Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-30-2020, 12:10 AM   #1

Question Clutch/ Shifting lock up

Hello all, I need some advice here. I had to replaced my clutch plates do to not being able to shift out of second gear, and then after about 1000 miles it happened again, to the point that it locked up at a stop light (had to drag it out of the street) so I would like some input as to what ya'll think could be the cause.
Now the only thing that i can think is it has something to do with the power load since I upgraded the intake, exhaust, and had it dyno. if so are there options for thicker plates? or could there be another reason as to why this is happening?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Advanced Member

When you say "replaced your clutch plates" I assume you mean the friction plates and not the steel plates? When you assembled the clutch did you insure that every steel plate went back in, in the same order and especially, the same face in or out, as it came apart?

Years ago I replaced the clutch friction plates in my Honda CB350F, just the friction plates. When I reassembled it I just placed the steel plates back in whatever order, as I thought it made no difference. The result was the clutch would not work properly, I could not get the clutch to disengage. I took the clutch apart again, and with some instruction by a helpful mechanic I was able to get the plates properly stacked, in order and proper side in. After that the clutch worked fine, never an issue again.

Here is a general wet clutch replacement process:https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-...-clutch-plates

In the disassembly/reassembly it says to make sure the steel plates come out and go back in, in the same order and orientation as it was when taken apart. Perhaps something similar happened in your case that some steel plates are out of sequence?

Last edited by andyvh1959; 08-30-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:19 AM   #3

i had a mechanic do the work that time, but i'm planing on doing it myself this time since I now have a lift table. thanks for the link

Old 08-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #4

OK, you want advice....while you can get thicker and thinner clutch plates, you CAN'T GUESS at the thickness....you have a stacked height and a release height. I have done it enough as to order the right stuff....and this is a slippery slope for non-mechanics.
With MS rebuilt with fresh O-Rings, seals, theres not any reason why a person can't refresh the clutch pack with new fiber plates and have the bikes clutch like new....
Attention to detail is paramount....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 08-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Hi Duo,,,,follow Dragonlady's advice,,,,,details matter,,,I replaced my clutch springs, with the meanie spring, added Judge washers{ see forum search for details} and it is better than new. Number one thing is to put all parts back exactly as manual says, the last plate is important it goes into a slot different than the others. I too screwed up the first couple of times, parts were not in exact fit, so I watched a few youtube videos on how to refresh the kawi clutch{ type in your year bike in the youtube search} and voila,,,like new. Go slow, watch the videos, check your parts for wear, like the springs, clean the clutch metals,etc. it can all be done on the kickstand, maybe two hours total for us novices, go slow, videos, you will get it done and be very happy............Mike in Sunny Diego

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #6

video to watch

HI Duo, the other listed video for clutch replace isnt good for these Kawasaki's,,,,,here is a good one to watch for your clutch

Hope this link works, if it doesnt do a youtube search for
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Clutch repair Upgrade

by david anderson

good luck, M.Serrin-san diego

Old 09-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #7

Thank you both for the tips, il make sure to go slow. the bike has been in long term parking for a while so a little bit longer wont hurt