Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Riser bolt conversion: metric to standard?

It's taking forever to get the risers I ordered, and I'm about out of patience. So, I'm wondering if the Thunder Mfg. adapter bolt that allows metrics to use HD risers would be a remedy? I can then practically go buy a set of risers off the shelf and be done with this project.
http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=163

Or, can I find the same set of bolts at a hardware store? At this point it's not even about the $20 for two lousy bolts, it's frustration, pain, and the dead hand syndrome talking...

Thanks for any input, especially from those who have converted the stock risers to standard threading.

Best,
Daryl :(" title="" border="0"/>

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #2

I bought standard bolts at the hardware store. They had a 9/16 head that fit in the stock riser perfectly. (Used 1/2 inch drive 3/4 inch deep sockets for risers) The threads were coarser than stock but I just used nylon lock nuts since I couldn't find the wierd style stock lock nut. If you go to a specialty bolt store like fastenal they should have anything you want - but they were closed on saturday so I just went to the ma and pa hardware store in town.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

I used H-D risers. I bought the bolts at fastenal.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

The bolt thread pitch should not be an issue if you want to go with HD risers. All you have through the triple tee are holes. Once you unbolt the stock risers you can install standard SAE size HD risers with whatever bolt size fits. Just be aware of the base of the HD risers because you may need to grind them down to get them to match up to your triple tee. I put Duece risers on a Suzi Volusia and had to grind the bases down and use large fender washers to get them to fit. They looked great and were very comfortable. Good luck.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #5

I just got the Lightning Performance 4" risers for my 1500 Nomad and picked up their sae/metric adapter bolts. Everything worked fine except the risers hit my speedo big time. So off they come - but for the bolts, check Sherm's - it's the best price for those bolts I found.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #6

3/8 bolts have a 9/16 hex head. That's what I used when I just put spacers under my stock risers.