friends wide glide was what convinced me to turn on my sport bike and start looking for a cruiser
Your 1600 is an awesome bike. I thought the Voyager be be even more of an awesome bike. I think it might of had a problem with the front end. The loan officer from the credit union showed me a CarFax report for a minor accident. I was told it was all dealer fixed but there was noticeable handling problems. When Mcdermotts called me with a very nice deal I jumped at the chance. If I ever get the chance to grab another 1600 Nomad I will do it in a heartbeat (well that is if I have the funds at the time.) I chose the Heritage Softail due to the fact that it reminded me of the 1600 Nomad. You cant beat that red/black paint job on that model either. I don't plan on getting all tacky with all the Harley crap ( boots,socks, cups, stickers, colostomy bags or Harley's under water basket weaving kit). I don't have one Harley shirt in my closet....yet ( gotta buy at least one) I have 3 Max BMW shirts 1 Doctor Who and 12 G.F. DPW shirts. I have so many D.O.T. yellow shirts in my closet I'm blinded when I open the door. I'm not an insta-biker nor do I plan on buying into the "baditude" associated with Harley. I can't be brand loyal because I want them all. Why should Jay Leno have them all?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #6

That sucks about the front end issues. I definitely like the black/red, although I saw a 900 vulcan at sport line with the white/flat black that I LOVED!

Don't get me wrong, supporting your brand is totally cool. I have nothing against those that are harley branded to the hilt, just thought it odd how common it was to brand everything. I did buy a harley shirt at the iron horse at daytona beach, fl that I thought was too badass to pass up. unfortunately it found death during a day in the shop a while back. guess that means Ill have to head back to florida this spring. .. darn

Oh and The Nomad has gotten a facelift!

Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #7

Whoa, Check out that bat wing faring! That's what I was going to eventually do to it. I might get one for the Softail. I do need a taller shield. The stock one is way too short. I just take it off because I can't stand the buffeting. Glad you're enjoying it.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPusher View Post
Whoa, Check out that bat wing faring! That's what I was going to eventually do to it. I might get one for the Softail. I do need a taller shield. The stock one is way too short. I just take it off because I can't stand the buffeting. Glad you're enjoying it.
Should have bought a Street Glide if you wanted a fairing.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNYBikers View Post

You can buy a motorcycle jacket without a Harley logo, or you can go to a Harley dealer and buy a jacket with a Harley logo, it's a choice. If you ride a Harley nobody forces you to buy Harley brand clothing.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Should have bought a Street Glide if you wanted a fairing.
I like being able to remove the shield when I want to run without one. I also got an awesome deal on the Softail. They are asking almost new price for used Street Glides. They had a 13 in that Sunset orange for $20,000. Another dealer had an 09 for $17,000.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
If you ride a Harley nobody forces you to buy Harley brand clothing.

That's so true. I've got one HD t-shirt that my brother sent me and one HD shirt that I bought some place.

No matter what people's opinion are of HD, you have to give their marketing department an A+. Going from an almost bankrupted company to what they are now,(with Reagan's help), is amazing.

Another thing they get right is their dealer customer service. Can't bet them.

Last edited by Dave; 07-19-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
That's so true. I've got one HD t-sheet that my brother sent me and one HD shirt that I bought some place.
Wow you have a sheet on your bed with a Harley logo
That is taking it a bit to far
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPusher View Post
You wouldn't want to put an HD faring on a Softail. I saw one once, and only once. It was WAY TOO BIG for the bike and looked extremely odd. Front heavy and very odd. Not a good look at all.

Everyone looking at the bike when the owner was not there was saying the same thing. Just think about the proportions of your bike to the fairing. Take measurements and you'll see what I mean.

JMO.

PS: You can own Harleys without joining a cult or living under mandatory requirements to wear HD clothing. That is a huge myth that apparently will not go away... just like oil-leaks.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Wow you have a sheet on your bed with a Harley logo
That is taking it a bit to far
Too early in the morning for me posting.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Y That is a huge myth that apparently will not go away... just like oil-leaks.
I'd not bet on that one.