Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #1

Fuel pump - Mitsubishi?

Today I pulled the fuel pump from my 2008 1600 vulcan nomad to try and do something about the screaming. My bike has 70000 kilometers on it and this is the second pump its gone through. In Australia Kawasaki are asking $800.00 for this part. In US around $400.00. I dismantled and cleaned the filter part of pump as suggested by members in my previous thread. The result was excellent, no more screaming.

While in there i discovered the following things re this fuel pump.
- The base of the unit is labled as Kawasaki 49040-0008 It is then marked UCT3OKU9 then 8903 The part is also stamped with a mitsubishi diamond. This lableing is on the base of the complete unit on the lower external sump.

Once you get inside the actual pump is clearly labled mitsubishi UC T30 followed by the numbers 08212.

The plastic bowl section of the pump is stamped with the numbers 0808181

It appears the actual pump is indeed mitsubishi and can be purchased in australia for $100.00. What also seems clear is that it is not the pump that fails, (ever heard of mitsubishi fuel pumps failing in 30000 kilometers?.) its the plastic housing surrounding it. It simply collects gunk which restricts the flow of fuel causing the pump to work too hard and so it squeels. Alternatively there is a pressure valve on the pump which may also cause the sqeeling as it squirts by passed fuel back into the tank. Either way it's the plastic part that fails.

The fact that the pump stops squeeling once the reserviour has been cleaned demonstrates that its not the pump that fails unless you let it go too long.

I'm going to chase up a few pumps of the type mentioned above and see if they come as a complete assembly from mitsubishi. If so I'll let you know.

I loce the bike and intend to keep it for many years to come but as you can see I'm dissapointed by this fuel pump system. These bikes are designed to tour and should be reliable. If there is a problem with this component then it should be priced as a service item so that we can factor its replacement on a regular basis into the running of the bike.

What do others think? Am I being too hard or is it reasonable to expect better life out of an integral part? I've had plenty of other bikes with electric fuel pumps that easily outlast this part.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

Thanks for the Information. I am not having any fuel pump problems but since its winter here I am going to take it out for a cleaning.It would be nice to know if you can buy this pump from mitsubishi direct!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

To me the fact that the squeeling stops when you clean the filter, makes it seem to be more of a design problem by Kawasaki.
The pump is not the problem, its the filter assembly as you already found out.
Normally you shouldn't be replacing the pump or cleaning the filter as often as you are. This leads me to beleive that you have dirty fuel that is causing this to happen.
I don't think there is much you can do about that, if that is the case.
Try to find a gas station that has clean tanks if you can.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the information, my bike has been screaming for quite awhile and I couldn’t figure out where the noise was coming from as it doesn’t do it all the time I could only hear it at idle when I was stopped waiting for a signal light or stop sign but the fuel pump makes sense.
My bike has 48,000 miles on it and I don’t think you are being too hard or unreasonable expecting to get many more miles on a fuel pump. Again thank you for some great information!!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05nomader View Post
Thanks for the information, my bike has been screaming for quite awhile and I couldn’t figure out where the noise was coming from as it doesn’t do it all the time I could only hear it at idle when I was stopped waiting for a signal light or stop sign but the fuel pump makes sense.
My bike has 48,000 miles on it and I don’t think you are being too hard or unreasonable expecting to get many more miles on a fuel pump. Again thank you for some great information!!
If you remove your tank and clean the internal filter you will probably save yourself having to replace the pump.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
If you remove your tank and clean the internal filter you will probably save yourself having to replace the pump.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I haven't had my Nomad delivered yet but wondering how you get inside a Gas Tank to remove the Fuel Pump to clean the Screen, Etc? Is there another opening then the Gas Cap?

How do they get electrical power inside a Gas Tank to power this Fuel pump?

These may be stupid questions as I have not worked on my 2008 Nomad yet.

Northern Dancer,

Ron

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

OPP's just researched and got my answer

How To Do It
  • Remove the fuel tank, (see this page for details)
  • Turn the fuel tank upside down (set on a towel or other pad so you don't scratch the paint)
  • Remove the 8 fuel pump bolts with an 8mm socket or wrench
  • Carefully remove the fuel pump assembly, wiring and gasket from the fuel tank noting the orientation of tabs. (you might even want to take a digital picture or series of them as you go in case a guide is necessary for reinstallation.
  • DO NOT discard the fuel pump gasket (this is different than the Service Manual), as it can be reused.
  • Remove the Phillips Head screw on the retaining strap that holds the filter to the pump assembly
  • Remove the two gas line clamps & hoses on each end of the fuel filter
  • Remove the fuel filter from the assembly
  • Replace the fuel filter. Any fuel filter with the same or similar dimensions as the OEM filter should work just fine. Caution: If the new fuel filter is too "fat", it will not fit back into the fuel tank. Also, make sure the new fuel filter is inserted correctly with the "in flow arrow" in the proper direction.
  • I used a Purolator F20011 Fuel Filter (plastic, see through filter)
  • Reinstall the two gas line clamps & hoses to the new fuel filter, close the retaining strap and reinstall the Phillips Head screw. It doesn't matter if the strap is not around the new filter, in front of it is OK, as long as the filter is held snuggly to the fuel pump assembly.
  • Liberally clean the fuel pump & fuel pump screen with a good throttle body spray cleaner.

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I haven't had my Nomad delivered yet but wondering how you get inside a Gas Tank to remove the Fuel Pump to clean the Screen, Etc? Is there another opening then the Gas Cap?

How do they get electrical power inside a Gas Tank to power this Fuel pump?

These may be stupid questions as I have not worked on my 2008 Nomad yet.

Northern Dancer,

Ron

There is a large access in the bottom of the tank.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #9

more on fuel pump

The part is definately mitsubishi. It is also used by other motorcycle manufacturers including suzuki. It is a very common pump and after market ones can be bought for as little as $30.00

So if the pump is cheap and mounts directly to kawasaki fuel pump housing then it should be possible to plumb a line from outlet side of pump into a conventional fuel filter then back out through fuel pump housing outlet. Thing to consider may be the need for overflow valve that is incorporated into the plastic housing that surrounds the pump

I'll speak with some fuel injection experts and see what they think. I know they do this routinely on motor cars.

Any thoughts or ideas on this from the members here?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Somewhere in the gas line hose?

Is thier not a seperate fuel filter that must be cleaned and or replaced for regular maintenance?

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
What's puzzling is that the shop manual states the filter is NOT cleanable as it's an internal part of the pump so I'm wondering the precedure to clean it is.??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
What's puzzling is that the shop manual states the filter is NOT cleanable as it's an internal part of the pump so I'm wondering the precedure to clean it is.??

Why worry, buy the Road Glide Ultra!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Why worry, buy the Road Glide Ultra!
Why? So my ABS can go out and my transmission leak oil and my battery dies leaving me stranded so Carl Lewis can push start me???

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #14

You would have to remove the tank from the bike, remove the pump and filter assembly, and disassemble the pump and filter. It seems that Kawasaki has made this part to be replaced as a unit and was not meant to be serviced.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #15

Great detective work. This should go in the 1600 engine maintenance section.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park