Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #46
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I tried a sport tourer (Yamaha FJR 1300) after selling my Voyager.
I never got comfortable on it despite putting on risers, Daylong seat and a bigger windshield. 30 years ago the FJR would have been a bike of my dreams but it turned out to be a nightmare. My fault for thinking I was 35 years old.
The FJR emphasis is sport. The Trophy, ST and RT emphasize touring and riding positions reflect it. I couldn't ride a FJR either.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #47
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
I have arrived!

I am at the Vog thanks, still as id-man, you'll run into me eventually. Also at victoryforums.com.

No disrespect to the Nomad, it achieves what it was designed for brilliantly, but the Cross Country aims for and hits a completely different target. They fulfill the sleek, modern, engineered concept every bit as well as the Vulcans hit that old-school, traditional, dare I say "American" V-twin vibe it aimed for. They are both gorgeous and true to their promise in different ways. Biggest difference to me is the handling and manners on curves and at low speeds. Where the Nomad wanted heavy input and corrections the Vic seems to just track with far less effort. That's not a bash just an observation. I'll always admire the Nomad and the mighty men who master them!

I wish you many happy miles with your new bike. I have been on many Victorys for test rides at Americade, never was disappointed with them. Just can't afford to buy a big ticket item now. Hopefully before I die I will pick one up for cheap.
Anyway, I love your above comment, thanks for not bashing the Nomad. It is what it is, and has brought many smiles to a lot of faces. Happy Trails.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #48

Send a message via ICQ to MJ07Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
I have arrived!

I am at the Vog thanks, still as id-man, you'll run into me eventually. Also at victoryforums.com.

No disrespect to the Nomad, it achieves what it was designed for brilliantly, but the Cross Country aims for and hits a completely different target. They fulfill the sleek, modern, engineered concept every bit as well as the Vulcans hit that old-school, traditional, dare I say "American" V-twin vibe it aimed for. They are both gorgeous and true to their promise in different ways. Biggest difference to me is the handling and manners on curves and at low speeds. Where the Nomad wanted heavy input and corrections the Vic seems to just track with far less effort. That's not a bash just an observation. I'll always admire the Nomad and the mighty men who master them!
Glad to see your Nomad went to someone who is going to repair it. You got a nice Cross Country there and I am sure you will enjoy many miles. When I read the above I had to say, you are a classy guy...change your name to id-man of class. I agree with what you say about the Nomad, if you are talking about the 1500/1600 (which you are) but just like the CC the 1700 Nomad is nothing like the 1500/1600 Nomad. Too bad (I think) they no longer make a 1700 Nomad. Guess I would have to look at Victory for my next bike, there is a great Victory dealer not far from me (Zack's) and if I could swing the payments (which I can not) I would have one in my garage for sure. Have fun and enjoy your new bike.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #49
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ07Nomad View Post
Guess I would have to look at Victory for my next bike, there is a great Victory dealer not far from me (Zack's) and if I could swing the payments (which I can not) I would have one in my garage for sure.
Hey thanks for the kind words. I wasn't sure I could afford the new bike either but older ones with really low miles are getting more available / affordable as that Cross Country model ages (it's not the newest, latest thing on the road anymore). I went shopping with $10k in mind and ended up spending slightly more but also getting something nicer than I imagined, under 8k miles for $12k. That's like brand new for me, who's always had to buy the cheapest, old, high mileage, bargain I could scrounge:) Keep in mind that the Cross Roads is exactly the same bike with a windshield instead of the fairing, and they sell for even less. Locate one with some mileage on it and you could be in the sub $6k territory I would imagine. It's good to have a goal. In the meantime a Nomad is a hell of a ride!

Old 04-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #50

id-man
Totally agree with everyone elses thoughts about what a class act you have been as you move on to bigger and better things. I am sure it will be a little tough sticking around here while you are trying learn more about your new venture. I appreciate all the contributions you have made to this group, the biggest one of course being the logo for our group of misfits.
Hope to meet you on the road one day.
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #51
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
id-man
Totally agree with everyone elses thoughts about what a class act you have been as you move on to bigger and better things. I am sure it will be a little tough sticking around here while you are trying learn more about your new venture. I appreciate all the contributions you have made to this group, the biggest one of course being the logo for our group of misfits.
Hope to meet you on the road one day.
Very gratifying, thank you all very much it has been rewarding and I won't be gone, gone, just distracted. I didn't think anybody knew, remembered or cared about the logo...they call me ID man for a reason

Here's another project nobody knows about which I bump into every day and always makes me smile. The county has made 10's of millions on this design for which I got paid a couple hundred bucks. But it came with a lifetime of free smiles:)