Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #1

Gasoline Prices

Well what do you "girls" think of the price of gas now ? I predict over $ 4.00 per by June 1. We are seriously considering parking my wife's Caravan, letting her use my Prius, and I'll take "Neauxmad" ( Cajun version of Nomad )to work . Yeah, yeah. I know. It's a terrific sacrifice I am making, but I'm willing to do it to help the team ;). Any of you changing lifestyles ? Considering riding the Nad to work if you don't already ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #2

Gasoline Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
Well what do you "girls" think of the price of gas now ? I predict over $ 4.00 per by June 1. We are seriously considering parking my wife's Caravan, letting her use my Prius, and I'll take "Neauxmad" ( Cajun version of Nomad )to work . Yeah, yeah. I know. It's a terrific sacrifice I am making, but I'm willing to do it to help the team ;). Any of you changing lifestyles ? Considering riding the Nad to work if you don't already ?
Been riding my smaller Vulcan to work as much as I can for a couple years now, sometimes take the Nomad when I want to treat myself, otherwise, just makes good sense, a few hassles with the weather, I don't head out into the worst but always prepared to get home, haven't had to call for a ride to come get me yet.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #3

Gasoline Prices

Now that it is warming up I only drive the truck when absolutely necessary.
I am disgusted by the prices right now...and the ones to come. :-/

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #4

Gasoline Prices

I use the bike as much as possible,and this year the long winter here cut me short compared to other seasons.I can run to work and back on $7.00 a day compared to $22.00 in the truck.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Gasoline Prices

I have a 2003 Grand Am and a 1991 Bronco in addition to my Nomad (of course, my wife has her own car, too). My son doesn't have a car right now, so he and I alternate weeks. one week I let him use the Bronco, the next week I let him use the car. I started doing this to lessen the sting of him having to fill up the 10 MPG Bronco week in and week out.

On the weeks I have the Bronco, I take the bike instead, and only drive the Bronco if I have to haul something or pick my other son up. I am fortunate to work in a field that lends itself to telecommuting from home on Wednesdays, so that only leaves 4 days I have to drive/ride a week. I'm trying to talk my boss into letting me work from home 2x a week, and may push harder if gas really gets ugly. I have a 17-mile one-way commute, which takes about 30 minutes each way on surface streets at an average of 45 mph. I could take freeway about half that distance, but traffic is usually too slow in a couple of areas.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Gasoline Prices

Last Friday I paid $4.06 for gas. Diesel is $4.45 gal here in Sacramento at the CHEAP stations & $4.75 at Chevron. The wife and I decided to park the 10 mpg diesel pickup so she could drive the 35mpg KIA Rio & I HAVE to ride the bike to work when the weather permits.

We also canceled our Lake Shasta vacation this year. This involves making two trips to Shasta (400 miles each round trip) to get all of the toys (1 jet ski boat & 2 jet skis), & 5th wheel trailer there for a two week vacation. Then I reverse the process to get everything home.

This year for a vacation we're going to Mesquite Nevada, Zion National Park & then on to Mt. Rushmore. -Rich

Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Gasoline Prices

MY mini van (18 mpg ) sits at home during the week.My truck ( 20 mpg ) is my daily driver unless the kid needs it. The wifes liberty (18 mpg ) we both have a 26 mile round trip to work. I used the bike 2 days last week and I see myself using it more for work. reg. is 3.54......... yesterday.
Instead of using the van to pull the boat to up-state new york for a week we are just going on the bike for 2 days.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Gasoline Prices

The gas here in Florida is about 3.45 right now. I take the Nomad everyday on my 100 mile round trip to work. I have a corolla and a Chevy Equinox, but the Nomad still gets better mileage than both of them. Yeah poor me, I have to ride the bike everday. The only time I drive the corolla to work is when the weather is just too crazy.
KawaNOW #00454
IBA# 42214

2007 Nomad
2008 Concours

Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Gasoline Prices

I only have a 5 mile drive to work. However, it requires the use of a truck most of the time so it has to go. The wife on the other hand has a 25 mile drive to work. We bought a 400 cc scooter last fall and she will start driving that to work soon.

Gas here is $3.49. I generally carry a couple of 5 gallon cans in the truck and stop when I see a good deal since I drive the work vehicle about 2000 miles a month. Prices jump faster than you can shake a stick at it.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #10

Gasoline Prices

What's this "predict" stuff?

I paid $4.08 for Shell premium last Thursday. That was self-serv too. 91 octane. Full serve 91 was over $4.50 a gal.

My wife drives a Camry V-6 which gets almost 28 MPG. Not bad for a 185 HP car. She's going through $50 in gas a week just commuting to work about 25 miles.

I, of course, ride the Nomad to work every day it ain't pouring rain (and since I essentially live in the desert that's just about every day.) My gas bill is about $18 a week. It would be twice that if I drove my Bonneville sedan and 3x if I drove the Caprice Classic. I don't. They sit around gathering rust while I ride the bike.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #11

Gasoline Prices

Don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but Fox news said it looks like $5.00 a gallon by the end of the year. Might have to buy a horse to go to Walmart.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #12

Gasoline Prices

Nothings changed for me.

When I bought my first Nomad, gas was about $1.00 a gallon. It cost less than $5.00 to fill up the tank.

My truck got 17mpg, and the Nomad 34mpg. I didn't save a dime riding the bike because I always went twice as far when I was on the bike. I had a 30 mile round trip to work, but when I took the bike I always went more than 60 miles. No savings at all.

Now I have a Lexus SC with a V8 that gets about 22mpg. I've only ridden the bike once to work this spring and I had an hour with no clients, so you guessed it, I went for an hour long ride. No savings.

I guess it's nice at these prices that I have one of the Nomads that will run on 85 octane without pinging. At least I get to put the cheaper stuff in.

There are bikes out there that get near 60mpg, wish I didn't know any better and could enjoy one of them. :)

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Gasoline Prices

I cut back long ago.. I must plow snow, but the truck stays here. When it goes out for gas it goes to the dump on the way. I spend time pulling out steel, and wood others leave there, that suits my other projects, so there is a load no matter what.

I bought a van on my trip to have a rolling bed room, and with that a large enough enclosed trailer to house the nomad and it's trailer, plus gear. That 3/4 ton conversion van is older but rust free, which in NH is remarkable. best deal I ever got in recent times too, as that van only had 15, 500 miles on it. It has 26,000 now. It has been on a charger all winter, and won't be going anywhere soon.

My car is a 85 Volvo wagon with a turbo, but it can get mid 20's in MPG's if the turbo isn't getting much use.

We stay here in the woods and earn what we earn right here. My wife goes out maybe once a week.

I get paid a little to drive to deliver parts . The truck I use isn't mine, and the fuel in it isn't mine. I am allowed to stop to get things we need, and the use of that Tacoma any time i want, so long as it means more food in the house. It goes about 110 miles on 5.5 gallons as best as I can figure.

My Nomad is going to be this seasons shopper, and I am planning to make or buy a trailer hitch, as my bike trailer wasn't stolen with the 01.

I think we might see regular at $6.00 by December.

I think we might see food rationing by late Fall, which means what you buy won't be based on how much money you have.

ALL grains will cost more, because it simply costs more for farmers to grow it, since they need fuel and power. Your past "Buying History" will be taken into effect very soon.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Gasoline Prices

It would be cheaper in the long run. Not only do I ride, like CQ, every day it's not pouring rain, but I've also slowed down and don't drive as fast which prolongs the tank of gas somewhat.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Gasoline Prices

and the end of time as we know it is near. Let the Rapture begin...............Amen........

On a less cynical note. It cracks me up to still see the very young interviewed on TV when they are at the gas pumps commenting about the price of gas and they just say, "but I like to drive, whatya gonna do?"

How about drive less you worthless idiots?? The ripple affect of cutting back at least 10% would be devastating. but........people are stupid.

I know what ever increase cost in fuel I'll have to spend to go to Mesquite will be taken off the stuff I buy there. If it cost more to go then I'll spend less while I'm there. I practice consumerism religiously..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005