Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

Aluminum Foil to remove surface rust spots

I just wanted to drop a line (newbie here) about a trick I saw online that worked really well for me.

I just purchased a 2013 Nomad 1700 here in Oregon for a screaming deal. Only 3,000 miles on it! It had a little surface rust on some of the chrome (engine guards, forks, mirrors).

Looking online I found a suggestion of using aluminum foil, wetting it, and lightly buffing the rust. Apparently, there is a chemical reaction which makes the iron oxide bond to the aluminum to create aluminum oxide, which becomes a micropolish compound as you rub. Then, just rinse and wipe and polish with a lightly oiled rag.

It worked! The bike looks fantastic, and you cannot tell there was ever any rust, it was cheap and easy (took a little time because the foil breaks down quickly).

Anyway, I though I would add this on here as a thread to help others who may have some surface rust from coastal bikes.

I am enjoying reading many of the forum posts right now, and a leaning towards having Ivan flash the ECU on this bike. The throttle seems "jerky" (for lack of a better term).

Shout out to the mods for running this site. It's great!
-Greenspey

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
chrome, polish, rust