Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

clutch seems to slip! UPDATE

02 1500 nomad fi. took the bike out after sitting all winter and noticed on heavy accereration clutch seemed to slip. I only have 18500 miles. thinking of the gadget mod changing clutch spring. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
02 1500 nomad fi. took the bike out after sitting all winter and noticed on heavy accereration clutch seemed to slip. I only have 18500 miles. thinking of the gadget mod changing clutch spring. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
When you roll on the throttle from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th does it slip or rev but doesn't seem to move forward. If that's the case, then very likely the clutch is slipping. But just before you do that when is the last time you bleed and changed the clutch fluid? You have to open up the LEFT side (take off the gear change arm and floorboard) and then take off the chrome cover. I'd do that anyway and test it again just to be sure. If it's still doing that, then next step is to do the clutch spring. I'd suggest the 2002 Mean steak clutch spring. You may also want to get the new parts for the 2004 up Nomad that has a 2 piece design.
They are:
13280-1306 Holder
13280-1307 Holder
92144-1934 Spring
92144-1188 Washer x 3
and the gasket for your bike.

If you haven't read Gadget's pages on this I'd suggest doing so first. It's not a hard job but will take you a few hours to complete. Also make a template of those bolts on the side cover as every one is different lengths and it can be a bitch to figure that out ONCE its all apart and time to reassemble. Cardboard works well for this using the gasket for a template of the bolts to sit into as you take them out.

hope that helps.

Scott

Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

Hey Scott, I did'nt notice any slip in the higher gears only when in second just starting out. To answer your question about fluid change i have not done that yet. i still have to do my oil change and other service for the beginning of the season. I have read gadgets page on the clutch spring replacement and thats what gave me the idea, He mentioned in there about fuel economy loss which my fuel economy SUCKS! I took the goat belly out and debaffled the previous owner did other mods such as an on/off switch for the solinoids and plates he also had a tfi hooked up but i took off thinking i was getting bad milage due to that. i could never get the tfi set right( to inprove milage) i never felt and change in performance either. i am going to do thee fluid change on the clutch and brake fluid this year when i do my oil change.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Hey Scott, I did'nt notice any slip in the higher gears only when in second just starting out. To answer your question about fluid change i have not done that yet. i still have to do my oil change and other service for the beginning of the season. I have read gadgets page on the clutch spring replacement and thats what gave me the idea, He mentioned in there about fuel economy loss which my fuel economy SUCKS! I took the goat belly out and debaffled the previous owner did other mods such as an on/off switch for the solinoids and plates he also had a tfi hooked up but i took off thinking i was getting bad milage due to that. i could never get the tfi set right( to inprove milage) i never felt and change in performance either. i am going to do thee fluid change on the clutch and brake fluid this year when i do my oil change.
I think you meant take off in 1st gear. If your taking off in 2nd well don't..LOL..
But if that is when it's doing this, it well could be that the clutch fluid is contaminated. But also the push rod for the clutch could be sticking. So when you are doing the clutch fluid and bleeding, check that the rod is moving freely as well.
But it still maybe the clutch? Also just to ask what oil are you using? Hope not regular CAR oil? It has friction modifiers and can cause the clutch to slip and glaze the friction plates. If you take the clutch cover off, to replace the clutch spring, inspect the friction plates and if find them glazed you can take some emery cloth to them and lightly remove this. Also can check the thinckness at the same time.
A few things you can check to start with.

Scott

Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #5

My bad, i meant after i shift into 2 nd gear from 1 st then power into it thats when i feel the slip. i am going out today to get the stuff i need. to be honest i have had this bike for a few years and have'nt changed the clutch or brake fluid so i am going to do it now. I use a synthetic blend for the engine oil thats about it.Thats for you input.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
he also had a tfi hooked up but i took off thinking i was getting bad milage due to that. i could never get the tfi set right( to inprove milage) i never felt and change in performance either.

If you couldn't tell any difference after removing, or in changing the settings, it wasn't connected right. After installing my TFI, and getting it set, I not only gained a very noticeable amount of HP, my fuel mileage went up to a consistent 42-44 mpgs.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
My bad, i meant after i shift into 2 nd gear from 1 st then power into it thats when i feel the slip. i am going out today to get the stuff i need. to be honest i have had this bike for a few years and have'nt changed the clutch or brake fluid so i am going to do it now. I use a synthetic blend for the engine oil thats about it.Thats for you input.
The synthetic blend you use? Is it designed specifically for a motorcycle? Since we have an oil bathed clutch, this can be a problem with some that again use additives that are not good for a clutch that shares engine oil. Just something to think about, and check when you do take it apart. I'd suggest doing the swing arm service too then if you've not done those others, then I doubt you've done that either and sounds like it's all due!!! Being the bike is now 9 years old some of it needs to be addressed now so it's in tip top shape for your next adventure.

Scott

Old 03-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

maybe i will re-install the tfi and make sure connections are good. the syn-blend is for mototrcycles it get my parts from my local honda dealer. I should have done my swing arm last year when i had the rear wheel off. was also thinking of doing the grease fitting so i can grease it easier.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #9

It sounds like you need a new spring, like Scott said, check out Gadgets sight and its not that hard to do. I also used a Mean Streak spring and I like it a lot better. Its not that hard to do at all

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Hey Tom,

The clutch issue has been addressed numerous times in recent weeks. Try the search function and read up on them. Lots of good information! I'm just too lazy right now to supply links. My '04 is torn down to the basket waiting on the Gorilla clutch to arrive!

I performed the mean streak spring install last year or so but I now have over 40K miles and it is slipping again. New plates and different spring! It is easy as long as you follow the steps!

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Ahh, here's a good one for you!

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=20978

Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #12

Thanks for all the info...i did the clutch spring and also flushed the clutch fluid. also did the swing arm lube....busy week..