Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #16

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffron69
GLWilson, what'd you get?
After looking at the Voyager (and riding it)... I passed on it. Much of the same problem with it being too tall for me.

I instead bought a HD Ultra Classic. It has the lowering kit on it (both front and back -- lowers it nearly a couple inches); and it has the "reach-seat"; which sits lower; pushes you further forward; and has a very narrow "tongue" on it so my legs reach the ground easily. Overall the bike is now a well-balanced bike that I can flat-foot and feel much more confident.

I catch a lot of grief on here about the HD though...
Very nice! I'm just not in a position to drop that kinda cash at this point.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Work the seat some more... it took me a ride across the county both eay and then 2 more seasons to get used to Nomads. My first 01 was stolen on the 360th day I owned it. The 1500 is hell on slow manouvers too, but it will make you a rider or break you i guess. It is ment to be moving.

The 1600 is a bit better in slower speeds, but not a whole lot. Still you may just need more time.

How much time have you had this in time and miles? These are really big heavy bikes. no doubt about it.

I am a little guy but taller than you. so reaching the ground isn't a problem, but throwing the Nomad around still is. The dam thing has no idea I am there, but I am working on being one with the machine. Not exactly there yet and I have the 06 since June 06, while it was a used bike.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #18

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Work the seat some more... it took me a ride across the county both eay and then 2 more seasons to get used to Nomads. My first 01 was stolen on the 360th day I owned it. The 1500 is hell on slow manouvers too, but it will make you a rider or break you i guess. It is ment to be moving.

The 1600 is a bit better in slower speeds, but not a whole lot. Still you may just need more time.

How much time have you had this in time and miles? These are really big heavy bikes. no doubt about it.

I am a little guy but taller than you. so reaching the ground isn't a problem, but throwing the Nomad around still is. The dam thing has no idea I am there, but I am working on being one with the machine. Not exactly there yet and I have the 06 since June 06, while it was a used bike.
Yes Mac I was thinking work the seat more that is why I put a post on here for another stock seat to work on (just in case I mess up bad I have a seat that isn't all messed up)

I'm sure you are corrrect, I need more time and a few more mods. I bought this the end of July last year, and probably have less than 1000 miles I put on it. When I have it moving I am fine (would love to have a more comfortable seat BUT that adds heith & that brings me back to not reaching the ground firmly) and the bike handels great both on the highway & in the twisties, just the slow speed stuff & stop & go traffic is gettig me. Slow speed I am fighting it every step (and that is bad for many reasons including I teach the MSF classes & have to use my bike to show this stuff can easily be done & at the present moment I can't do all of it which is extremely frustrating because this is the 1st bike I ran into that is giving me troubles) and in traffic the seat is just a bit too wide so it pushes my thighs out. The other issue with the slow speed tigt turns is once I turn the bars hard I can barely reach the far one, I do have chucksters 3" risers but I gues I'm going to have to look into getting Phat IIs or something similar

I think it is a case of I bought a bike that didn't fit me well OR my impatience is getting the best of me while trying to get used to a new bike. Either way, not so good, and the fact is I do love the bike & like I said when moving it's awesome.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #19

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Quote:
I'm sure you are corrrect, I need more time and a few more mods. I bought this the end of July last year, and probably have less than 1000 miles I put on it. When I have it moving I am fine (would love to have a more comfortable seat BUT that adds height & that brings me back to not reaching the ground firmly) and the bike handles great both on the highway & in the twisties, just the slow speed stuff & stop & go traffic is gettig me. Slow speed I am fighting it every step (and that is bad for many reasons including I teach the MSF classes& have to use my bike to show this stuff can easily be done & at the present moment I can't do all of it which is extremely frustrating because this is the 1st bike I ran into that is giving me troubles) and in traffic the seat is just a bit too wide so it pushes my thighs out. The other issue with the slow speed tigt turns is once I turn the bars hard I can barely reach the far one, I do have chucksters 3" risers but I gues I'm going to have to look into getting Phat IIs or something similar

I think it is a case of I bought a bike that didn't fit me well OR my impatience is getting the best of me while trying to get used to a new bike. Either way, not so good, and the fact is I do love the bike & like I said when moving it's awesome.
Hey Ron, think I can get a few points knocked off from last year's figure eight in the ERC.....if you back me up....I can say it's the bike's fault.

Just kidding!! Had to say it.
I also have trouble at low speed maneuvers, but that may be due to inexperience.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

The 00 to 04 are just bears at slow speeds. No one may say, but I got the idea it takes a season or 2 to get the feel down, unless you are naturaly gifted. I am not. I can drive a car faster than I can ride a bike. I was trained as a race car driver, which means lessons and training. With bikes there was no msf courses when i first started riding in the mid 60's.

So I have seat of the pants experience which works, but isn't the best. I really have to work on a track made of crackers each Spring, since winters are long.

I am not all that strong either, and don't weigh enough for the Nomad to know i am even there.

I am hoping this year I get that feel of one with the machine. I am there with a smaller bike, the 1981 yammi triple 850 I have. To me it seems my eyes just belong to that bike. It just goes and there is 0 thinking.

I am not there yet with the 1600, but getting closer. Nomad are not like any other bike i ever rode, but they sure are habit forming.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #21

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Eric - let me work on that LOL

Mac - I know they're a bear @ low speeds, and like I said before it's in part because I'm short with short arms and in part impatience. By the way, that was a short layoff you had glad to see you're back.

Another thing I'm thinking is playing into things here is (here I go getting flamed I'm sure) is I really want a Harley. If I would've taken the cash I got tied up in this Nomad I could have got myself an older ultra...

I'm just going to keep working on technique, I am done putting cash into the bike. If I get lucky I will find someone to give me $7500 like it sits (or real close) and I'll take my losses & grab an old Harley...

Thanks for the words of wizdom & encouragement, it is appreciated! Know anyone looking for a loaded Nomad??

Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #22

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Quote:

Mac - I know they're a bear @ low speeds, and like I said before it's in part because I'm short with short arms and in part impatience. By the way, that was a short layoff you had glad to see you're back.

Another thing I'm thinking is playing into things here is (here I go getting flamed I'm sure) is I really want a Harley. If I would've taken the cash I got tied up in this Nomad I could have got myself an older ultra...

I'm just going to keep working on technique, I am done putting cash into the bike. If I get lucky I will find someone to give me $7500 like it sits (or real close) and I'll take my losses & grab an old Harley...

Thanks for the words of wizdom & encouragement, it is appreciated! Know anyone looking for a loaded Nomad??
Yes... your local Harley dealer!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #23

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #24

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Quote:
Quote:

Yes...they need at least one reliable bike on the floor! ;)

Settle down Greg...I am just yanking your chain
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #25

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

That ain't right...funny but just wrong

Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #26

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

price reduced to $7300....

Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #27

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

NO interest? price? If so please send me pm with offers... Bad market? Bike is in great shape, what's the deal???

Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
Mega-Contributor

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Quote:
NO interest? price? If so please send me pm with offers... Bad market? Bike is in great shape, what's the deal???
Most of us already own a Nomad. ...Just a guess. ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #29

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Jack I guess you might be onto something there. A local dealer said I was crazy for selling under $8000 and that it should sell real fast at this price...I told him I would be happy to sell to him for $7300 & he could resell for $8000 and make $700 "easy money" but he didn't want to do that ???

Old 05-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #30
Mega-Contributor

SOLD PLEASE DELETE

Quote:
Jack I guess you might be onto something there. A local dealer said I was crazy for selling under $8000 and that it should sell real fast at this price...I told him I would be happy to sell to him for $7300 & he could resell for $8000 and make $700 "easy money" but he didn't want to do that ???
Have you listed the bike for sale anywhere else? You might try the Delphi Vulcan Forum. Here, you are trying to sell a Nomad to people who already own them. On the Delphi forum, you might find people who own a classic or 900 and are looking to trade up to a Nomad. How about Craigslist? Cycle Trader?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17