Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #46
Mega-Contributor

Who camps on road trips?

Not trying to get off topic too much, but I have to tell this story. When I graduated high school in 1977, my buddy and I bought 12 cases of beer and we drove up to a place my folks had in Island Park Idaho, not far from Yellowstone Park. My dad had a big, 12 man inflatable raft up there, and we spent some time floating the Snake River. We had put the raft in at Big Springs, which is where the Henry's Fork of the Snake River begins. It's a huge natural spring and the water is as clear as tap water until a couple of creeks empty into it. We were going to float down to the Mack's Inn bridge, about 6 miles. He was in the bow and I was at the stern, and we were just floating along, enjoying the June sunshine, drinking Schlitz malt liquor (hey, we were only 18). We were going around a bend and we heard a sound like water running. Soon we could see a huge bull moose standing in the river, relieving himself. My friend was a city boy from Chicago and had no clue what to do. I told him to be still and quiet and we'd get through it. We floated past the moose about 10' away from him. He looked at us, we looked at him. We didn't have a camera with us. After we passed him, he went back to munching moss off the river bottom. It was something I'll never forget. I also got the worse sunburn I'd ever had.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #47

Who camps on road trips?

I do, all the time. Especially after going about 100 miles or so. My left leg and thigh get so .............ohh sorry. I thought the title of this thread was "Who CRAMPS on road trips" :-[
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #48

Who camps on road trips?

You guys with those bunkhouses are SPOILED

I love to camp for some of the reasons mentioned. I enjoy a camp fire and just being outdoors. My day job has me inside most of the time so anytime I can be outside I love it. As far as sleeping in a tent, I enjoy that too. I have loved to camp all of my life and I don't see that changing any time soon. One of the benefits of having a cargo trailer is you can take a small camp stove and a cooler and coffee pot etc.. and you can save a ton of money on the road preparing some of your own meals. Another benefit of a cargo trailer is you can carry a cot Lots better than sleeping on the ground. I recently picked up a pop up tent. it sets up in less than a minute. So for me, i will continue to camp on the road as long as I am able. I just enjoy it way too much.

John

Old 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #49

Who camps on road trips?

I don't know where you buy them, but I saw this lightweight thing at an air show that combines a tent and lightweight camping cot all in one device. I think it would be ideal for MC camping, but I'll bet it ain't cheap.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #50

Who camps on road trips?

Here, I found a link to something similar to what I saw, but this one looks a bit heavier.
tent_cot

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #51

Who camps on road trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Here, I found a link to something similar to what I saw, but this one looks a bit heavier.
tent_cot
CaddmannQ,

That is slick looking! Be kinda hard to get dressed in it

I paid half the asking price for a popup tent and a cot. Found the tent and cot on Amazon.com.

John

Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #52

Who camps on road trips?

I looked around on the web some more, but still didn't find a pic of the one I saw before.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #53

Who camps on road trips?

Camped Big Bend few years ago and Fort Davis same trip. Camped Brackettville year before with different group. Chisos Basin in late August was like having A/C. Did Goose Island last August and it was OK as long as you were moving. If you stood still you dripped with sweat. Bought a battery powered fan, hung it over the ice chest and dreamed of A/C. Goose Island in early Spring or late fall if you want comfort or just stay in a motel. Always had a support vehicle for gear. Don't have a rack for the Nad yet. Can't stand a small tent you can't stand up in. Bought a good sized tent (Ozark Trail) that I call Taj II. Will get a rack or even a small trailer to haul gear. Would like to do Coos Bay Oregon this year if finances don't get in the way. I'd ride solo on that one so I could haul more gear just on the bike. Would like to camp in the mountains next month. I'm in Central Texas so I'm thinkin Colorado or New Mexico. Any suggestions?

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 05-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #54

Who camps on road trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
I don't know where you buy them, but I saw this lightweight thing at an air show that combines a tent and lightweight camping cot all in one device. I think it would be ideal for MC camping, but I'll bet it ain't cheap.
i found a review on that same Tent Cot just thought id share
http://www99.epinions.com/reviews/Do...t_Cot_31077364

looks very nice for one person.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #55

Who camps on road trips?

skeeter, the wife and i are takin the nad and going to colorado in july. already picked out the camping spots the whole way up there. Then lots of camping while riding the around the mountains i grew up in. Hadnt camped in the four years i been living in texas. used to backpack and camp all the time in CO. Camped in beavers bend ok last weekend. lord did i forget how hard the ground is. Riding two up with sleepin bags and tent plus wifes clothing does not leave any room for air matress. Got to find a new remedy to the situation. LOL

Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #56

Who camps on road trips?

colotex, get one of those backpacker air mats that only take a few puffs of air to fill up. Once deflated (I actually suck the air out to get it completely deflated) you can roll it up with the sleeping bag and it doesn't seem to make it any bigger.

It does make a difference sleeping on the ground with one.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #57

Who camps on road trips?

dan, thanks for the tip. will find a couple for sure.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #58

Who camps on road trips?

Planning on camping on the North end of the Natchez Trace on the way to the Smoky Mountains. Staying in cabin for a week in the Smoky's.

Prefer the camping if weather permits.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #59

Send a message via MSN to namvet
Who camps on road trips?

I have always done the camping thing when on the bike, but the last trips were in the late 90's when I was younger. This year, will ride out to Sturgis area with friends and my old riding partner. He lives in Florida and will get here to Fort Wayne on July the 30th and we will leve the next after noon. We will do the camping thing again, like in the old days. I have the air mattress bought and he still has our tent from about 95. We do the KOA campgrounds, that way we get a pool and breakfast in the morning. We will be at the KOA just west of Custer, SD just in case you out that way.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #60
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Who camps on road trips?

What a neat tent cot Cadd. Now I'm interested in finding one!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005