Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #1

Rear Shocks...air pressure or damper

someone please remind me. When should you increase / decrease rear shock air pressure and when should you adjust the damper setting?

I'm sure I used to know the answer to this question, but not any more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Increase pressure when riding double or packing a load (like Todd riding single! )

The damper settings control the "speed of compression and/or rebound" depending on style of shock.

I use the yardstick of for every 10 lbs. of pressure I add one click to the damper.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Increase pressure when riding double or packing a load (like Todd riding single! )

The damper settings control the "speed of compression and/or rebound" depending on style of shock.

I use the yardstick of for every 10 lbs. of pressure I add one click to the damper.
That works for me, though I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm running 30 PSI and #3 on rebound damping for two-up riding. It gives me good control without being to stiff a ride. At 15 PSI and #2 it felt like a pogo stick over big bumps.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Does anyone ever use setting "I"?
I have never found any use of setting "I"..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #5

I use setting "I". I run 27 psi constantly with a progressive shock balancing kit, and adjust rebound to the load. "I" when solo and empty, "II" when 2-up and empty, "III" & "IIII" when loaded for either a weekend or week long trip. Bike is stable on all road surfaces. Only complaint is being hard in a curve, and hitting those "Tar Snakes" on a really hot day..... , it'll make your hiney pucker.......

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Top Contributor

+1 on the tar snakes Cliff. When a 105 out here it feels squirrely for sure.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney

Yeah ran over plenty of them yesterday on my 340+ mile ride.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #8

I played with my settings too, even put an equalizer kit and gauge on her to refine my pressure. This helped out big time. I ride aggressively thru the mountains and handling is very important to me along with comfort. Over the past winter with the bike in the garage and tempertures hitting -50 for over 3 wks., the shock seals shrunk and began to leak oil..lots of oil. I've had air shocks before and never liked them so the oppurtunity to replace them came up. I did some research of what was out there..hmmm..nothing for the nomad!! I got a hold of Progressive shocks in Texas and they told me there wasn't enough demand for the Nomad for them to make shocks for them. Off the record the gal did say that the nomad shock (07) is 12.7" and they recomend the 412 or 440 13" shock as a replacement. The 1600 classic and the 99 Valkrie use this shock. The 440's are what I wanted (compression and dampening) but the price is outrageous. I went with the 412's..dampening only. After shipping, tax, customs and us/can. exchange rate, my cost was 340 bucks cdn.. They supplied the washers for spacers too but I machined aluminum spacers instead. Easy installation and the ride is superb. I will never go back to air shocks again!!..Bdog

Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"

That's funny BD. Your formula SUCKS. I run out of clicks before I even sit my fat ass down.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

What is hot weather? It ain't been over 50 degrees in a hell of a while. I for got about tar snakes when I got the SP 5000 rear tire.. what tar snakes?

In my life I never weighed over 160, and haven't hit that since May 10th 1979, which was the kast day I weighed that much, and have never fond any use of setting "I".

I didn't know why it was there, but I take it it helps on the slimey slick tar snakes then???

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
What is hot weather? It ain't been over 50 degrees in a hell of a while. I for got about tar snakes when I got the SP 5000 rear tire.. what tar snakes?

In my life I never weighed over 160, and haven't hit that since May 10th 1979, which was the kast day I weighed that much, and have never found any use of setting 1 "I".

I didn't know why it was there, but I take it it helps on the slimey slick tar snakes then???

They needed a setting 1 because without it , setting 2 becomes setting 1. Then setting 3 would become setting 2. 4 would become 3.
If they did that and you wanted to run on setting 2 you would really be running on setting 1 which you have no use for so then you would have to run on 3 which would actually put you on setting 2 that you wanted in the first place. Understand ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

TC have you been taking politians 1? You just made a pain between my ears.

I am a simple man, belive it. I like my drinks straight up, my women soft, and my ride stiff. So far I got no use of setting 1.

Just might use 85/90 gear oil in the ft forks to settle that mushy feeling once and for all.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac