Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

J&M CB 2003

I've been using a Chatterbox X2 that i used on my 02 Nomad and I've had it with the crappy microphone cables that quit for no reason and poor microphone quality over 55 mph. Plus nobody really makes any 3rd party headsets for it because it's not considered to be a "mainstream" comm system.

I got spoiled with the Goldwing CB setup. I never had a problem hearing over 65 mph because the headsets are better quality and the Wing offers better wind protection. I don't expect to duplicate that on the Nomad but I would like to get close.

I've always liked the J&M CB 2003 unit because of it's size and PTT switch location. What I would like is a picture of one mounted on a 1600 Nomad (and a 1700 if possible) and the antenna mount.I would also like some feedback as well.

1. What size antenna do most go with. 1 ft sounds really short so I was thinking 2ft. mounted to license plate frame.

2 What is the range like in good conditions? On the Wing we could be pretty far apart before Losing the signal.

3. What would you change on the radio if you could?

4. Where did you run the wires? Under the tank I presume.

5. Given that the PTT switch is above your hand, Can you talk and use the clutch at the same time? It looks like it would work fine but wanted real use experience.

6. What microphones are you using? J&M?

7. Does it interfere with anything on the bars? Some of the mount pics on the J&M website it looks like it in front of the mirror slightly on some bikes.

I guess that's it. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #2

J&M CB 2003

For headset, I don't think there's any better than J&M's. Sure they're pricey but you get what you pay for. Also, you can't beat J&M's customer service IF you ever need it!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

J&M CB 2003

I believe Idaho has one on his 1600.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
J&M CB 2003

Trip has one too. I think I'm going to go this route too Dan. Pricey but I've heard nothing but great reviews on the quality.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller
J&M CB 2003

i have one on my 1600 i also have a wing it works as good or better then the wings radio use a mp3 with it and get fm radio you will be surprise on how well it works

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Advanced Member

J&M CB 2003

i mounted the antenna to the muffer mount

Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #7

J&M CB 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoller
i have one on my 1600 i also have a wing it works as good or better then the wings radio use a mp3 with it and get fm radio you will be surprise on how well it works
Can you send me a picture of the head unit and the antenna mounted? After two failures of Chatterbox equip on our trip this week my friend and I want something reliable. We really missed having them today as we rode over Newfound Gap in the pouring rain and then on the 400 trip home.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #8

J&M CB 2003

I will try and post some pictures when it stops raining. My J&M is mounted to the left mirror post. Remove the mirror add mounting bracket and put mirror back on. I was able to get a picture of the mount off of there web page and I made it out of an old handicap sign (aluminum) saved 40 bucks. I have an extended antenna mount that comes off of the lic plate, make sure and ground the antenna if you do not mount it to metal. I have two helmets with the headset, both of them I purchased off of Ebay for way less than the price of the headset its self. One Nolan 3/4 and another shorty helmet, I have less than 150.00 in both, price the headsets and you will see that is a good deal. I ran the wires under the tank and up the steering column. Most of the guys I ride with have them and they work very well at any speed.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Advanced Member

J&M CB 2003

i did not like the way the ant. looked hooked to licence plate so i used the bracket mounted to muffler mount and run it back from there that way it does not rub on any thing will hasve to take picture and post

Old 09-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #10

J&M CB 2003

Thanks for the replies.

When I had my wing I purchased an Edapter from EdSets to allow the usage of earbuds with a headset. I actually cut the speakers off my headsets. I found a place that makes the same kind of adapter for the chatterbox when I went back to the Nomad. EdSets main business is headsets and they will make you one without the speakers so you can use their Edapter + earbuds. That's my plan right now for the CB 2003. I know a lot of people on the Goldwing forum prefer the EdSet headsets over J&M so it's a quality product.

I like the idea of mounting off the exhaust mounts as I was worked that the license plate mount would make the antenna interfere with my Kuryakynt tour bag I use.

This is all GREAT stuff. My friend and I are planning a trip out west next year and we want to get setup with a better comm system over the winter.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #11

J&M CB 2003

For an antenna mount, TomK used a license plate CB antenna mount his way.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #12

J&M CB 2003

I've had one for about a year and a half now and use the J&M headsets. My wife and I can talk easily up to 70. The CB has decent range (make sure you have the SWR adjusted). Using the J&M mount there's not much clearance between the CB control pod and the hi/lo beam switch. I can thumb it to lo beam then use my index finger to go back to hi beam. I could probably shim it to get more clearance but it's not much of a hassle. The transmit lever for the CB is easy to use. I don't bother transmitting while shifting.
The CB shop that adjusted my SWR went to a 4' whip antennae. Since I have a trunk on my bike, I bent the license plate mount bracket that came with the unit 90 degrees and mounted it to the side of theWompus rack, works just fine.
All in all I'm real happy with the setup and so is the wife. Darned expensive but I've had no disappointments.