Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Car Tire- Darkside- Assure me- the mechanics deter me..

For those with a car tire on the rear... Please assure me that the tire is ok.. Assure me that I can still turn the bike.. Assure me that the ride quality will stay in motorcycle character.. Assure me that I will not be scared to death when taking a turn...

I have been to 2 places to get the tire put on... one said that 195/55/16 isnt going to fit..??
Please tell me that size is a fitting size...

Both places said its not a good idea... \

I have been riding for quite a while and I say I can ride pretty well... So from experiences good riders could you tell a difference..

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

I have been riding on a CT for over 25000 miles and have had no problems. In my opinion the bike handles better with the CT than the Mt. The ride is much better. I am running a 205/60-16 so a 195/55-16 should fit just fine. As far as I am concerned i will not go back to a MT
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Last edited by bigdave; 07-25-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
If you have a 1600 up to a 205 will fit. Unfortunately nobody can assure anyone of anything running a CT. I have now for 27K and love it. It handles differently but not for the worse. Just different. On the highway the ride is like a Caddy!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #4

I've had one for about 1.5 yrs. I've probably put 6-7 miles on it. It looks like the day I put it on. I love the way it handles and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. It handles corners with ease and I feel I have more grip with it. I feel more secure than I did with the m/c tire. Do it and you'll love it!! Don't let somebody that has no idea what they are talking about deter from it. They haven't tried it, haven't researched it, and probably haven't thought about it until you brought yours in. They don't like it because it's different and out of the normal everyday thing. They also won't be seeing you in 7k miles to put another m/c tire on. They lose a little business with every darksider.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Think of the car tire from the dealers prospective for a moment and see if the light comes on.

If they only mount and/or recommend motorcycle tires, there is a chance that you will buy the tire there and have it mounted there. ($+$=$$$)

If they mount and/or recommend a car tire, you will most likely buy it elsewhere and wont be back to mount another one for the equivalent mileage of 3 or 4 motorcycle tires. ($$$-$$=ยข)

Even if you happen to find the only shop for miles around that sells and mounts all sorts of tires on anything they will fit . . . Do you think that a salesperson would rather sell you 3 or 4 $250.00 tires or just one $120.00 tire? Not to mention 3 or 4 mount/balance services instead of 1.

As for assurances, People have been putting car tires on motorcycles for decades. The incidence of tire related accidents are no different one way or the other. Yes, the ride is different. So what! The ride is different between a Voyager and a Vaquero. That doesn't mean one of them if bad, just different.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #6

I have the Dunlop SP5000 and love it. Won't go back to a MT on the rear. You just run it at a much lower pressure, from 28-30 psi.

Dennis "Master Mac" McHenry
VROC#880, VBA#673, DarkSide#273
'15 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
'05 Vulcan 1600 Nomad (Left the nest)
'02 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi (RIP)
'95 Vulcan 750, (Retired)
Houston/Klien, Tx

Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses guys... I guess I know it will handle differently I just want to be assured that it is manageable.

You both have basically confirmed that it is different but manageable. And you get used to the tire.. and it should fit.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

I went dark 4000 miles ago. Contrary to what others say about handling i find no difference in the way my nomad handles.....absolutely no difference. Have no plans to ever buy another m tire for the rear of my bikes again.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #9

I watched Idaho tossing his 1600 around at the Canmore rally and he sure as heck didn't seem to have any issues with his car tire.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Old 07-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #10

In the early 1970's a friend of mine cut out the center of a 14" car rim and spoked it up to the rear hub of his H-D. He ran a fat tire that looked like it was more intended for off road. I don't remember the size or make, but that was almost 40 years ago. Dark Side isn't a new idea. Motorcycle mechanics/shops refusing to do work for paying customers is the "new" part.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #11

I had a car tire and have gone back to mc tire. I may go back to a car tire for the longevity and smooth ride. Also the car tire is thicker and will hold a tubeless plug better.

I had the sp 5000. My only knock on the car tire was on rough country roads the back tire seemed to want to steer the bike. My tire man said all big wide tires feel like that and he hears the same comment whenever he mounts a wide tire. My 2 cents.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #12

You didn't say in your post what type of Nomad you have, but looking at your avatar, it looks like you have a 1500, and yes the tire you have will fit, I don't think a 205 will, but the 195 I know will fit. I've had my Goodyear TripleTred (GYTT) on since mid 2009, and with well over 20,000 miles, it still has 8/32 of 10/32 tread left on it. It did take a little getting used to, but after a short time, it feels natural. It handles the curves ,breaking, and wet roads much better than any of the other 5 MC rear tires I wore out on my bike. And, a big + is that just cruising, it rides SOOOOOOOOOOOO much smoother. I'm not trying to talk you into it, just giving my own personal experiences.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #13

I can ride my bike with a cartire anywhere anyone else can, and keep up with them no problem through the corners at all. It will fit, tell them to just mount it and youve done your research.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #14

I have about 20k on my first CT that I got used from a real nice fellow on this site, he did not like it. Unless it is an emergency, I won't put another MT on the back. I'm kind of long in the tooth so it took me about 4k to get used to it. But I also grew up with straight side walls front and back. I don't drag pipes or boards as much as I did 40 years ago, but I still can with the CT if I decide.
Thanks for you time

Old 07-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Advanced Member

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post
I've had one for about 1.5 yrs. I've probably put 6-7 miles on it. It looks like the day I put it on. I love the way it handles and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. It handles corners with ease and I feel I have more grip with it. I feel more secure than I did with the m/c tire. Do it and you'll love it!! Don't let somebody that has no idea what they are talking about deter from it. They haven't tried it, haven't researched it, and probably haven't thought about it until you brought yours in. They don't like it because it's different and out of the normal everyday thing. They also won't be seeing you in 7k miles to put another m/c tire on. They lose a little business with every darksider.
6-7 miles I hope it looks like new
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Last edited by skiman; 07-25-2012 at 08:27 PM.