Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #1

Radiator Leak

I seem to have developed a leak coming from the right side of the radiator over the past couple of weeks. It's a super fast green and silver '06 1600.

My bike has been stored in an unheated garage, that never gets below freezing inside, since November 1st. I don't remember seeing any leaks or fluids of any kind on the ground until yesterday when I went down to debate whether or not I wanted to take her out for the first time this year. I will assume (I know, I know) the leak is a recent development.

What I found is about a tablespoon worth of coolant on the ground, dead center under the radiator. The bottom right side of the radiator is wet, the left side is dry. It seems as though the leak might be coming from a seam(?) or a hose (?) on the right, runs down the bottom, hits the center bolt and drops to the ground.

Any idea where it would be coming from or why it would occur now? I'm pretty confident it hasn't been happening over the winter, only within the last week or two.

Thanks,

Russ

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Radiator Leak

Make sure the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator is tight. They can be a little loose from the factory.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Radiator Leak

Like Scott said, check the drain plug. On mine ("05) I had the symptoms you describe. I found my problem to be where the right lower mounting post of the radiator, where it fits into the rubber grommet on the frame, had worn thru the grommet and had been vibrating on the steel frame mount, had rubbed a hole thru the post and was leaking coolant. The radiator is aluminum (thin) so it doesn't take much to puncture it. I checked the price of a new one (nearly $400 ) then checked ebay (prices ranged from $149 to $275) and so I thought I would try a radiator repair shop. I went ahead and flushed the cooling system following Prestone's directions, removed the radiator and carried it to the shop. The guy repaired it right before my eyes buy brazing it with a torch and an aluminum rod, them pressure tested it, gave it back to me, and just charged me $25 . I did have to use a file to smooth it back out to be nice and round, then repainted the whole thing with high temp black paint. I got a new grommet from Kawi, and replaced and refilled with new coolant. A year later, all's still good.

As a side note, Kawasaki lists all 1600s (Nomad, Classic, Mean Streak) as having the same radiator.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Radiator Leak

Check the drain plug as mentioned. Check all the hose connections and clamps for tightness.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Radiator Leak

I had the radiator grommets get sloppy on my bike as well, but caught it before it caused any harm. Take a good look around and see if its worn through anywhere.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #6

Radiator Leak

If it's wet on the right side, I wouldn't think it would be the plug. With the bike on it's side stand, the coolant would drip from the middle of the radiator to the left side. Right side would still be dry.

I'm guessing one of the clamps on a hose has come loose. Try to follow the coolant up to see if you can find it's source of origin.

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #7

Radiator Leak

Where mine was leaking from, I thought it was coming from where the lower hose goes into the radiator (real close to where it was leaking from), but with a flashlight, and the engine running (after the fan had clicked on and off) I found the culprit. It is amazing how a flashlight can focus your attention, you'll see things that you normally would over look.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #8

Radiator Leak

Just finished with a repair to the left mounting stud on the bottom removed the radiator took it to a repair shop. Had it fixed up in no time.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #9

Radiator Leak

I think VulcanE and I share the same problem. As soon as I get time, I'm going to take a closer look and remove the radiator if that's the case. I suspect it is. It's not the drain plug since the coolant is coming down from the right side, hitting the plug and then dropping to the ground.

I love this site as I know whatever problem I encounter, someone else has already been there and usually has a solution. Normally that solution is ten times cheaper than the dealer and just as good, if not better.

I'll post the results of my findings as soon as I know them.

Russ

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin