Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #1

Gauging interest in big bore 1700 pistons.

I am currently working on a 1700 in for tranny problems and will be undercutting the tranny. His cylinders are not in good shape and we dn't wanna put it back that way.

I have done a ton of research, measurements, inspection and assessing of all aspects of what is needed and been in contact with one of my piston suppliers and have come up with a piston kit.

This is a 1787cc (109 c/i.) kit complete with forged higher compression pistons, rings, h.d. wrist pins and clips. It is the biggest bore on the stock sleeves that will maintain sleeve integrity. I am keeping compression to 10.4-1 (stock is 9.5-1).

The stock head gaskets will be used but WILL require to be slightly enlarged which can be done with a dremel. Uses stock base gaskets.

Of course the engine will have to be pulled and the cylinders bored by a reputable machine shop.

Depending on my customer and his desire to go this way I will be placing an order. There is a $100.00 surcharge for just 2 pistons but if there is an order for multiple sets then that is deleted. Pistons will be ready to ship to me in about 4-6 weeks.

SO...if i get any commitments for multiple sets the price is $700.00 plus the shipping to you. Any later 2 piston orders will be $800.00 pus shipping due to their surcharge.

LET ME KNOW

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #2

Thanks RACNRAY, good to know on the pistons.

Tranny Problems, Could it be Clutch forks?? I just got confirmation yesterday from my local dealer that is what is wrong with my 1700 Tranny. Waiting for the go ahead from from Kawasaki to make the repair under warantee . Only 11,000 ,miles on a 2016.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #3

Shift forks are 99.9% NEVER the cause of tranny problems. They are what i call "collateral" damage. Ask if you can send the new gears to me for undercutting as that machining process goes a long way for minimizing this happening again.
What gear is the problem?

Old 03-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

Second gear is the problem. It slips for a fraction of a second then re engages.

Getting a whole new transmission rebuild from Kawasaki, They just approved It today. The dealer called. They also said it was the shift fork and gears. So they told me.. I am not a mechanic.

And By the way Ray, I posted your post above on FB Custom Vaquero Nation. You may get some response on the pistons.

Thanks for the offer on Under cutting the gears. I will ask if maybe we could. Without changing the warrantee?? not sure on that one. But I will ask.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #5

The 1700 has INADEQUATE engagement of the dogs into the female slots for second gear. I have seen this b4, not only on 1700's but other skoots too and it is due to the grooves in the shift drum NOT moving the gear deeper into engagement. Poor engineering. In the past I have been able to shim a gear over to increase engagement but not possible on the 1700'
s.
With the poor engagement of the gears it is very wise to have them undercut, even if it is at ur cost.
THANX for the mention elsewhere...MUCH APPRECIATED.

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Second gear is the problem. It slips for a fraction of a second then re engages.

Getting a whole new transmission rebuild from Kawasaki, They just approved It today. The dealer called. They also said it was the shift fork and gears. So they told me.. I am not a mechanic.

And By the way Ray, I posted your post above on FB Custom Vaquero Nation. You may get some response on the pistons.

Thanks for the offer on Under cutting the gears. I will ask if maybe we could. Without changing the warrantee?? not sure on that one. But I will ask.
Hey man... I wouldn't trust your shop....I am out 5 grand and spending 8 more because my bike wasn't repaired by a professional. My bike is the one that is sitting in Ray's shop now. I should have brought my bike to him 3 years ago.

The line I got from my dealer shop....back cutting is not an authorized Kawasaki repair. We will repair it back to factory spec and will last you for the rest of your bike's life. Back cutting is not needed unless you are racing. they gave me a 1 year warranty on parts an labor....1 year 5 months later, with maybe around 3000 miles after their rebuild, second gear blew out, almost caused me to wreck by going up an over my bars, and a gear fragment wet up into one of my cylinders and damaged the cylinder wall. Now you know why Ray is rebuilding my transmission and we are doing the over bore and putting in the large pistons and doing Cam work.....might as well go for performance since bike motor is torn down again.

Last edited by vindicator6; 03-03-2020 at 11:58 PM.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicator6 View Post
Hey man... I wouldn't trust your shop....I am out 5 grand and spending 8 more because my bike wasn't repaired by a professional. My bike is the one that is sitting in Ray's shop now. I should have brought my bike to him 3 years ago.

The line I got from my dealer shop....back cutting is not an authorized Kawasaki repair. We will repair it back to factory spec and will last you for the rest of your bike's life. Back cutting is not needed unless you are racing. they gave me a 1 year warranty on parts an labor....1 year 5 months later, with maybe around 3000 miles after their rebuild, second gear blew out, almost caused me to wreck by going up an over my bars, and a gear fragment wet up into one of my cylinders and damaged the cylinder wall. Now you know why Ray is rebuilding my transmission and we are doing the over bore and putting in the large pistons and doing Cam work.....might as well go for performance since bike motor is torn down again.

How many miles on the bike when you had the first issue with the transmission and took it to the dealer for repair ?

Old 03-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Good to see you are around Ray;
How's that new skoot treating you?
Visit a little more often.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Good to see you are around Ray;
How's that new skoot treating you?
Visit a little more often.
FANTASTIC!!!...but it ain't perfect. I miss the volumous saddlebags of the Vaq and i's cool glove boxes in the fairing. Ya know how much i did to improve the handling and suspension on the Vaq and they made that thing a hot rod but the indian is much better.
The engine is a jewel and with dynojet's power vision i can alter so much in the ECU by working with the software and flashing the ECU.

Had it since Jun 2016 and except for 4 surgeries in 2018 which kept me off for 3 months been ridin it to the tune of just under 68,000 miles right now.

THANX FOR ASKING

RAY

Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
How many miles on the bike when you had the first issue with the transmission and took it to the dealer for repair ?
About 42k when it went out.....acted up since a year after I bought it. Have seen that one rider had is fail as 11k or so.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #11

3 MORE DAYZ TO SAVE $100.00, Monday nite is the cut-off, then I gotta put the order in on Tuesday...

Old 03-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicator6 View Post
About 42k when it went out.....acted up since a year after I bought it. Have seen that one rider had is fail as 11k or so.
Yup, That would be Me. 11,000 miles
Now I hear after Mama Kaw approved the Tranny rebuild.... the transmission shaft parts Input and Output shafts are on Back order. WITH NO SHIP DATES OR IDEA WHEN THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE. Still have Snow on the ground but it is melting fast.

Down for the count. Time for a new bike maybe, or another bike??

Last edited by mbarr10; 03-06-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Time for a new bike maybe, or another bike??
You're not already enrolled in the 4 Bike Plan???
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 03-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #14

Good news, I have received an order for a second piston kit so that officially puts the price at $700 good through tomorrow night

Old 03-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #15

More good news to the two hat ordered pistons. I was contacted yesterday by the piston company with updated info. They had received the sample stock piston and saw that it is of the "boxed skirt" design, a very modern method of making a piston light AND strong as compared to the old style full skirt piston design, which that forging was their basis for their initial quote. Oversize pistons are generally heavier than stock piston but using that full skirt design would create an even heavier piston,so i decided to have them base the 109 pistons on their boxed skirt design which will minimize the weight gain.

Their is a price increase for this more elaborate forging but I will eat the price increase for these 2 orders. All future orders will be $50.00 more.

RACNRAY