Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #1

Traffic Signal Triggering

I know this may be way out there, but there are people that don't know how to trigger the light. Not sure if it works the same way all over the world, but in the US it does. It is kind of funny to see people pull up to the light and do the little trigger dance, trying to shift there weight to trigger the light. Here is a little trick, and a small fact about traffic signals. Traffic signals are triggered by a very large metal detector. Yes, buried in the concrete, tar, dirt, is a wire that usually creates a large rectangle and senses the metal, not weight of a vehicle. The best way to trigger the light is to place your motorcycle over the upper left or right side of that rectangle. Place your rear tire on the line, and put your engine over the corner and if you are on a Nomad, (smaller bikes have less metal) you will trigger the light. In some cases there is a line also down the middle of the rectangle, you can trigger it there as well but remember that at a stop light, that is where most of the oil and grease from cars stopped there collects. I hope this little tidbit helps.
Don

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #2

Thanks Don, I'll keep this in mind for a couple of stubborn lights over here.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #3

I'll have to try that.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #4

Have to give that a whirl. There are a couple around here that won't change at all if a bike is the only one in that lane. Can be very frustrating.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie cruiser
Have to give that a whirl. There are a couple around here that won't change at all if a bike is the only one in that lane. Can be very frustrating.
Especially when it's 105 degrees. :(" title="" border="0"/>

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Advanced Member

I am going crazy in wa they are circular AND i CANT FIND THE CORNER

Old 07-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneseven
I am going crazy in wa they are circular AND i CANT FIND THE CORNER
Thats funny. They still work on the same principal, put the spot on the bike that has te most metal and is closest to the ground over the wire and it should trigger no problem.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Advanced Member

I haven't tried it, but I've also heard that if you mount a small powerful magnet under your bike somewhere, it will help as well.

Don Denman "JD"
2001 Luminous Vintage Red carbed 1500 Nomad
VBA #376
VROC #6195

Old 07-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Nice post Don. I was told that in my ABATE class several years ago but sometimes I still forget to look for the line.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #10

I just recently read that reving the engine increases the magnetic signature and may trigger the light.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #11

I put a powerful magnet on the underside of the oil filter. As stated above, it may help triggering lights and it should trap metal particles.

Another trick I heard and have used successfully on hard to trigger sensors is to stop on the lines as Don instructed, hit the kill switch and restart the engine. The magnetic field generated by the starter motor is supposed to help trigger the sensor. Just make sure you don't have someone coming up on you (see the squished MC thread) and the light is not going to go green immediately.

Leo

Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn1600
I put a powerful magnet on the underside of the oil filter. As stated above, it may help triggering lights and it should trap metal particles.

Another trick I heard and have used successfully on hard to trigger sensors is to stop on the lines as Don instructed, hit the kill switch and restart the engine. The magnetic field generated by the starter motor is supposed to help trigger the sensor. Just make sure you don't have someone coming up on you (see the squished MC thread) and the light is not going to go green immediately.

Leo

To take this idea a little further....I was told by my MSF course teacher that you don't have to stop the engine...just hit the starter button. He claimed it does not harm todays starters and triggers most lights.

I use this method and it seems to work.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Haven't had any problems yet here in Ms.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #14

I'll definitely give it a try! Now I feel really stupid for doing the dance at times... ???

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahsdad
I know this may be way out there, but there are people that don't know how to trigger the light. Not sure if it works the same way all over the world, but in the US it does. It is kind of funny to see people pull up to the light and do the little trigger dance, trying to shift there weight to trigger the light. Here is a little trick, and a small fact about traffic signals. Traffic signals are triggered by a very large metal detector. Yes, buried in the concrete, tar, dirt, is a wire that usually creates a large rectangle and senses the metal, not weight of a vehicle. The best way to trigger the light is to place your motorcycle over the upper left or right side of that rectangle. Place your rear tire on the line, and put your engine over the corner and if you are on a Nomad, (smaller bikes have less metal) you will trigger the light. In some cases there is a line also down the middle of the rectangle, you can trigger it there as well but remember that at a stop light, that is where most of the oil and grease from cars stopped there collects. I hope this little tidbit helps.
Don
Thats pretty much what i do, I had read this years ago...but...sometimes I don't care what you do it isn't going to make a difference. occasionaly you run across a light that your bike just wont trigger, I've got two of those lights on my ride home from work every night. I contacted the city DOT by email a couple of months but still nothing. Hopefully I can remember and I'll make a phone call tomorrow.
If you run into lights that refuse to pick up your bikes presence supposedly if you call your city department they can fix the situation.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed