Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-22-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Checking 1700 Oil

I thought checking the oil thru a ight glass placed almost under the engine of my 1600 was a pain, then I bought a 1700. I actually read the manual and kept looking for the line that said it was a joke. At home, in my garage, in no particular hurry to go anywhere, checking the oil level is bad enough. Check temp, warm up so many minutes depending on outside temp, don't rev engine. But, what are you supposed to do on a road trip when you pull in for gas? How long are you supposed to let engine cool? Who is going to hold the bike level while you burn your fingers unscrewing and replacing and unscrewing the dip stick. What do you do in the morning at a motel in the morning before heading out for the day? Try as I may, I can't get the bike to balance itself while I try to check the oil. I'd love to hear any solutions folks have come up with.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2022, 11:00 AM   #2

yes checking the oil on any 1700 is not fun. now... I always ride with gloves on so cracking the dip stick loose don`t hurt for me. I purchased my bike new in 2015 and in 7 years and 45th.klms. it has never burned or leaked a single drop between oil changes and is in a garage at home so if it leaks I will see it so I dont check the oil level before a ride but i always do after afill up at the pumps when the motor is hot. I dont have a problem balancing my bike with the stock seat( vaquero ) I loosen the dip stick before I fill up then when I get back on its easy to reach down and remove and replace the dip stick. if by some chance the oil was low when the motor was cold the oil light should come on at start up or the lifters will make a lot of noise when the motor fires up. you should hear my bike when I start it after winter storage. you would think it was going to explode!! it takes a good 15 minutes before the lifters start to quiet down.
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 04-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
I thought checking the oil thru a ight glass placed almost under the engine of my 1600 was a pain, then I bought a 1700. I actually read the manual and kept looking for the line that said it was a joke. At home, in my garage, in no particular hurry to go anywhere, checking the oil level is bad enough. Check temp, warm up so many minutes depending on outside temp, don't rev engine. But, what are you supposed to do on a road trip when you pull in for gas? How long are you supposed to let engine cool? Who is going to hold the bike level while you burn your fingers unscrewing and replacing and unscrewing the dip stick. What do you do in the morning at a motel in the morning before heading out for the day? Try as I may, I can't get the bike to balance itself while I try to check the oil. I'd love to hear any solutions folks have come up with.
Carry a piece of 2 by 4 with some plywood attached to it to put the bike almost level. Keep the wood in the pannier/hardbag. At home get yourself a wheel chock to hold the bike upright while you check the oil.
This is an excellent chock that will hold your Voyager rock solid. If you have a trailer it can also be bolted to the trailer. Ride into the chock and get off the bike to strap it down to the trailer. I have one and it works great. I used it for my Nomad and then my Voyager. At home the bike was always in the chock and never on the sidestand.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/smart-c...e-wheel-chock/

Don't bother with the comments below the YouTube video, they obviously never owned one.

Last edited by redjay; 04-22-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:46 AM   #4

Here's my easy fool-proof way I check my oil on my '13 VV. It has worked for me for the last 8 years and 79K miles. After I drain the oil and refill with 5 qts I put the dip stick back in. After 6K miles I drain the oil again. I put the used oil back in the empty bottles and they are all pretty much all full. I repeat that procedure every 6K miles. It's worked for me. I don't recommend that anyone else do this. This is just what I do. I don't lose sleep fretting about the oil level. Anyway, check it 2 times in a row and you'll get 2 different readings. P.S. I don't need a lecture.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
Here's my easy fool-proof way I check my oil on my '13 VV. It has worked for me for the last 8 years and 79K miles. After I drain the oil and refill with 5 qts I put the dip stick back in. After 6K miles I drain the oil again. I put the used oil back in the empty bottles and they are all pretty much all full. I repeat that procedure every 6K miles. It's worked for me. I don't recommend that anyone else do this. This is just what I do. I don't lose sleep fretting about the oil level. Anyway, check it 2 times in a row and you'll get 2 different readings. P.S. I don't need a lecture.
You won't get a lecture from me... You're almost exactly using my method, except we're metric down here so I make it 10k km's between procedures

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2022, 08:21 PM   #6

I’m guessing when you put 6 qts in that is when you change the filter?

Old 04-26-2022, 12:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
Im guessing when you put 6 qts in that is when you change the filter?
I just change the filter every time I change the oil.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-26-2022, 07:59 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Its 5qts not 6qts. See post #4.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:57 AM   #9

Oops, reading not my strong suit!