Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #19

I love reading this thread. I hate splitting the cases, just for a oilpump, but, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I'm no stranger to fishing things up thru passages, drilling, etc. You have to realize the FU potential is way on up there for folks getting over their heads.
After reading all this, hope the guy can get it fixed without trashing his engine.
By the time all this elective surgery is done, you won't know if its a good, dependable fix.
Now, if you pull the motor, take it to a dealership, theres no reason why in a couple of weeks you can't pick up your motor, like new, for $1500-$1800. If you love your bike, its a good deal! All new bearings, pump, pistons w/rings, a fresh rebore if she needs it, valve job, new gaskets, etc.
Another alternative will be find a later model 1600 engine, low miles outta another Nomad, and just bolt her in. You can pick up a low mileage 1600 engine for $1200 to $1800 complete, with a warranty off ebay. Either sell your old 1500 engine complete or part her out. If you plan on keeping the bike, you can have that one rebuilt at your leasure, waiting for that 150,000 or so mile mark to get close. Then swap them out.
You'll have extra parts, should you need them, which is a plus also.
Just my 2 pecos, but, don't try a shoddy repair and ruin a good engine. Do whichever your comfortable with and can afford.
A $1200-$1800 for a newer 1600 engine is alot cheaper than another bike, plus, it'll put a really big smile on your face with that added stroke in the bottomend.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 11-27-2016 at 06:07 AM.