Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #46

One of my favorite meals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Hey Mick.
I can remember when a pint of mild was 1 shilling and 10 pence and a Newkie Brown was 2 shillings ! I can also remember when cod and chips was 10 old pence. That's 24 portions of cod and chips for a pound !!!! A brand new Honda 50 was 96 quid !

A brand new Austin Mini was not much more than a Triumph Bonneville in the 60's !
Good grief, I get two (sometimes 3) pieces of Cod and a few chips (or fries) and it costs me $10US and up. I missed out.
1999 Nomad (Pearl Boulogne/Candy Arsenate Green)
2003 Nomad (Vintage Red/Pearl Luster Beige)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01256 View Post
Good grief, I get two (sometimes 3) pieces of Cod and a few chips (or fries) and it costs me $10US and up. I missed out.
Maybe you did,but you are doing allright now mate, 1 cod and chip's will set you back about $12 US here now,and that's wrapped in paper to go,if you want ketchup or tartar sauce that's an extra 25c for a tiny sachet, a pub will charge about $25 for a sit down.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #48
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Oh I don't know; I've never had trouble finding parts for this bike, and I haven't had to find many. The meter is the first thing that's given me a fit, and they are plentiful if you don't mind paying the full shelf price for a new unit. It's trying to find a good, used part that's tricky: they just aren't around because the Nomad isn't salvaged very often. Once in awhile I'll see a whole bike parted out on eBay; not too often.
I was talking about new parts. HD and BMW carry parts for far longer. For instance, you can see how far back parts can be searched here: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

I don't plan on keeping mine that long, but it's nice to know stuff is available.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 04-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Hey Mick.
I can remember when a pint of mild was 1 shilling and 10 pence and a Newkie Brown was 2 shillings ! I can also remember when cod and chips was 10 old pence. That's 24 portions of cod and chips for a pound !!!! A brand new Honda 50 was 96 quid !

A brand new Austin Mini was not much more than a Triumph Bonneville in the 60's !
You northern lad's and your mild,all the slop's and left over's went back in that barrel,that's why it tasted like black horse piss Whitbread tankard was the beer of choice for us soft southern bastard's,i can remember going into the Forest home at 12yrs old and drinking 2 pint's at 1s & 3d a pint, and i would falling of my Tiger cub all across the forest for the rest of the afternoon At the time a Bonneville was £279.99 !
http://pubshistory.com/Hampshire/Faw...restHome.shtml

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...e_England.html

Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #50
Top Contributor

I never said I drank mild, I said I remember what it cost :)

Robinsons and Boddingtons pubs were the pubs of choice in our area.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2015, 02:54 AM   #51

Quote:
I never said I drank mild, I said I remember what it cost :)

Robinsons and Boddingtons pubs were the pubs of choice in our area.
There are virtually none of the old family owned breweries or pub's left now,they have all been swallowed up by the big conglomerate's,who lease out the pub's at extortionate rent's and dictate what beer they sell,( their own )and at what price, so that the pub's cant provide a living anymore,they have been turned into child friendly,non smoking restaurant's, with none of the old character's left in them.Add the stupidly high tax on top of everything and you got a recipe for disaster, they reckon 12 pub's a day are closing across the country, the big supermarket chain's are buying them up and turning them into convenience store's, undercutting and forcing the closure of all the family owned store's.Big business win's everytime eh !

Old 04-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877 View Post
Mine red and wine 99 is also starting to rattle. I think it's because of the two rubber grommets that the cowl slides into getting brittle and coming apart.

DC
PATENT PENDING FOR 1999 NOMAD SPEEDO CHIRPING CURE.
Before i set off on a 70 mile trip this morning, i took the speedo apart and cleaned the 2 pole's that go into the grommit's and lashed them and the grommit's with WD40. Thinking that i finally fixed it, 10 mile's up the road it started again,it was driving me nut's,so i pulled over on the side of the road,and took it apart again. All i had with me for a lubricant was some Duckswax,so it got a propper dose of that,and i tell you what nipper,that's the stuff ! not a squeak out off it all day
http://www.duckswax.co.uk/

Old 04-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #53

Grin I did it for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
PATENT PENDING FOR 1999 NOMAD SPEEDO CHIRPING CURE.
Before i set off on a 70 mile trip this morning, i took the speedo apart and cleaned the 2 pole's that go into the grommit's and lashed them and the grommit's with WD40. Thinking that i finally fixed it, 10 mile's up the road it started again,it was driving me nut's,so i pulled over on the side of the road,and took it apart again. All i had with me for a lubricant was some Duckswax,so it got a propper dose of that,and i tell you what nipper,that's the stuff ! not a squeak out off it all day
http://www.duckswax.co.uk/
My solution doesn't cost anything; just let the meter break--I can't believe how much less noise there is now!

***eventually, there is a cost when you get pulled over by the local police for speeding. "But, it's broken, see?" doesn't have a lot of currency.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #54
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
There are virtually none of the old family owned breweries or pub's left now,they have all been swallowed up by the big conglomerate's,who lease out the pub's at extortionate rent's and dictate what beer they sell,( their own )and at what price, so that the pub's cant provide a living anymore,they have been turned into child friendly,non smoking restaurant's, with none of the old character's left in them.Add the stupidly high tax on top of everything and you got a recipe for disaster, they reckon 12 pub's a day are closing across the country, the big supermarket chain's are buying them up and turning them into convenience store's, undercutting and forcing the closure of all the family owned store's.Big business win's everytime eh !
Is it like that in Ireland? I've heard they have some lively pubs there.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Is it like that in Ireland? I've heard they have some lively pubs there.
Ireland is split in two halves,the north is British governed,the south is/was independent,now it's a member of the European Union. They took billion's of euro's as a bribe to join,good time's followed,building's went up everywhere some people got very rich,then the recession came and they could'nt make payment's on the euro loan's,and the euro bank show's no mercy (see what they are doing to Greece) and the Irish economy all but collapsed.Propped up by the euro bank,they are no longer governing their own country,but dancing to the bank's tune, and the wishes of the unelected cabal of thieves who run the EU. So to answer your question, yes Ireland has lost many of it's independent pub's and other businesses,but in the country they still have plenty of typical old bar's full of the type of character's that you wont find anywhere else.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #56
Top Contributor

I was on holiday in the U.K last year. I am originally from there.

I walked to my local pub to find it all shuttered up and closed forever. I stood there in total disbelief. It had been there for almost a 100 years. My grandfather went there, my dad went there, I went there. There are many pubs close to my mums place in the U.K that have closed. A pub closing was unheard of 30 years ago. Hardly anyone had beers at home, everyone met in the pub to socialize.

Most of the pubs that relied on just beer sales have gone and only the pubs selling beer and good food have survived.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #57

Quote:
I was on holiday in the U.K last year. I am originally from there.

I walked to my local pub to find it all shuttered up and closed forever. I stood there in total disbelief. It had been there for almost a 100 years. My grandfather went there, my dad went there, I went there. There are many pubs close to my mums place in the U.K that have closed. A pub closing was unheard of 30 years ago. Hardly anyone had beers at home, everyone met in the pub to socialize.

Most of the pubs that relied on just beer sales have gone and only the pubs selling beer and good food have survived.
Around here there were 11 pub's close enough together that i could hit most of them with a catapult when i was a nipper,now there are 4,and only one is a propper old pub where the boy's can have a ye-ha,The Old Mill,owned by a friend of mine.
http://www.theoldmillinn.org/

I drank in the Bridge Tavern for 40yrs when i was not travelling,i watched, and took part, as 3 whole generation's got raised into adult's and taught manner's and respect in that pub.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/dist...lost_forever_/

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1029...otest/?ref=rss

Old 04-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Around here there were 11 pub's close enough together that i could hit most of them with a catapult when i was a nipper,now there are 4,and only one is a propper old pub where the boy's can have a ye-ha,The Old Mill,owned by a friend of mine.
http://www.theoldmillinn.org/

I drank in the Bridge Tavern for 40yrs when i was not travelling,i watched, and took part, as 3 whole generation's got raised into adult's and taught manner's and respect in that pub.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/dist...lost_forever_/

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1029...otest/?ref=rss
I'm trying to find a parallel here in the US; there's plenty of small, local bars; from my perspective, they aren't as ingrained in the culture in the same way as in England, and certainly not with the same legacy: I'm sad to hear about all the closings you're describing. I remember when I was in Germany in 96 and a woman I'd befriended ('nother story) and I ended up in a bar/pub/coffee house around 2am in Berlin--there were quite a few folks there and it was 1st about socializing and discussion and 2nd about the libations (Germany is my only example because I haven't been to England--pardon my ignorance).

I think we have some of this here in the States, but the focus is inverted; it's 1st about drinking, 2nd about socializing (never mind American football season).

Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #59
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I'm trying to find a parallel here in the US; there's plenty of small, local bars; from my perspective, they aren't as ingrained in the culture in the same way as in England, and certainly not with the same legacy: I'm sad to hear about all the closings you're describing. I remember when I was in Germany in 96 and a woman I'd befriended ('nother story) and I ended up in a bar/pub/coffee house around 2am in Berlin--there were quite a few folks there and it was 1st about socializing and discussion and 2nd about the libations (Germany is my only example because I haven't been to England--pardon my ignorance).

I think we have some of this here in the States, but the focus is inverted; it's 1st about drinking, 2nd about socializing (never mind American football season).
Depends. In some cities and towns in the US there are bars/pubs/restaurants with history and legacy. I used to go to McSoreley's in Manhattan. Oldest continuously operated tavern in NYC, since 1854. Lincoln drank there. There's also Pete's Tavern and The Landmark Tavern in NYC. Great places and still in business after 150+ years.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Depends. In some cities and towns in the US there are bars/pubs/restaurants with history and legacy. I used to go to McSoreley's in Manhattan. Oldest continuously operated tavern in NYC, since 1854. Lincoln drank there. There's also Pete's Tavern and The Landmark Tavern in NYC. Great places and still in business after 150+ years.
I sadly haven't had the benefit of living in areas like that; fantastic history! There are a few old, original saloons still in operation in the Gold Rush region of the West, and a very old saloon in Virginia City, NV--these aren't part of the mainstream though as they are on tourist routes mostly.

In my state, most small towns have a bar and church on every corner, and it's hard to tell which one hear's more confessions.