Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #31

2008 Red/Black Nomad for sale $7,000

I sold a bike on Craig's List. A 1995 Pacific Coast Honda 800. A gentleman drove all the way from Sarasota, FL to Inpls, IN It took him 2 days. He took it for a test ride handed me cash money loaded onto his truck & left. Easy process. Good Luck with the sale.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #32

I've send a few PM's but I haven't gotten any response. Is this bike still available??
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #33

Wondered if you might inquire on this one Jared ;)

Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
I don't want HD. For what a HD cost, you don't get much substance.
I kindly beg to disagree Ponch... as you might expect... ;)

Regarding the Nomad for sale here... I am a bit surprised that someone here hasn't taken this one...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #35

Sorry everyone..... I was on vacation then went on another long ride (1500 + miles) I will not be selling the bike until spring.... could not get her sold.... lost my deal on a new bike.... I am going to Fla over Christmas to ride then back to bike week in Daytona. I am trailering both times. (too cold to ride down) I will be selling her after bike week with about 18,000 miles. I'll re-post her for sale then.. I will reduce the price of course. I am disapointed that It didn't sell ...... disapointed I lost the deal on a 2010 Voyager but NOT a disapointed Nomad owner!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

I'll rephrase Greg, as I think the HD does have some strong points. If I do a ben franklin (pros and cons), the BMW comes with stuff that is either an option on the HD or isn't available at all. Heated grips and seats, suspension adjustments on the fly, traction control, headlight adjustment on the fly for changes in load/level, much more power, electronic height adjustable windscreen, and the best brakes in the business with anti-dive. Price wise they are similar.

Some people will find this stuff unimportant and even I used to think it's more to go wrong as the bike ages. What I do like about the HD is the paint, fit and finish and what I call gestalt or character. No other bike comes close in those areas (although Indians are supposed to have great paint, they are out of my league price wise). I will admit the HD evokes an emotional reaction that I don't get with any other bike, whereas the BMW is all left brain. Which will win? Which should win? The other thing HD has is dealer support. I would think if I needed help anywhere in the US, I could find it for a HD. BMW might be a problem.

I hope I clarified my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:
I don't want HD. For what a HD cost, you don't get much substance.

Regarding the Nomad for sale here... I am a bit surprised that someone here hasn't taken this one...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #37

Very good arguments. If only there was enough money for both sides of the brain.

Quote:
I'll rephrase Greg, as I think the HD does have some strong points. If I do a ben franklin (pros and cons), the BMW comes with stuff that is either an option on the HD or isn't available at all. Heated grips and seats, suspension adjustments on the fly, traction control, headlight adjustment on the fly for changes in load/level, much more power, electronic height adjustable windscreen, and the best brakes in the business with anti-dive. Price wise they are similar.

Some people will find this stuff unimportant and even I used to think it's more to go wrong as the bike ages. What I do like about the HD is the paint, fit and finish and what I call gestalt or character. No other bike comes close in those areas (although Indians are supposed to have great paint, they are out of my league price wise). I will admit the HD evokes an emotional reaction that I don't get with any other bike, whereas the BMW is all left brain. Which will win? Which should win? The other thing HD has is dealer support. I would think if I needed help anywhere in the US, I could find it for a HD. BMW might be a problem.

Quote:

Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

No kidding. It seems only Jay Leno and the late Malcolm Forbes exercised such prerogatives. I get get to pick one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis
Very good arguments. If only there was enough money for both sides of the brain.

Quote:

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 09-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #39

You know I was just jabbin' you Ponch...

However, as you heard from me, I ride my Ultra a in a bit different "style" than it is intended for. (I could have used the "anti-dive" feature apprently last weekend. LOL!)

While I love the bike, and could add a lot to the list on the "pro" side of the ledger, I could just as equally add items to the "con" side as well.

I haven't heard of, or seen the perfect bike.

If my wife didn't ride (two-up) with me 90% of the time... I would be looking at a BMW. A BMW would fit my type of riding. I don't necessarily like to go real fast... but I do like to ride winding, twisted roads to the limit whenever possible.

While the Ultra handles like a dream in sharp curving roads, the transmission is a "clunker" in my mind -- possibly my biggest complaint on the bike. When you ride twisting roads, there is a lot of shifting, and I think I put the Ultra to the test when shifting as much as I do. I know a lot of people that ride Ultra's and very few ride the type of roads I like to ride -- so they don't really have much of a problem with the transmission. (Any transmission does fine in straight roads when only cruising.)

So... again... the Ultra wins hand-down for me personally when compared to other touring bikes... but for engineered excellence in tougher roads... I would have to believe BMW wins that hands-down. (Maybe some others would be able to provide additional insight.)

I know you sold your Nomad, mostly because of comfort reasons for your back and such... so as you know comfort will come first... but do consider the type of riding you plan on doing.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Next up, test ride on the Ultra after that, BMW, Will follow up with report.

Quote:

However, as you heard from me, I ride my Ultra a in a bit different "style" than it is intended for. (I could have used the "anti-dive" feature apprently last weekend. LOL!)

While I love the bike, and could add a lot to the list on the "pro" side of the ledger, I could just as equally add items to the "con" side as well.

If my wife didn't ride (two-up) with me 90% of the time... I would be looking at a BMW. A BMW would fit my type of riding. I don't necessarily like to go real fast... but I do like to ride winding, twisted roads to the limit whenever possible.

While the Ultra handles like a dream in sharp curving roads, the transmission is a "clunker" in my mind -- possibly my biggest complaint on the bike. When you ride twisting roads, there is a lot of shifting, and I think I put the Ultra to the test when shifting as much as I do. I know a lot of people that ride Ultra's and very few ride the type of roads I like to ride -- so they don't really have much of a problem with the transmission. (Any transmission does fine in straight roads when only cruising.)

So... again... the Ultra wins hand-down for me personally when compared to other touring bikes... but for engineered excellence in tougher roads... I would have to believe BMW wins that hands-down. (Maybe some others would be able to provide additional insight.)

I know you sold your Nomad, mostly because of comfort reasons for your back and such... so as you know comfort will come first... but do consider the type of riding you plan on doing.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #41
Sr. Contributor

Most of my riding is solo, but I do ride two up once a week for sure during riding season and a couple times a month other than that. My wife looked at the R series BMW and didn't think it was sufficient for two up. My oldest daughter does care. That being said, finding a K bike requires some driving and finding the time to get there.

As far as riding style and roads, I live in right angle Iowa, although I like stonk as much as anyone and I also like to have the option to twist the loud handle and hit hyperspace on the open road. My KZ and GPz made power where vtwins can't even go. This can be fun...May be I am better off not. :) We'll see.

Quote:

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #42
Sr. Contributor

I test rode the Ultra today. Was different than I thought it would be. For one, it handles way better than my Nomad. Sh!t, I could ride much faster in the twisties with the Ultra than my nomad. Very nimble at all speeds and considering it weighs more, that's quite surprise. The brakes aren't anything special, and the transmission is 3rd generation Massey Ferguson. It's more cramped in a sense, but the seat is better than my Mustang was, but I not something I would rave about at all. Power is similar to the Nomad, may be slightly better, but nothing to write home about. It's definitely given me something to think about. Next up, BMW.

Quote:

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #43

We have stolen this thread... so start another when you get a chance to ride the BMW. I would be interested.

A client of mine rides BMW's... said he feels it is the best bike out there... but who knows.

The Ultra's "handling" was the first-thing that sold me on it. It is a really well-balanced bike and easy to control -- most certainly at slow-critical speeds.

As mentioned, the transmission isn't anything to brag about at all. I call it the "dump-truck" transmission. Most times I can make it operate very smooth though. I would like a sports-car transmission more though.

Let me know...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #44
Sr. Contributor

I'll keep you posted on what I find out about the BMW. The Ultra handles very well. I taking turns like it was a 500lb bike. What a difference.

Quote:
We have stolen this thread... so start another when you get a chance to ride the BMW. I would be interested.

A client of mine rides BMW's... said he feels it is the best bike out there... but who knows.

The Ultra's "handling" was the first-thing that sold me on it. It is a really well-balanced bike and easy to control -- most certainly at slow-critical speeds.

As mentioned, the transmission isn't anything to brag about at all. I call it the "dump-truck" transmission. Most times I can make it operate very smooth though. I would like a sports-car transmission more though.

Let me know...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #45

Ive been reading you guys accounts of several differant bikes, and all seem to be limited to either BMW or the Ultra Glide, as alternative rides. I am 58 and have been around the block as far as ridden lots of bike types.
My friends have multiple rides parked in the stable, of which Ive ridden the nostalgic, Harleys, and
several others (V Strom,etc) So I dont claim to be no expert....However..Have you folks ever ridden an
ST 1300 Honda? You talk about a smoooth , fast, handling, all around fun rocket ship, that can bring home the groceries and double as a sport bike.
And every bike out there should have linked ABS brakes. More than once Ive had to get on the binders HARD with the Nomad......nearly swapping the back end with the front...and not going down.
A very scarry situation indeed ! With the ST...Ive had my gal on the back, when an emergency situation occurred....Grabbing the front brake with all I had...she slammed into my back...the bike scrubbed off speed like a banchy....no skidding...and the day was saved. Try doing that on my Nomad..Forget it !!
Driving the Nomad is like the Cadallac tractor...Driving the ST...The Ferrari.
Seriously....Go take an ST out for a test ride....Visit STOwners.com forum....You guys are missing out on one reliable and long term machine. Setting my Brakeaway cruise control at 100mph, is like puuting along at 60, on the Nomad.
And when you get to some winding roads....The smile factor alone will tell the tale.