Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada East Group

Old 03-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #16

SPRING IS COMING

Donnie, Maybe you should wait till they have paid for the Olympics before moving to the west coast. It only took us a little over 30 years to pay for the 1976 Olympics in Montréal.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #17

SPRING IS COMING

HAHAHAH Yeah wait for the taxes to come back down :):) But I don'r think I have that many years in me :) and if I do, I probably won't know where the Hell I am ....LOL

Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #18

SPRING IS COMING

Sure you do, within 30 years they will probably have perfected the "for ever young pill", and just think how much nicer the Nomads will be by then.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #19

SPRING IS COMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh

Put a snow tire on the bike. ;)
I didn't know that law affected bikes on the road, I thought it was just for cars and trucks.
The police make a point of going after any bike they see on the road , regardless of the weather conditions during the mandatory period for all motor vehicles ( Dec 15 to March 15 ). It would not matter if you put a CT snow tire on a bike. Their rational, there is no snow tires designed specifically for motorcycles, so your guilty and you would need two. By the way we now pay over $600 for a bike plate that is valid for 12 months, but thanks to this law, can`t legally use the bike for 3 of those months and no refunds
Just another TAX GRAB!
WOW, $600 to plate a bike!! $30 here in NB, but insurance rates are climbing every year - even for old guys like me.

Rumours keep swirling that NB just might hop on that mandatory snow tire law bandwagon, too. Not looking forward to those days. I think it's a ridiculous law.

Just curious...anyone actually been stopped since the law was put in place?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #20

SPRING IS COMING

Around the 15 th of Dec, the start of the mandatory period, they usually go on a little blitz checking cars and trucks. The fine is $200 - $300. I don't think they pay much attention during winter unless you are stopped for something else, or are involved in an accident. Tires marked M+S ( mud and snow) are not acceptable while tires marked LT ( light truck ) are acceptable up to the year 2014. This makes no sense to me. I have some really nice 6 ply LT tires for my truck that I use in summer. They are hairy as anything to drive with on snow, and would get stuck on flat ground. I would never think of using these in the winter, but they are legal.
I'm not really against the snow tire law. My wife's 4wd came with some nice big lugged off road type tires that went well in the snow in 4 wheel drive, but after putting on good quality snow and ice tires, the difference was amazing.
Now bikes are a different thing. Motorcycles used for emergency purposes are exempt, so the cop bikes are OK. It can be a raging snow Storm anytime before the 15th of Dec or after the 15th of March and if I am stupid enough to take my bike out in it, I'm legal, but take it out during the snow tire period, regardless of how exceptional the weather and / or the road conditions and they will nail you. There are a lot of bikes in Québec, so I We are just a cash cow to the government.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #21

SPRING IS COMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Around the 15 th of Dec, the start of the mandatory period, they usually go on a little blitz checking cars and trucks. The fine is $200 - $300. I don't think they pay much attention during winter unless you are stopped for something else, or are involved in an accident. Tires marked M+S ( mud and snow) are not acceptable while tires marked LT ( light truck ) are acceptable up to the year 2014. This makes no sense to me. I have some really nice 6 ply LT tires for my truck that I use in summer. They are hairy as anything to drive with on snow, and would get stuck on flat ground. I would never think of using these in the winter, but they are legal.
I'm not really against the snow tire law. My wife's 4wd came with some nice big lugged off road type tires that went well in the snow in 4 wheel drive, but after putting on good quality snow and ice tires, the difference was amazing.
Now bikes are a different thing. Motorcycles used for emergency purposes are exempt, so the cop bikes are OK. It can be a raging snow Storm anytime before the 15th of Dec or after the 15th of March and if I am stupid enough to take my bike out in it, I'm legal, but take it out during the snow tire period, regardless of how exceptional the weather and / or the road conditions and they will nail you. There are a lot of bikes in Québec, so I We are just a cash cow to the government.
You guys sure have some dumb laws there, and high gas prices.
I I had to $600.00 to plate the bike I wouldn't be able to ride one.
The snow tire law isn't too bad but forces everyone to buy an extra set of rims and tires.
Somedays here Id like to see a 4wd only law on snowy roads.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #22

SPRING IS COMING

Well Steve,
Where ever you live I find the powers that be find unique ways to take your money. It does seem though that we get more than our share of free bullsh*t. Gas is high but then hydro is cheap. Do you guys pay a delivery charge on your hydro bill in your area? I know my mother did when she lived in Alexandria Ont. $30 a month delivery charge for electricity, how could they come up with that one and keep a straight face? If you have two sets of tires for your car, they should last twice as long ( in theory ) as one set. Jobber rims are about $25 a piece and do keep the nice rims away from the salt and calcium, so all and all the law does not bother me. Just the bike part of the law and yes the plate is a ridiculous price. I just try to ride the bike as much as possible in the summer to get my moneys worth.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #23

SPRING IS COMING

We have the delivery fee and a debt recovery fee on hydro, a delivery fee on natural gas, and a couple other fee's that bug me. Even our cable has a fee for ongoing or future R&D, that one really bugs me. My wife looks after paying the bills, its best that I don't even see them. Evry time I get on the phone with them I get mad and end up cancelling. Ive cancelled our cable twice, and the phone once, then my wife goes and gets it back again.
I gave up my cell phone two years ago and don't miss it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #24

SPRING IS COMING

I think I'll put chains on my motorcycle tires if the snow soon doesn't go away...

Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #25

SPRING IS COMING

Like I said, they get you where ever they can. They still haven't taxed sailboat fuel yet, but they are probably working on it.

We were without cell phones for a while and it did not bother me, bothered the people who could not get a hold of me more.
Lately my wife is suggesting that we get ride of the house phone and just keep the cell phones. Really we do not need both. Neither of my kids have house phones and they get along just fine.

Gary-o, I hear you often get tons of snow, so when is your bike season, August 1st to August 30 th? sorry I just couldn't resist.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #26

SPRING IS COMING

APPARENTLY the white crap is on it's way back tonignt! for Chr...t sake man, it's 17 degrees outside (celcius) , I'm wearing shorts and the roads are finally (almost anyway) clean.... W T F !!!!! oh ya, GO HABS GO...
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #27

SPRING IS COMING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly
APPARENTLY the white crap is on it's way back tonignt! for Chr...t sake man, it's 17 degrees outside (celcius) , I'm wearing shorts and the roads are finally (almost anyway) clean.... W T F !!!!! oh ya, GO HABS GO...
Unbelievable, I hear there is a weather warning for the Eastern Townships 15-20 centimeters possible. Back to warmer weather Thursday.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #28

SPRING IS COMING

same for Qc city, sucks.... 19 degrees on Thursday???? go figure, after the game will go to bed till the next game.... est c'est le BUTTTTTT, 3-0 Habs!!!
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14