Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Advanced Member

My Nomad Story

I was looking for a cruiser motorcycle and did some comparisons on the different models available. After researching what seemed like for days, the Vulcan Nomad was the bike! The next challenge was to find the right bike. Every day the search was on. Bike Trader, Craig’s list, Newspapers, etc. looking for someone selling their Nomad. I was looking for a nice bike at a good price. I looked in Oregon, CA, Nevada, and AZ. If the bike and price was right, I was willing to travel.

Was searching the Phoenix Craig’s list and came upon an ad for an 08’ 1600 Nomad. It had 445 miles on it, some right side damage, and a salvage title. I called the person who placed the ad and spent 2 hours talking to him about the bike and Arizona’s vehicle insurance. He sent me a few more photos of the bike and answered all my questions. Seemed to be on the up and up. A couple days went past and after checking out the pics and figuring out how much it would cost to fix, I decided it was the deal I was looking for.

I worked out a deal and was able to put a deposit on the bike to hold it for three weeks while I secured travel arrangements and ordered parts that would be required for the safety inspection to register the bike for the ride home. (My insurance would not cover the bike unless it was legal)

The bike passed the dmv inspection the day before I left to get the bike. On 9/6, I flew into Phoenix and was picked up by the seller and went to check out the bike. I was apprehensive as all I saw were photos. I was very pleased with what I saw. There was some minor damage that I was not informed of, but, I expected that. Not a big deal. The deal was completed and then it was off to the dmv to get the title in my name. A few issues later, I had a bike and a restored salvage title and registration. All legal!

I spent the rest of the daylight becoming accustomed to the bike in 107 degree heat before checking in to a motel for the night, resting up for the next day.

5am the next morning, I was packing the saddlebags with all I had flown in with. Plenty of room. At 6am, I checked out and began the 700+ mile trip back home. For the next 12 hours and 45 minutes, the bike ran flawlessly. I stopped only for fuel and at a couple rest stops to re-hydrate and stretch out the legs. I was not too tired when I pulled in the driveway. I could have kept going if I had further to go.

The next day, I gathered all the paperwork for my appointment at the CA dmv to get the bike registered here. The VIN and engine numbers had to be verified as well as proof of California emissions. So far so good. No big deal with the paperwork with the title and registration. Just was asked why I got an AZ title with a CA address. Walked out with a license plate and registration. Stopped at the Kawi dealer to get my name in their system as owner of the bike. Was also told the warranty is good until 5/2010.

The following Thursday, I get the paperwork from Kawi. The next day, I get the CA title, no mention on the title of salvage. Wow, a clean title!

The flight, purchase, ride and register, get warranty info, and a clean title in less than a week! I just have to put a little work and less than a grand in parts and this Nomad will be lookin like new!

I am glad that I purchased this Nomad. Since it has already been down, I am less anal about it than I would be if I bought it off the showroom floor. I take the same care as I would if it were new, but I will not freak out over a scratch or ding. Those are inevitable. I feel very lucky that this bike came my way. The warranty and title were icing on the cake.

I look forward to many miles of riding and hope to meet some of you. I have already gleaned useful information from here. Glad to be a member!

08 1600 Blue/silver

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #2

My Nomad Story

KenBob,
Glad to hear that you enjoy your purchase. We all hope that you enjoy it and enjoy making her your own. You'll have to show us some pics and keep us up to date about all the work that you have to do on the bike. Take care of yourself and stay in touch,
Rich

Old 09-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Top Contributor

My Nomad Story

Okay...here comes the obvious question....how much $$ total do you have in your investment...?? I just bought a Blue/Silver '08 off the showroom floor last July.... .

BTW....welcome to the board from the great Pacific NW!

Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #4

My Nomad Story

We did similarly with a Lexus from Atlanta this summer. We found the lowest priced one in the country with under 30,000 miles. Then we had the dealer take it to a Lexus dealer and I paid the Lexus dealer to look it over well and tell us what all they found.

The only found some misc. scratches. Knowing that it was what it purported to be, we bought tickets and flew out, picking up the lowest price Lexus in the country.

I'm glad that doing it with a Nomad worked out just as well for you.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #5

My Nomad Story

Ken Bob,

Congrats on the bike!! I think I saw that one on Craig's list as well when I was looking to buy back in June...it did seem like a good deal but over my head at the time. It is funny I flip houses all the time and spend a hell of a lot more money...was intimidated by doing it with a bike. I guess you just do what you know.

If you are ever up in the Portland area let me know!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Top Contributor

My Nomad Story

KenBob,
Forget I asked about your investment....that was rude of me... :-/.
Enjoy your bike to the fullest and keep her shiny!

Cheers...Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #7

My Nomad Story

KenBob, hope you get many years enjoyment out of your Nomad. Welcome from eastern Nebraska.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #8

My Nomad Story

KenBob, Congrats on your new Nad, as you've already found out, it's a great bike for the long haul, and you did get the proper color bike, and if you didn't know, it is the fastest and most comfortable color. ;)

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
My Nomad Story

KenBob,
Congrats from the west coast of Canada, and welcome. You're going to like this place almost as much as you're going to like your new bike. You'll like your bike now but you'll learn to love it later.
Best regards

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 09-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #10

My Nomad Story

Welcome from Mississippi and VulcanE is right the blue & silver are the fastest

Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #11
Advanced Member

My Nomad Story

Great story, I use to do the same kind of thing when I was a kid. I worked for a Honda dealer throughout college and when a totaled bike came in, I bought it unless someone died on it and then I would pass. Made a lot of extra money doing that.

Congrats on the new bike and keep the shiny side up.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #12

My Nomad Story

Looks like you got the right deal for you.

Welcome to the Nomad family!

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #13

My Nomad Story

Man that sounds like a fantastic introduction of man & machine. My trip home from the dealer was only 2 miles. I am jealous now.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #14

My Nomad Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
KenBob,
Forget I asked about your investment....that was rude of me... :-/.
Enjoy your bike to the fullest and keep her shiny!

Cheers...Kris
Not rude, inquisitive.

KenBob, if you don't mind, tell us your total investment. Inquiring minds want to know
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #15
Mega-Contributor

My Nomad Story

Quote:
"...and you did get the proper color bike, and if you didn't know, it is the fastest and most comfortable color."

"...and VulcanE is right the blue & silver are the fastest"
You poor misguided souls...the fastest color is pictured in my signature line.

You're being misled here, kenbob. Everyone the world over knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the black Nomad is the fastest, most comfortable, best smelling and most feared motorcycle on the PLANET.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17