Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Tire wear and engine braking

I have been researching for replacing my rear tire, and came across the following statement. I wondered what some of you more experienced riders thought (especially you mech-heads).

"Engine braking is the exercise of downshifting and releasing the clutch through all the gears when coming to a stop. On most modern bikes equipped with disc brakes this old timer's use of the engine to aid in braking is totally unnecessary. Doing so will loose you thousands of serviceable miles on your rear tire, will double the stress on your drive train and could cause your rear wheel to lock (even on a bike with ABS) causing a crash. When coming to a normal stop (red light etc) downshifting commensurate with your speed is still essential to bike safety (in case you need to power out of a jam), but releasing the clutch when doing so is not necessary and adds greatly rear tire flat band center wear. Keep that clutch pulled."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Doug I don't downshift all the way through the gears. I usually will let the bike slow in 5th and then will downshift to 4th and allow the bike to slow. I do use the brakes both front and rear. I keep gentle pressure on both brakes while slowing. Once I am almost stopped I then downshift all the way to 1st. Can't see that downshifting is going to wear the tires anymore than just using the brake. Just my thought. I will continue to stop by downshifting as stated above.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #3

Ive always geared down any manual shift vehicle I drive. I don't think its bad for the vehicle, and it does add greatly to your stopping power. If you gear down properly its fine, if you do it too aggressively you will put a strain on your drive train, but its like anything that has to be learned.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

What the paragraph is saying is that you don't need to downshift to stop on a modern bike. With our slipper clutches, you can downshift and not lock the rear wheel, which is what the author was cautioning about. He says as you are coming to a stop, pull in the clutch, hold it in while braking, and downshift as appropriate in case you have to speed up again. You don't want to be coming to a stop at 10 MPH while in 5th gear and have to take off quickly.

I still use engine braking, always have and probably always will.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #5

In most cases I try to use the gears to slow down while riding around town, and use the brakes just to come to a final stop at a light or stop sign whenever I can.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

I use the engine and let out the clutch in gears slow slowing. Like you do getting going in 1st. So what if a wet clutch slips some slowing? That is a non issue since it isn't long enough to cause heat and excessive friction.

I hardley ever use brakes to stop until i am at just a few mph about as fast as a man can walk, or a little tap into a curve if i am a bit too fast at entery.

I got 18,700 on the oem pads and show no sign of wear. That one bad stop last year with the moose was about the only time I really let down the anchors. The one thing I didn't do that night I wished I did was hit the engine kill switch let more compression force the rear tire to bite. I was busy thinking to get stopped and not hit that moose too.

I was downshifting and letting the clutch have at it too. There have been other panic jabs when a cager pulls out on me, but I don't brake long then either.

We can't really skid from the rear down shifting with that slipper clutch design. Maybe the guys with a Barnett Spring can.

Don't get in this guys habit, you want to let out the clutch and use the brakes lesser. Always shifting down when that RPM comes to do so Always.

In a panic stop you don't want to be a neutral condition ever, and that is a bad habit to learn. If you learn it, you will do it in a panic stop, and crash.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #7

I installed the Judges washers when I replaced my clutch spring and my wheel will lock up gearing down if you are gearing down to fast. However if you know how to gear down properly it isn't an issue at all.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #8

First off, the 09 Nomads WILL lock the rear tire when downshifting agressively. It just takes a little learning as to how fast you let the clutch out when downshifting. (What's a slipper clutch?? )

I use downshifting all of the time. It's an old habit. After I'm down to 2nd. gear it's time to get serious about the application of brakes. I don't use first for braking though.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #9

A slipper clutch is a built in feature that allows the clutch to slip on downshifts to prevent the wheel from locking up. My opinion is that its there mainly for people that don't know how to ride very well. If it was that great of an idea why wouldn't all bikes, cars, and trucks have it? Perhaps they have done away with it on the 09's.
Ive had about fifteen bikes over the years and the Nomad is the only one Ive ever had with that feature.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

But Ring,,, every modern Superbike has a slipper clutch... Every one of them! It is a worthwhile feature.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
But Ring,,, every modern Superbike has a slipper clutch... Every one of them! It is a worthwhile feature.
Would that be a glass slipper, Cinderella?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #12

I have never noticed any problems downshifting. Only time I think it would be a issue is when you go from 4th to 2nd that will really get your attention.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I installed the Judges washers when I replaced my clutch spring and my wheel will lock up gearing down if you are gearing down to fast. However if you know how to gear down properly it isn't an issue at all.
I suspected that, but when the day comes I need that spring it will be Barnett. I had that brand clutch in a 68 Firebird and loved it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City Stan
First off, the 09 Nomads WILL lock the rear tire when downshifting agressively. It just takes a little learning as to how fast you let the clutch out when downshifting. (What's a slipper clutch?? )

I use downshifting all of the time. It's an old habit. After I'm down to 2nd. gear it's time to get serious about the application of brakes. I don't use first for braking though.
LOL Yeah, That's what you say now! Til you go n' tear the cogs off the belt it will.

(teasing since you can't really tear the cog off the belt.)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
BD, Ya fergot the' look'. ::)

Next we get ABS, tire psi sensors, that don't work, anti crash devices that take over if you get with in 3 seconds of a hard object, which means if you ride in a group and someone in the group sees a hot babe, something will be hard, and we can't crash.

Won't that be nice? ::)

I kinda wish we could all go back Retro and have kick starters, de-comp levers, and spark retard.

Used to be the sign of a biker was walking with a limp.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac